collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 612
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Briatore says he could return to F1 'after 2012'  (Read 4530 times)

markb

Re: Briatore says he could return to F1 'after 2012'
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
As I suggested above, Sir Jacky would have the respect of F1 fans and racing drivers alike, what more could we ask for?

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
Jackie wouldn't do it, unless begged, and Bernie certainly isn't going there...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
The court decision in Paris set aside the bans for Flavio & Pat, I don't believe any appeal has been lodged to the court decision although the FIA {John S - 5 posts before end of page 1}

The court declared the ban invalid on the grounds that it had been arrived at in a manner contrary to the FIA's own statutes. Legally, Briatore and Symonds are entitled to walk in and take any role in FIA sport that they wish without restriction, unless the FIA decides to appeal or find a way of banning them that is compatible with its own statutes. There are two reasons why this hasn't happened in Flavio's case:

1) the FIA has decided to maintain the ban despite being told it can't

2) Flavio considers himself to be more interested in stuff that doesn't require any more freedom than has informally been established (for example he still runs his management company which he could not do if the ban was still being enforced by the court)

Neither of these factors is likely to change just because 2012 comes and goes. If they'd said 2014 I might have been better convinced - it makes a kind of sense to treat Symonds and Briatore similarly - but to give Briatore lighter treatment is just too implausible for it to be anything more than an attempt by Bernie to give the press something to talk about.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »

I appreciate this is all very muddled up at present Ali and there is no proper legal ban on Flavio & Pat, so in theory they could be hired by any team.

IMHO, and I believe you are alluding to something similar yourself, the FIA is unlikely to make any further moves against the two unless either man suddenly joins a team on the grid. This leaves the longer term question up in the air. My reasoning about 2012  is that it gives sufficient time for the FIA to reach a compromise about the situation with both Flavio and Pat as well.

The longer the FIA takes to appeal the case the weaker their argument is likely to become, there may also be a time limit on the appeal process so either way the present bans increasingly look unenforcable. I cannot believe that Briatore's lawyers have not had contact with the FIA, especially about the management role that he continues to pursue, I should also not be a bit suprised if they have had talks about the court annulled lifetime ban. This being the case they will need to find a compromise solution and a 3 year ban for Flavio seems a nice round number. ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
A '0' year ban is rounder   :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
John S, you are correct about me alluding to the FIA not doing anything further until/unless Symonds and Briatore attempt to re-join the grid (or else take a position in the sport that could be damaging to the FIA).

For one thing, if the ban still held, Flavio could not have any FIA-competing drivers on his books (which he still does, notably Webber). The FIA has made no move against that. For another, if Briatore is given a modification to 3 years, then Symonds would have to be reduced to at least that figure or possibly less because otherwise the original decision goes out of kilter, nullifying the rationale behind the decision and thus opening the possibility of open re-appeal to remove the ban completely. This the FIA does not want.

If any formal leniency is to be willingly shown by the FIA, it will be in 2014. Not only would this bring Briatore into line with Symonds, but (I've just thought of this) it will be the end of Todt's reign. It could be used as a campaign re-election tool or else used as an "act of sabotage" to make the next President's reign more difficult, depending on what happens between now and then.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
Blabbio is of an ilk with Bernie. Style over substance. Pretty backgrounds with terrible racing. Pricey, aloof snobbishness. Be gone to both of them!

Bring in Sir Jackie or Tony George!  :yahoo:

Stewart doesn't want it ans I'm afraid George may cause a break away series just like the Champ and IRL mess
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
I seem to recall that many of us were hoping that FOTA would do just that a year or so ago. With no race in the U.S. and Bernie wanting to pull even more races out of Europe, F1 doesn't seem to want it's long time fans anymore. Maybe it's time for a new series.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »
Blabbio is of an ilk with Bernie. Style over substance. Pretty backgrounds with terrible racing. Pricey, aloof snobbishness. Be gone to both of them!

Bring in Sir Jackie or Tony George!  :yahoo:

Stewart doesn't want it ans I'm afraid George may cause a break away series just like the Champ and IRL mess

George has already tried the break away trick.  He knows it doesn't work... however, he 'won' the IRL/Champ mess, so I suspect that he may be the most qualified person for uniting FIA, FOM and FOTA.

I don't like what he was part of before (and don't plan on rehashing it here), but to hold that against him would be to assume he doesn't learn from the past.  He's the guy who brought F1 to the USA.  He's the one that kept F1 in the USA despite the debacle in 2005.  He's the guy who stood up to Bernie because he felt the product was more important than soaking fans for Bernie's pocket change.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle