collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 535
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Button flies 30 hours for driving lessons on McLaren simulator  (Read 3838 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
They sure work the new boys hard at Macca, no tea and sympathy with his Girlfriend in Japan after his 8th place for JB :D

Shortly after the chequered flag fell in Maylasia, McLaren ordered Jenson Button to begin a 30-hour return to Europe. Flying to F1's next stop, Shanghai, would have cost the reigning world champion just five hours in the air, and only a couple more hours would have had him relaxing in his Japanese girlfriend Jessica's native Japan.

But McLaren wanted Button, 30, to instead complete the 21,000 kilometre marathon for just a single working day at the wheel of the sophisticated driver simulator at Woking.

He will then fly from the UK back to Asia for a holiday, prior to completing the journey to China for round four next weekend.

"Thirty hours travel for one day," Button smilingly contemplated before leaving Kuala Lumpur. "But it will be worth it, hopefully."

After winning in Melbourne, Button comparatively struggled in Malaysia, climbing to eighth on Sunday while his teammate Lewis Hamilton finished a highly-commended sixth from lower on the grid.

Button is struggling with the balance of the MP4-25, while McLaren want him to hone the latest developments that are due to be added to the package in Shanghai.

"The great thing is our car is improving all the time, but I'm still not 100 per cent happy with its balance," the Briton said.

"Hopefully we can sort out some of the problems in the simulator. It's a long way back but they wouldn't be sending me unless there were a few things to test."

OneStopSrategy.com, Today

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:25:42 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

markb

Re: Button flies 30 hours for driving lessons on McLaren simulator
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Sounds promising!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
Why Button and not Hamilton?

(Not that I'm trying to start anything...  >:D)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
Now that's what I call cost containment!  :nono:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
Really, wouldn't it be about the same expense to box up the simulator and install it somewhere in Asia for both of them to use for a week or so?  Maybe it's not so simple to box it up, but it seems a bit much to fly Button around the world for a day of simulation.  One more race and they're back in Europe anyhow.  Stuff like this makes it seem like the teams aren't serious about saving money.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »

I reckon it's part of Macca's new punishment routine for finishing out of the top 6! :D :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »
Really, wouldn't it be about the same expense to box up the simulator and install it somewhere in Asia for both of them to use for a week or so?  Maybe it's not so simple to box it up, but it seems a bit much to fly Button around the world for a day of simulation.  One more race and they're back in Europe anyhow.  Stuff like this makes it seem like the teams aren't serious about saving money.

Aren't the simulators multi tonne devices?  While I'm sure they can be packed up and shipped, I doubt they were designed for that.  Finding a location to set one up, and then making sure it's tuned right probably isn't something that can be done on short notice.  And if the thing isn't setup exactly right, then what's the point? 

Also, considering that a few years ago - for less money than he's making now - Button would have been expected to be on the test track by now.  This is hardly an odious chore for an F1 driver, and probably a step towards getting around the testing ban that other teams might follow with their own simulators.

As for saving money, I don't believe McLaren has ever been at the forefront of 'cost control'  (heck, just their annual fines could've run USF1 for 3 years...)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »
Apparently Hamilton has also made the trip.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/13977.html
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
Apparently Hamilton has also made the trip.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/13977.html

I wonder if some of the bigger teams might try to establish 'regional' simulators as a way to attract top drivers.  Why drive for McLaren, who are going to make you give up two vacation days just to go ALL the way back to England, when you can drive for Ferrari who have a simulator just a short flight away in Japan? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle