collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 563
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Tornado Dream Day out  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Wizzo

Tornado Dream Day out
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
On Wednesday I was lucky enough to be invited by one of my customers to spend the day on the Tornado steam train travelling from Victoria in London down to Swanage in Dorset.

The Tornado is probably most famous for appearing on the Top Gear episode where Clarkson raced on it to Scotland against a vintage car and motorbike. The Train itself is superb and the word big does not do it enough justice, we was fortunate enough to travel by Premium First Class with all food included (5 course champagne breakfast and dinner) and I must confess to feeling a little tipsy on several occasions.

At full speed the sight, sounds and smells of the Tornado have to be experienced to be believed and the crowds lined the track for the entire journey which took approximately 8 hours. Sometimes I was envious of them as we hurtled through the main line stations at 100mph because they surely had the best view of this magnificent beast, but rest assured I was happily stuffing my face the entire time.

This would have been a dream day out for my beloved Dad as his world revolved around the whole steam era. With Fathers Day on Sunday, the whole day seemed like a fitting tribute to his memory.

http://www.a1steam.com/

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:23:03 PM by Wizzo »

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: Tornado Dream Day out
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
Way cool. Wizzo! Looks like a great time!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
They are something else Wiz, we often saw them on track and they are awesome. Once in Stewarts Lane yard in London, I had the priviledge of getting up on the footplate of a Merchant Navy class loco, the amount of pipes, valves and dials are something to behold, masterpieces of engineering, and I'm not a trainspotter before any of you comment, haha.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

David

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »
Nice one Wiz you luck luck man. I would love a run on the Tornado, but the Clarkson view would be my preference, up front feeding the beast.

Two words that don't usually appear together? Champagne & breakfast. No wonder you might have felt a little tipsy.  :DD

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »
Wow - Sounds like it was a blast...did you have to stop for water like Clarkson?

Great way to celebrate your Dad!
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
Well your day out certainly trumps my outing on Thursday between New Romney and Dungeness on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway Wizzo.

I was staying in St Mary's Bay in the Romney marshes on a short break for a few days earlier this week and as the light gauge railway runs through it I just had to give it a go.

I think the only similarity of our trips was the steam power, the big difference was the comfort and luxury - you got tipsy on champagne and I got a sore arris. :swoon: 

Now I know what it feels like from an Hispania driver's point of view in a GP. :D

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:56:49 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
did you have to stop for water like Clarkson?
Yes Scott we had to stop twice to take on water but fortunately I wasn't the coal man.

Well your day out certainly trumps my outing on Thursday between New Romney and Dungeness on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway Wizzo
Looks like another fine day out there John  :good:

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »
I've told several of my train chasing buddies about your trip, Wizzo. We are all suitably envious.  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle