collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Soundtrack  (Read 3277 times)

davewilson

Soundtrack
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
If the Wizard was looking for a Soundtrack to promote F1...Who would it be by,and better still can you come up with one?

A recent British study reported that drivers who are singing along to favorite music are likely to concentrate more on their driving and are less likely to fall asleep.

TOP TEN
1) Golden Earring - Radar Love (1974)
With that chugging beat and lyrics that begin "I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel," "Radar Love" is the perfect song for cross-country night driving with no objective othEr than being with the one you love ASAP. Surprisingly, this universally well-known classic did not even make the pop top 10 upon its initial release.

2) Stealers Wheel - Stuck In the Middle With You (1973)
This parody of Bob Dylan's style by Scots Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan locks into an outstanding rhythm for gentle 4-wheel cruising. The song was produced by classic pop songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Who can help but join in with the instantly memorable chorus "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am...stuck in the middle with you?"

3) The Cars - Let's Go (1979)
"Let's Go," from the Cars second album Candy-O includes one of the most brilliant pauses in the history of pop music. Those few seconds between "She says" and "Let's go" make the entire song work. I must admit I still don't completely understand "She's so beautiful now, she doesn't wear her shoes." As one would expect from their name, the Cars made several great driving songs, but "Let's Go" is the best.

4) Derek and the Dominos - Layla (1972)
"Layla" by Eric Clapton's alter ego band, Derek and the Dominos, is one of the top rock classics of all time. The extended instrumental fade out is a warm antidote for a long, lonely drive. Duane Allman's slide guitar solo will expose and soothe any brand of emotional disturbance. Lock it in for any lengthy solo drive.

5) John Mellencamp - Authority Song (1984)
You might find yourself pounding the steering wheel along as the crack of the drums and guitar kick in. Irresistible melody, defiant singalong lyrics, and a big dose of attitude...in other words, great for driving!

6) Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (1982)
It's a bit of a left-field selection, but this classic is addictive from hearing it the first time. It's all about dialing in a Mexican station from dusty border territory. The next time you're headed along dusty highways from Texas to California, make sure this classic is on your playlist.

7) Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car (1988)
It may be crass and commercial, but it's also great car music. Billy Ocean launched a song that has the perfect beat for slow top-down convertible cruising along the city strip. You'll be singing along in no time.

8) Beatles - Drive My Car (1966)
"Drive My Car" kicks off the Beatles' Rubber Soul, one of the greatest pop albums of all time. It's easy to enjoy on a drive and sing along to the chorus, but when listened to closely, the lyrics are among the Beatles' most witty. "Beep beep, beep beep, yeah!"

9) Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coupe (1963)
Cars were a key element of a number of the Beach Boys' early classics. "Little Deuce Coupe" is possibly the best. If there was ever a love song written to a car, this is it. Just substitute what you've got for the words "little deuce coupe," and your auto will be purring in loving response.
10) Eagles - Take It Easy (1972)
For many, "I’m running down the road tryin’ to loosen my load, I’ve got seven women on my mind," were the first words they ever heard from the Eagles. The song continues on exploring the joys of cruising around being admired by members of the opposite gender. It was an 8-track classic, now burn it to the nearest CD

What Songs would you have added to the chart?

The Stig
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:54:47 AM by The Stig »

davewilson

Re: Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »
Bet you can't hear the radio or cds  in London Traffic?

The Stig

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:58:22 AM »
Here's a couple for your list:

Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild (1968) Off of their first album. Used later in the movie Easy Rider. The very definition of the crank-it-up-and-floor-it song.

Robert Mitchum - The Ballad of Thunder Road (1958) From the movie of the the same name. Mitchum wrote both the song and the film. He stared in the film. Oddly, he didn't use his kickin', rockabilly version of the song in it. He used a folksy version with Keely Smith singing over a solo acustic guitar. The Mitchum version is all back roads and bad attitude. Definitely not the Springsteen song.

Suicide Doors - Reverend Horton Heat (2002) Off the Lucky Seven album. Several songs from this disc could make the list. (Galaxie 500, Like a Rocket) In spite of the name,definitly NOT a religious band. Texas rock about a cross country blast in a '60s Lincoln 4 door ragtop from Texas to the Oakland (CA) Roadster Show. Makes you want to make the trip yourself.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:06:01 PM »
Cosworth,thank you. I was just about to scrub this topic, as it has had not any replies.
I bet there are some great songs to drive along and listen to.
The ones you have added,iwill have to find on the internet and give them a go.

Cheers,
The Stig

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
G'day Stig,

Although you didn't see a response from me, I have been conversing with the Wizard quite abit about this idea.  What I am currently doing is creating a cd with a sound and tempo that should activate the 'go fast' part of our brains. 

The cd tracklist will consist of songs not only directly related to cars or F1 but also songs that seem to fit well with the montage style of footage you get either at the beginning or end of a motorsport telecast.

The Wizard will be aware when he reads this, but the final track on the cd (or it might be a cd on it's own) will be a bit of a tribute to F1 drivers and all drivers past and present of any form of motorsport.  The only track I am willing to name at the moment is the track planned for this tribute.  I have chosen U2's "Where the streets have no name".  The selection of this track is partially because the track itself is damn good, but the title, to me, references any race track out there.

When the cd (or cd's) are complete they will be sent to the Wizard for assessment, and if he thinks they qualify then he can post the tracklist.  I can let you know when I have completed this project if you like and send you a copy for judgement as well.  No other copies will be made available by me.

davewilson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »
Fantastic romephius:
It sounds a great idea.I look forward very much to having a listen to it.
Well done:

The Stig

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
Here's my compilation:

1 : Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
2 : The Doors - Roadhose Blues
3 : The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
4 : Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic
5 : Deep Purple - Highway Star
6 : Roxy Music - Virginia Plain
7 : Aerosmith - Love in an Elevator
8 : AC-DC - Back in Black
9 : Otis Redding - Hard To Handle
10 : Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else
11 : Stevie Wonder - Superstition
12 : Neil Young - Old Man
13 : Cream - White Room
14 : David Bowie - Heroes
15 : Black Sabbath - War Pigs
16 : Elvis Presley - Suspicious minds
17 : David Hasslehoff - Jump In My Car :DD

Neil.P

davewilson

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
Some fantastic tracks in your'e list Neil
Thanks for the input:
The Stig

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »
What about  Bachman Turner Overdrive - You ain't seen nothin' yet
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle