collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

How do you feel about Sebastian Vettel??

Love Him
3 (15.8%)
Hate Him
3 (15.8%)
I used to really like him, but now I'm unsure.
9 (47.4%)
I could never decide about him and still cant.
2 (10.5%)
I've always hated him
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Vettel- Love Him or Hate Him  (Read 2094 times)

Offline The Cat

Vettel- Love Him or Hate Him
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
I just wanted to gauge peoples opinions on Vettel, I saw a comment in another thread that Vettel is quickly becoming the villain that we love to hate, it really made me think and I'm still not decided.

At the beginning of the season I still really liked the guy, but his popularity outside germany seems to have plummeted, although is that really his fault??

IMO Red Bull have to take 90% of the blame for the fact that less and less people like Vettel, yes he himself has done a few things to push that along, the insane sign after his and Webbers crash, the No 1 fist pumping, his increasingly defensive demeanour and the refusal to accept any blame for the Turkey incident just a few examples, but he still comes accross (to me anyway) as a really nice guy, with an off the wall sense of humour, but with a really cast iron will to win.

Red Bull on the other hand, have inadvertantly turned him into a panto villain, partly through the popularity of his team mate, but largely because they have handled things really badly over the last few races.

I wasnt a massive fan of Schumacher which was largely the whole No 1 scenario that he had, and I've been in denial that its happening again with Vettel, especially at the expense of everyones 2nd favourite driver Webber. Slowly but surely I've noticed myself really wanting him to lose, I was happy when he had to pit on the first lap at Silverstone, whereas 6 months ago, I'd have wanted him to do well.

I'm Rambling now, anyways whats everyone elses thoughts, cast a vote!

I was Mclaren when i was born, I'll be Mclaren when I die!

Offline Jericoke

Re: Vettel- Love Him or Hate Him
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
I don't get much information about the drivers off track, mostly what I read here.  In F1 I'm mostly concerned with on track performance... the spectacle of the sport. 

I do find the off track stuff to be an interesting soap opera to fill in the time between races, but what I see on track is what matters... and Vettel is an asset to the sport.

I love him.

Perhaps he might cross a line, and become a 'love to hate' guy, like I felt with Schumacher.  The sport needs 'love to hate' as much as they need 'love'.  (Heck, American NASCAR has built their current business model on positioning drivers as 'love to hate'.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
I like the kid. With any luck at all he'll end up with one or more WDC titles. He's still quite young, however, and has a few things left to learn. Like don't do the "Schumi Swerve" at the start of a race.

I don't like the way RBR is shafting Mark to push Vettel up the ladder. I put the blame for that on the Austrians, not Horner or Vettel.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline greener_09

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
Ive definatly gone from love to hate this season.When i used to look at Vettel i saw a young talented driver with a hell of a future but now i see a arrogance that i havnt seen since Schumacher was in his prime.Although hes a talented driver he hasnt won or proven anything yet.Hes gone down in a lot of peoples opinion so i can only recomend that he keeps out of the media spot light and concentrates on his driving.Redbull havnt helped the situation so should take some of the blame.

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »
I went for the 'used to like but now unsure' option.  He is without doubt a brilliant driver and an exciting prospect (imagine that, he can get better) but I think things are going on that are not putting him in a good light, even if some of them are not directly his fault.  I hope to be won over again though. 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
I'm starting to hate Red Bull rather than Vettel, Vettel is just a very talented kid who is being told he is their number one driver and believing it. Not his fault really after all, F1 drivers all have ego's, Red Bull are just stroking his very hard at the moment. Course he is going to believe it when they say everything he does is good and correct and Webber is wrong and bad! It is a shame though as I always thought he was a good sport and funny. He is being poisoned by yes men, happens all over the world and to many, many better people than Vettel. Hopefully he will see it for himself one day, hopefully as he is a great talent.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
Red Bull on the other hand, have inadvertantly turned him into a panto villain, partly through the popularity of his team mate, but largely because they have handled things really badly over the last few races

Vettel has a fair amount of arrogance. The finger twirling was rude, but he just crashed out of the lead of a GP, so he's allowed to be upset. Red Bull would have done him a favor by sitting him down, showing him the film and telling him not to move over on someone before you've cleared them. Otherwise I totally agree with The Cat, it's Red Bull who are feeding the frenzy much, much more than Vettel himself.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »

He's good, how great he will become is bigger question but I hope he makes it to WDC in the future. Not sure it will be this year though. He is a Lewis style balls out racer, so I say there is only one answer for me in your kind of oddly worded voting selection - for his performances on track - I Love him.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline andyb

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »
I honestly cant stand him. I think he and Red Bull are so unfair to Mark Webber and it almost has me hoping Mark wins the WDC. I cant believe i am saying that about an Aussie and a Red Bull  LOL  :DD :DD :DD

andyb
Prancing Horse rules!

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:27:14 AM »
Red Bull on the other hand, have inadvertantly turned him into a panto villain, partly through the popularity of his team mate, but largely because they have handled things really badly over the last few races

Vettel has a fair amount of arrogance. The finger twirling was rude, but he just crashed out of the lead of a GP, so he's allowed to be upset. Red Bull would have done him a favor by sitting him down, showing him the film and telling him not to move over on someone before you've cleared them. Otherwise I totally agree with The Cat, it's Red Bull who are feeding the frenzy much, much more than Vettel himself.

Well put.  I feel the same way.  No question Vettel has behaved badly, but the problem doesn't stem from him.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
I'm starting to hate Red Bull rather than Vettel, Vettel is just a very talented kid who is being told he is their number one driver and believing it. Not his fault really after all, F1 drivers all have ego's, Red Bull are just stroking his very hard at the moment. Course he is going to believe it when they say everything he does is good and correct and Webber is wrong and bad! It is a shame though as I always thought he was a good sport and funny. He is being poisoned by yes men, happens all over the world and to many, many better people than Vettel. Hopefully he will see it for himself one day, hopefully as he is a great talent.

Well put mate - hate is too strong a word but personally I dislike RBR and SV perhaps far more than I should.

Consistently shafting MW is inexcusable and an outrage for which I shall never forgive them.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Jugirl

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
Cant stand the man. If Fernando does not win the Championship this year then i am cheering Webber all the way.
Jugirl

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle