collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 564
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Drivers to discuss Hamilton weaving in China.  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Drivers to discuss Hamilton weaving in China.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
What do you mean theres no tow in F1. I've seen quite a few drivers receiving a tow,  out of the gravel and mainly by a tractor, but it still counts as a tow!

:DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »
I've not seen blocking like that since I was 14 trying to get to 2nd base.  :stop:

You need to watch some formula Ford then!! ;)

Or maybe a few clips from one of the best ever weavers of all time.....who is now back in F1. :yahoo:

I considered the "Schumi Chop" while posting this but my cloudy memory cannot recall him doing it to the extent that Lewis did a couple weeks ago! And Schumi's perceived transgressions were off the starting grid, not down the main straight!
I love that "he was just breaking the tow" quote...jeeez,,,,,,, everyone is taking lessons from politicians these days.
Here's my double take of the day in that case..."The sky is NOT blue, it appears to be blue but you would be WRONG. It is mearly what our limited spectrum-challenged eyes can see"......
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
But the Schumi 'chop' was just off the start line to bugger any possibility of anyone getting a go at him as the lights went out.  He was penalized more than once for a double-defend.  Lewis tried to better him and do it twice down the straight, yet only a warning flag.  Lucky guy...or Ron's buying Jean's girlfriend some nice furs.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »

In all the fomula below F1 this weaving on a straight well away from the braking zones would not even rate a mention so why is it suddenly dangerous in F1.

It can't be because of speed, F2, F3, Gp2, FR3.5 or even Formula Renault 2.0 cars are all capable of injuring or killing drivers and it can't be because the drivers aren't able to cope, F1 is the pinnacle, etc, etc.

IMO the race stewards should let the drivers get on with it a bit more, F1 drivers get far too much protection with blue flags and the like, let's see them work for their money a bit more.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

markb

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »

In all the fomula below F1 this weaving on a straight well away from the braking zones would not even rate a mention so why is it suddenly dangerous in F1.

It can't be because of speed, F2, F3, Gp2, FR3.5 or even Formula Renault 2.0 cars are all capable of injuring or killing drivers and it can't be because the drivers aren't able to cope, F1 is the pinnacle, etc, etc.

IMO the race stewards should let the drivers get on with it a bit more, F1 drivers get far too much protection with blue flags and the like, let's see them work for their money a bit more.

I would hazzard a guess here John, and say that some people will sieze every opportunity to have "a pop" at LH/Mclaren....and make mountains out of mowhills, but hey what the heck, just let them and will see what happens. :good:

On a separate note, congrats to the Red Bulls, and of course Rosberg, for out-qualifying his team-mate ....again.  Rain is forecast, so I hope it will be a good race.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:12:48 AM by markb »

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »
My theory is quite simple: F1 drivers are supposed to set an example in terms of their driving behaviour to more junior series. Deliberately preventing an overtaking move (which Lewis unwittingly admitted) is against Article 16 of the regulations. Most drivers don't need to be told that that move is against the regulations. That's why they've started.

Lewis is a very creative driver, which is one reason why he finds these problems more often than others. He crosses territory that other drivers and, in some cases, the FIA never previously encountered or even considered because for the most part, there is a convention of racing which has a certain loose adherence. Lewis tends to ignore it - not for cynical reasons but because he genuinely believes there's a better way of racing than the one stipulated by the current conventions, and sometimes he forgets where convention ends and regulation begins.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »

Very good points you make Ali and I would agree Lewis suffers for his unconventional approach and methods, it makes for interesting viewing but it pushes the envelope at times which usually puts the stewards, and some other drivers, on the back foot. 

I'm not sure though what Lewis did could really be looked at as blocking under article 16 since Petrov followed his every move and made no attempt to pass before, during, or immediately after the weaving, I don't believe the rules can be interpreted to apply for a possible future overtake as it would mean a big disadvantage to any car in front. I know one can't be certain, but IMO if Petrov hadn't followed his moves then Lewis would not have continued to move (weave), blocking an overtake at that point on the track was therefore not intended.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the F-duct actually does create a tow on the straights.  It stands to reason that if it stalls the rear wing, then the disturbed air would be reduced behind the car. 

Now how is the FIA going to deal with that one?  If it creates a tow, but you aren't allowed to try to get the chasing car off your draft, won't you just be a sitting duck for a pass?  Of course if Lewis had that problem, why didn't he just close the duct for a moment and watch Petrov fall back, then engage it again?  :DntKnw:

markb

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
"Hindsight" buddy is a wonderful thing.  I suppose experience teaches, so we'll see how everything evolves I suppose!!

Offline Chris Borg

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle