collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 563
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull use special engine setting to max one lap in Q3  (Read 2318 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Red Bull use special engine setting to max one lap in Q3
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

On his website James Allen spills the beans, see below, on why Red Bull is able to pull such stunning final quali laps. It also explains why they can't do another do or die lap if they compromise their optimum lap, even if they have time for another lap, as we saw with Webber in Valencia. I have never heard about this Red Bull/Renault quali trick before, has anyone else? 

I also wonder if the Red Bulls pull the same stunt for part of the opening lap of a GP, it would explain why they want to slow the formation lap down as we have seen them do in the last few races? :DntKnw:

Red Bull pioneered the blown diffuser technology and has really maximised it. They blow the exhaust gas through a slot which energises the airflow through the diffuser. It is this slot which the Red Bull mechanics are so keen for people not to see when the car is on the grid. But this is a bit of a pointless exercise, as teams have photographers taking digital images of the cars as they drive down the pit lane!

One of Red Bull’s secrets is a setting on the Renault engine for use on the final crucial lap in qualifying, whereby the ignition is retarded on the over-run, which maintains exhaust gas pressure even when the driver lifts off the throttle. This maintains the performance of the blown diffuser and keeps the downforce up when it’s most needed. It thus avoids the main problem of an exhaust blown diffuser whereby when a driver lifts off the throttle for a corner, the downforce goes missing when you most need it and the rear stability changes.

It’s not something you can do for more than a lap or two as the temperatures go sky high, which damages the engine, but it gives that vital fraction of a second which keeps Red Bull ahead of the rest in qualifying.

jamesallenonf1.com, July 12.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Red Bull use special engine setting to max one lap in Q3
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Leave it to Newey, eh?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
Sounds like it could be used as a 'push to pass' button.  You wouldn't even need any artificial regulations... if you abuse it, your engine goes boom.

(Which might also explain why RBR are so hard on their Renault engines)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »
Is this a Red Bull thing or a Renault thing? Now that Renault is using a blown diffuser will they use this technology? Interesting.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline The Cat

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
There is a bit in there I dont understand.

If this engine setting stops the car from being unstable when you lift due to air constantly blowing through the diffuser, whats stopping the car from being unstable for the other quali laps and the whole GP??
I was Mclaren when i was born, I'll be Mclaren when I die!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
There is a bit in there I dont understand.

If this engine setting stops the car from being unstable when you lift due to air constantly blowing through the diffuser, whats stopping the car from being unstable for the other quali laps and the whole GP??

'Unstable' is a relative term here.  We're talking about an advantage measured in tenths of seconds.

Air is always going through the diffuser, but the engine will produce 'gusts' as it speeds up and slows down, which will naturally alter the driving dynamics (surely you've been in a car on a windy day).  This system eliminates the gusts, and it makes the diffuser more predictable.

Offline The Cat

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
'Unstable' is a relative term here.  We're talking about an advantage measured in tenths of seconds.

Air is always going through the diffuser, but the engine will produce 'gusts' as it speeds up and slows down, which will naturally alter the driving dynamics (surely you've been in a car on a windy day).  This system eliminates the gusts, and it makes the diffuser more predictable.

I can see what your saying, I just dont really get how you can derive a benefit from an 1 lap increase in stability, which for the most part of testing you cant really test for fear of killing the engine, so you never truly know how hard you can push the car for that lap.

Dont get me wrong it obviously works, because there had to be something more than just a blown diffuser as a reason for the massive quali advantage Red Bull enjoy, it will be interesting to see how Renaults quali performances improve now they have the blown diffuser too.

I was Mclaren when i was born, I'll be Mclaren when I die!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

I can see what your saying, I just dont really get how you can derive a benefit from an 1 lap increase in stability, which for the most part of testing you cant really test for fear of killing the engine, so you never truly know how hard you can push the car for that lap.

Dont get me wrong it obviously works, because there had to be something more than just a blown diffuser as a reason for the massive quali advantage Red Bull enjoy, it will be interesting to see how Renaults quali performances improve now they have the blown diffuser too.

It depends on which lap it is, right?  One lap, with zero seconds left in Q3 is quite an important one, as is an in lap in a tight race, or the first lap from pole position to get some distance from the rest.

It IS a risky thing to test, because of the strain it puts on an engine.  Also, is a pole in June worth much when it means an extra engine/grid drop in October?

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
Sounds like it could be used as a 'push to pass' button.  You wouldn't even need any artificial regulations... if you abuse it, your engine goes boom.

(Which might also explain why RBR are so hard on their Renault engines)

...smart thinking, thanks Jeri

I was wondering why RBR's engine reliability has been more fragile than other teams and it could be the higher temperatures produced by retarding the ignition during the last lap of Q3 [and perhaps at times during the race]  is the reason
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle