collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 230
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12995 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: VW looking for "world engine" route into F1  (Read 669 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
VW looking for "world engine" route into F1
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »

Methinks this is part of a PR offensive starting from VW to try to tilt the FIA in favour of a World engine concept for F1. VW group with it's Audi and SEAT brands will already be looking at the World engine programme because of their participation in other motorsport, along with other big manufacturers like BMW and Ford. They see this as an easy way into F1 without a possible Toyota style failure to embarrass them.
I personally think it will be the end of the F1 we all know and love if the World engine ever gets adopted by the series.
>:D

Volkswagen is interested in Formula One but has no intention of launching a Mercedes-like works team. That is the latest message given by Hans-Joachim Stuck, a former Grand Prix driver and now the motor sport representative of the German carmaker giant.

"It is clear that we are looking at Formula One," he is quoted as saying by Sport Bild magazine.

"We are waiting for the FIA's decision in respect of the use of a world engine for Formula One. If there is (a world engine) we will discuss whether to build it for Formula One," added Stuck.

He clarified that VW would only be an engine supplier and not have "our own team like Mercedes".

The 'world engine' concept - with possible deployment across various motor racing categories - has been touted by the FIA.

But regarding a new engine formula for 2013, the current discussions in F1 are about the likelihood of a 1.5 litre turbocharged 4-cylinder and a powerful KERS.

It is believed that the world engine concept is not popular among F1's existing manufacturers.

While pushing for smaller engines for 2013, the FIA is also keen to improve the fuel efficiency of the current 2.4 litre V8 designs.

Ferrari's former engine boss Gilles Simon, now working with the FIA, said in the latest edition of In Motion magazine that F1 should "push forward with fuel efficiency".

"If, as an engine engineer, I am given a maximum fuel load, I will try to give the driver the maximum horsepower possible, building the most efficient engine I can," he said.

Simon added that the FIA wants "to try to adapt the rules we have in the run-up to the new engine formula".

Motorsport.com, Monday May 3rd

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: VW looking for "world engine" route into F1
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
F1, as we know it, certainly can't use the same engine as other series.

At the same time, I think F1 only considering gasoline powered internal combustion engines is a little short sighted.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how those engines sound, and most people believe that is the single identifying factor of the sport (that, and the prancing horse I suppose).  I just think that there's an opportunity to let something else be the future of F1.

For example, what if the Tesla road car company entered an electric F1 car?

Hydrogen power?

Fuel cells?

Make all the cars a hybrid with a 'world engine', and then 'something else' for an extra kick?  Imagine a VW powered car, with a Toyota electrical assist.  The costs per manufacturer are down, and there is room for more.

F1 can pave the way for the future of automobiles entirely.  Why not at least discuss it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle