collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is RBR's technical advantage falling apart?  (Read 807 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Is RBR's technical advantage falling apart?
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

Perhaps it's not only driver issues that Red Bull are having to cope with. Could these forced changes have allowed McLaren to close the gap to the RB 6? Also with reports that Red Bull are not ready to run their F-Duct in Canada are they on the slide?

Yet another element of Red Bull's pace-setting RB6 had to be modified ahead of last weekend's Turkish grand prix.

After Monaco, we reported that McLaren had identified a part of the 2010 Red Bull's rear diffuser that did not conform with the regulations and had to be altered in the Principality.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport now reveals that an element of the rear suspension was changed at Istanbul Park last weekend.

The report said the elements in question, hidden behind six burly Red Bull mechanics on recent grand prix grids, were aerodynamically shaped and at a 20 degree horizontal angle rather than the allowed five.

In response, Adrian Newey's design team reportedly shrouded the parts with round tubing in order to nullify the downforce-producing effect.

Updatf1.com, today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

Re: Is RBR's technical advantage falling apart?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
I think Newey is still the most talented designer in F1 and unless they stop looking at 2010 developments in favour of developing the 2011 car I expect them to continue to be at the front.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »
As good as RBR is, McLaren and Ferrari continue to have the massive budgets to improve over the season.  They did it last year, and they're doing it this year.

As much as I'd like to see the teams on even footing, this is a good way to stop a run away leader from dominating a season... until that runaway leader is one of the deep pocketed teams.  McLaren and Ferrari won't keep getting it wrong on day 1 forever.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
I'd say Red Bull is a fairly deep pocketed team in their own right.  Newey didn't come cheap for one thing.  Not sure what Vettel and Webber are on at the moment, but they certainly aren't at the bottom of the bucket. 

I also think Dieter has likely gotten used to having his team on top, and will likely do whatever it takes to keep it there.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
I'd say Red Bull is a fairly deep pocketed team in their own right.  Newey didn't come cheap for one thing.  Not sure what Vettel and Webber are on at the moment, but they certainly aren't at the bottom of the bucket. 

I also think Dieter has likely gotten used to having his team on top, and will likely do whatever it takes to keep it there.

Well, putting money into a few big names works in some sports, but in F1 a deep team can work wonders.  Developing multiple parts simultaneously, and picking the best is something big teams can do, and Adrian Newey, as good as he is, can't do on his own.

Ferrari and McLaren have a longer history of doing these things, so besides money, there's a culture of incremental improvement that may or may not be present at RBR.

Or maybe they're just lucky with their developments, and the luck will shift as the season progresses.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle