collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 129
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13026 Posts
John S John S
11301 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams calls for 2011 tyres test  (Read 1341 times)

Offline stealthhaggis

Williams calls for 2011 tyres test
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
Are Williams looking to give up on this season already????! Seriously though, would be a good idea so all the teams can decide who they like best and then come to the conclusion that 6 teams like Pirelli and 6 like Michelin!

Williams calls for 2011 tyres test

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, May 20th 2010, 14:09 GMT
Formula 1 teams should be granted a special post-grand prix test session after one of this season's races to help them get an understanding of next year's tyres.

That is the view of Williams technical director Sam Michael, who thinks that the best solution for helping teams better understand tyre characteristics for their 2011 car designs is to give them a day's running with the new tyre supplier.

F1 teams are hoping to finalise whether they want Pirelli or Michelin for next year before the Turkish Grand Prix - although teams already have to get on with their 2011 designs without knowing who will supply tyres.

Michael reckons that even with full data from F1's new tyre supplier it will be hard for teams to fully understand how the rubber will behave.

"We have to just crack on with the design, assuming the tyres are similar to what we have got now because we don't have any other data," Michael told AUTOSPORT.

"We haven't decided on the tyre supplier, and even when you get the data it will be hard to ascertain the differences between Bridgestone and whoever it is without running the car on track. Hopefully we will have some sort of test.

"I think the ideal thing would be to stay back after one or two grands prix, maybe stay back on the Monday after Monza or Abu Dhabi, and do two one-hour practice sessions with a couple of sets of the new tyres if they can be produced that quickly."

Abu Dhabi is already in talks with F1 teams about holding a test immediately after the season finale, possibly for the young driver running that is currently allowed in the regulations.

Williamsfan

Re: Williams calls for 2011 tyres test
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »
It would be a good idea to get some testing done on the new tyres ahead of 2011, I agree with a lot of Sam says actually here.  Although I quite like the idea of the teams turning up at the first test in 2011 with no idea what their cars will really be like, we might see a couple of interesting positional changes that way. 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
By 'positional changes' do you mean spins and crashes????!

Williamsfan

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »
Well, there is that, but I was thinking more along the lines of a small team might find itself a few places forward, and Williams might find itself at the front as it was the only one to guess correctly :D 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Always the dreamer eh?!

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
It is usually better than the reality  :D

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
You mean always! Always better than reality!!  :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
Testing will be especially important if the new supplier insists on running a larger diameter wheel to make the tires more relevant to their street tires. A lower profile tire will mean rather drastic suspension changes.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »
I thought I had read that any tyre company who wanted to bring larger wheels into the equation would not do so next year but would bring it in later.  I might well be wrong, but you do make a very important point there.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »
Yeah, especially as it would really affect the aerodynamics, I thought it was Michelin that were talking about increasing the size to 17"? Would mean one of my motors would have the same size tyres as F! for the first time!  :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
There's more to be considered than aero. Larger wheel would allow larger brakes. Shorter sidewalls would have less flex.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
The less flex part is really important. Because of the high down force, F1 cars are really stiff. They use the flex in the tall sidewalls to fine tune the suspension via air pressure. A lower profile tire would make that much more difficult. A complete rethink of the suspension would be necessary.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
The less flex part is really important. Because of the high down force, F1 cars are really stiff. They use the flex in the tall sidewalls to fine tune the suspension via air pressure. A lower profile tire would make that much more difficult. A complete rethink of the suspension would be necessary.

Lonny

I'm thinking less flex could mean we see drivers with padded sections on their race suits similar to the Moto GP hump backs. ;) 

They could all look like they have just taken a dump in their pants.  :o   - :stop: :nono:         

:DD :DD :DD  :DD :DD :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle