collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 582
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sato's Indy Lotus, Even Better  (Read 3856 times)

Offline cosworth151

Sato's Indy Lotus, Even Better
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »
I've posted pictures of Takuma Sato's Lotus-Cosworth sponsored Indy car here before. I think it's one of the best looking open wheel paint schemes in years. However, it was missing one thing, something they've now corrected.

They put the white "meatballs" around the numbers!  :yahoo:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Sato's Indy Lotus, Even Better
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
What does Lotus have planned?  Presumably they're not just using an Indycar to advertise an F1 team.  Are they making street cars?  Are they planning to move into Indycar as well?  Cosworth was in Indy for a long time, I'm sure they'd be happy to be back.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Lotus has built road cars since the 1950's.

http://www.lotuscars.com/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
Lotus has built road cars since the 1950's.

http://www.lotuscars.com/

I wasn't really aware that Lotus was still a fully functioning car company.

Makes sense to advertise then!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
Lot's in Europe...you just can't get them in Canada (are new ones available in the US Cos?).  I think one reason is that they wouldn't pass the crash test.  Rear-end someone driving anything bigger than a Taurus and you'll be underneath their rear end.  SUV's wouldn't even see them.  Barely comes up to my hip, and I'm just 5'10''.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
They re-entered the U.S. market about 5 or 6 years ago.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I believe the Lotus F1 team is an entirely separate company. Lotus Cars originally tried to prevent them from using the name. I think. Anyone else? Alia?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
I believe the Lotus F1 team is an entirely separate company. Lotus Cars originally tried to prevent them from using the name. I think. Anyone else? Alia?

Lonny

I shall try to clear up the issues you raise Lonny but the whole rights to the names and logo gets tricky to say the least.

I think the first entry submitted to the FIA in 2009 was from Litespeed 'Team Lotus' who were trying to reuse the original race team name with the approval of the Chapman family. This F1 application had no connection to, nor approval from, the Lotus road car manufacturer whose present owners are the Malaysian Proton car company and this is why objections were raised. However this first entry, 'Litespeed Team lotus', failed to get a place on the grid.

The second entry 'Lotus Racing' submitted to the FIA after BMW failed to sign the concorde was made by the present Malaysian outfit and is part funded by Proton the owners of Group Lotus (Lotus Cars & Lotus Engineering). This second 'Lotus Racing' F1 team entry is not able to use either the name 'Team Lotus' or the famous logo (a green triangle on a yellow circle) as used on their road cars. Hence the current 'Lotus Racing' team chose the new logo, a triangle of Dark green with a yellow stipe in the middle and the word Lotus in black underneath.

The original logo and original 'Team Lotus' name, as far as F1 racing is concerned, are still retained by the backers of the litespeed project or the Chapman family.

If anyone else has anymore info please feel free to jump in, as I have said it's a tricky subject and I may not have all of it right.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
I was thinking along those lines, but didn't have the spot on info. Thanks  :D

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
That was what I thought, too. Then I noticed that Sato's car is carrying the classic Lotus logo, the one with's Chapman's initials.

― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
That was what I thought, too. Then I noticed that Sato's car is carrying the classic Lotus logo, the one with's Chapman's initials.

That is advertising Lotus cars which is allowed under the rights the Proton company holds, the IRL car is clearly not a Lotus chassis and so it is just a sponsorship deal that any other company may purchase. I'm pretty sure it is only for F1 that the logo and name 'Team Lotus' is owned by someone else.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle