collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Raikkonen quick to fire back at McLaren over his fitness to replace Schumacher  (Read 1215 times)

davewilson

There is a saying in Formula One that underneath every Finn there is a shark. In the spectacular setting of one of Italy’s most well-appointed ski resorts, Kimi Raikkonen did his bit to endorse the sentiment behind that adage yesterday as he flashed his teeth and ripped into his former employers at McLaren Mercedes.
After Raikkonen’s departure from the Woking-based team at the end of last season, there has been a whispering campaign against the “Flying Finn”, with some prominent voices in Formula One questioning whether he has the right attitude and the selfdiscipline to carry on at Ferrari where Michael Schumacher left off.
Athough Raikkonen is regarded as the fastest driver on the grid, he is known to enjoy a drink and he can be a stubborn character who is resistant to advice from others. He is also not a noted communicator. This season is going to be tough on him, with high expectations from the Italian public and media and a team-mate in Felipe Massa, who is determined to be Ferrari’s No 1.
Every year Ferrari decamp to this charming resort in the Dolomites (where snow is a precious commodity but where bears have been spotted on the piste in recent days), to introduce their drivers for the season ahead. With Schumacher trying to come to terms with retirement, this was Raikkonen’s turn to take centre stage
Last season, the “Kimster” displayed poor body language and unconcealed boredom at McLaren press conferences, but he looked more upbeat as he made his first appearance in the red and white of the Scuderia, who are thought to be paying him in the region of $60 million (about £31 million) over the next three years. He even tried an Italian “hello” to his future friends and foes in the local media, but there was nothing over the top from a man succinctly described by Martin Brundle as “low voltage”.

For the most part, in his appearance in the resort’s convention centre, Raikkonen kept to his usual clipped style. He spoke of his hopes that things will go well for him — although he was not rash enough to promise a title in his first season with the team — he talked about a friendly relationship with Massa and how he looked forward to working with Schumacher, who has an advisory role in the background.

Shortly before the session ended, he was asked about his attitude, his approach to training and suggestions that “some at McLaren” believe that Raikkonen’s way might not fit in with how Ferrari do things and that he may have to adjust his style. Raikkonen’s ears pricked up and the PR-speak was put to one side as the Finn seized the opportunity to get a few things off his chest.

“I don’t know what McLaren has said or what they think,” he said. “I don’t know how they can say things about things they don’t know about, about how things are at Ferrari. In general, I’m not going to change my way. It’s been working well enough — it’s the way I want to do things.”

Then he tackled the insinuation behind the question head on. “I don’t think even if I had changed my style to the way they wanted to do things it would have changed the results because the problems weren’t really about how I did my training or what I do in my private life,” Raikkonen said. “It was much more the car not lasting the race or it wasn’t quick enough. So, in that way, I don’t really mind what they say.”

There is no love lost between Raikkonen and his erstwhile employers, for whom he drove for five years and scored nine wins. One suspects that he will get more pleasure out of beating McLaren this season than any other team. Raikkonen finished his exposition by saying that he sees no problems in his relationship with Ferrari — he implied the team are much easier to work with than McLaren — and he is not daunted by the prospect of taking over from Schumacher. “I’m not Michael Schumacher and the team don’t expect me to be,” he said.

The Stig

The Season has not started and these drivers are under so much pressure ? before they even start.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:12:01 AM by The Stig »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle