collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 560
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: RED BULL Suffers Huge Aussie Fan Backlash  (Read 6378 times)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
RED BULL Suffers Huge Aussie Fan Backlash
« on: June 03, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
[from ninemsn.com.au and goto:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1063597

for some interesting reader comments]

Red Bull Racing suffers fan backlash
By Chris Wang, WWOS14:00 AEST Thu Jun 3 2010

Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel is at the centre of fan backlash after colliding with Mark Webber

Fans of Red Bull Racing have reacted angrily after the Formula One team appeared to favour German driver Sebastian Vettel over his Australian team-mate Mark Webber at the Turkish Formula One Grand Prix.

Team officials initially blamed Webber for a crash between the two team-mates on lap 40 at the Istanbul Park circuit, which cost Red Bull its third one-two finish of the season.

Webber, who started from pole position, had been leading the race from Vettel when the German attempted to overtake coming into turn 10. With little room to move, the two Red Bull cars collided, sending Vettel out of the race and demoting Webber to third.

After the race Helmut Marko, Red Bull motorsport adviser, supported Vettel over Webber.

"He (Vettel) had to attack otherwise he would have got overtaken by Hamilton," Marko said.

"He was already ahead, at least two metres ahead, and there was a corner to the left side coming so he had to go for the line."

However days later, the team backtracked saying both drivers had to take responsibility for the incident.

Christian Horner, team principal, refused to apportion blame to either man when quizzed on who was at fault for the crash, and also said that there was no favouritism toward either driver at Red Bull.

"Ultimately we win as a team and we lose as a team and on Sunday we lost as a team, as a result of our two drivers having an incident. Having looked at all the information it's clear that it was a racing accident that shouldn't have happened between two teammates," Horner said on the Red Bull Racing official website.

"Neither driver was given any instruction to change position. There are no team orders within Red Bull Racing, other than that the drivers should race each other with respect.

"Our priority as a team is to finish first and second, irrelevant of the order."

However fans of Red Bull Racing let fly at Horner and his team on the website, leaving hundreds of comments defending Webber and admonishing team officials.

'Dragon' wrote: "And to think, I was ready to buy a whole heap of RBR merch. Belts, watches, bags, clothes...I was a HUGE fan and felt so passionately about the team. And being Aussie, Webber had a huge role to play in that, but that’s not to say I haven’t enjoyed the immense talents of Vettel either over the journey. Obviously I’m not alone when I say I’m massively disappointed and disillusioned after Turkey, and even more so that despite all the negative PR in the face of what was a ridiculous stance to take, still no apology has been issued in any manner, to the fans or to Mark."

'Brian Appleton' said: "What's really interesting is that Horner and Marko have shown utter contempt for the ability of the public and fans to see through their lies. Did they really think we'd buy their stories about lap times? I can't wait for the drivers audio to be leaked, it will be another nail in Red Bull’s coffin."

While 'dismayed and saddened' left the message: "Not only am I boycotting your products forever but will be letting my feelings known to all your sponsors and would encourage all here to do the same."

Fans say that the only way the real story will emerge is if Red Bull Racing release all the telemetry and audio communications between the drivers and the race strategists.

Webber, who continues to lead the drivers' championship despite the mishap in Turkey, has previously alluded to anomalous team tactics at Red Bull where pit stops and fuel strategies have benefitted Vettel more than the Australian.

"I was not responsible in any way, but these things happen when the adrenaline's flowing," Webber said diplomatically after the Istanbul race.

But when further pressed by the media as to why Vettel appeared to have more speed at the back end of the race, Webber mysteriously replied: "You guys need to dig more somewhere else."

Perhaps the last word should go to Dietrich Mateschitz, co-founder of the Red Bull energy drink, who summed up the situation by saying:

"sh*t happens… we shouldn't talk about the past, but concentrate on the future. Fact is that we not only have the fastest car but also two of the best and fastest drivers."

Red Bull may have what it takes technically and mechanically to win its first constructors' championship and deliver a world title to either Webber or Vettel this season, but any in-fighting and innuendo about driver favouritism could derail those chances.

Who was at fault for the Red Bull crash – Vettel or Webber?
Do you think Red Bull Racing is favouring one driver over the other?
How will this incident affect the rest of Red Bull Racing's season?

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: RED BULL Suffers Huge Aussie Fan Backlash
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:13:41 PM »

Good post Sennaman, I think the comments of some of the fans about boycotting the products is a very disturbing development for the team owner and may come back to haunt Red Bull.

Unlike other teams, whose high profile sponsors just pay to be on the cars so don't get the blame about team matters, Red Bull brand is the team and are right in the firing line from disgruntled consumers. This could turn into a marketing nightmare for the drinks company unless they get on top of it, and serves them right.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:04:57 AM »

Good post Sennaman, I think the comments of some of the fans about boycotting the products is a very disturbing development for the team owner and may come back to haunt Red Bull.

Unlike other teams, whose high profile sponsors just pay to be on the cars so don't get the blame about team matters, Red Bull brand is the team and are right in the firing line from disgruntled consumers. This could turn into a marketing nightmare for the drinks company unless they get on top of it, and serves them right.

Excellent point here. For the average Joe it's REALLY easy to boycott a $3.00 can of sugar water over, say, a Ferrari automobile, were I ticked off at Ferrari! LOL  ;)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »

I wish it were so, but does anybody actually buy a can of redbull other than to mix it with vodka/whisky/whatever after about 3am in a nightclub? I mean, I don't think I have ever bought a can of redbull when sober. And when drunk the fact the that RBR screwed over Webber won't be the first thing in my mind...

It's a bit like those joke email that went round after Schumi gifted Barichello a win a few years ago urging: "fans to not buy a ferrari".

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
I can't stand the stuff - drunk or sober.
 :sick:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »

Excellent point here. For the average Joe it's REALLY easy to boycott a $3.00 can of sugar water over, say, a Ferrari automobile, were I ticked off at Ferrari! LOL  ;)

You could certainly boycott Shell products, or Marlboro (oh, sorry, I mean boycott barcodes...)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »
I believe Red Bull was trying to enginneer a Vettel win, and they have said nothing to convince me otherwise. Generally for a team running 1-2 the policy is #2 doesn't attempt a pass unless the leader slows drastically. They can't come out and say on the radio "move over Aussie hack", so they gave them unequal power. After all, Mark had enough fuel to pit and accelerate back up to speed without running out. Nope, don't buy it!! Even if nothing was going on, they should have known how it would look.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
I believe Red Bull was trying to enginneer a Vettel win, and they have said nothing to convince me otherwise. Generally for a team running 1-2 the policy is #2 doesn't attempt a pass unless the leader slows drastically. They can't come out and say on the radio "move over Aussie hack", so they gave them unequal power. After all, Mark had enough fuel to pit and accelerate back up to speed without running out. Nope, don't buy it!! Even if nothing was going on, they should have known how it would look.
Lonny

i agree with ya 100% Lonny - and while we are at it I believe a disgruntled, dismayed and despicable VETTEL deliberately took WEBBER out.

just my opinion...
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
I wish it were so, but does anybody actually buy a can of redbull other than to mix it with vodka/whisky/whatever after about 3am in a nightclub? {rmassart  - 5 posts ago}

There's a place in Sheffield that uses it as a base for a "revision special" milkshake (I hasten to add that I've never tried it, not considering myself to need such stimulants to study). At this time of year, students are looking for stimulants to keep them awake during late-night revision cramming sessions, which makes this about the worst possible timing Red Bull could have picked to do something to offend its fanbase.

Just to make it even worse, there's a drink called Monster that's starting to be used as mixer by the edgier element of studentdom. So Red Bull's markets are under attack on all sides...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline romephius

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
I drink red bull for 2 reasons

1: I like the taste
2: I'm indirectly paying Mark Webbers salary.

and that is it.

Rom

Williamsfan

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
I drink it purely for reason one  :D. I find as a stimulant it is not effective and will drink lucozade before tennis ahead of Red Bull.

To be honest I would not imagine there are enough 'hardcore' Webber fans to really hit Red Bull hard after this incident.

I should be loyal to Williams though and encourage everyone to drink Hell energy drinks  :good:

Jugirl

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
To be honest Red Bull made me feel sick. Though it could of been all the alcohol i consumed before drinking it  :confused:
And yes Neil it was much more than 3.5 pints  ;) hehe
Jugirl

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »
I can't stand the stuff, far too sweet.  :sick:

And yes Jugirl, good old 3.5 pinter Neil eh.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »
Of course now Red Bull has extended Mark Webber's contract, those cans will be indirectly paying his salary a while longer.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:44 PM »
OK, so I'm a lightweight these days, some things just can't be helped :'(

Neil.P :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle