collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 613
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa: My decision to let Fernando past  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Dare

Massa: My decision to let Fernando past
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
The short of it don't look for any Massa wins this year.Just
makes me wonder if Alonso had this coved when he joined
Ferrari as to avoid teamies beating him like at Mcclaren

Felipe Massa has explained how it was apparently his decision to yield to Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso in Sunday’s German Grand Prix. Having led since the start, thanks to a superb getaway from third place, the Brazilian received a Lap 48 information feed via team radio and duly backed off whilst exiting the hairpin shortly afterwards.

Having heard the radio message from Race Engineer Rob Smedley, who explained that Alonso was running quicker behind, the Spaniard drove past before going on to collect his second win of the year. However, despite being clearly dejected after the Grand Prix, Massa’s comments in the FIA media pen suggested otherwise.

“Yeah, sure,” Massa replied when asked by BBC Sport if he, as the team had already commented, had himself elected to slow down. “I didn’t have good pace on the Hard tyres, which is not the first time it has happened this year – most of the time when we have been using the Hard tyres the same thing has happened, so it was my decision.”

Massa then denied any team orders, for which the Scuderia has since been fined $100,000 dollars by race stewards. “Well, for sure we always need to think that we’re working for the team but we didn’t have team orders in the race, so I took my decision because I was struggling on the Hard tyres and that’s the direction (we are going in),” he continued, before being asked to confirm whether Alonso was actually quicker.

Massa - 8th - is now 38 points before Alonso - 5th - in the Drivers' Championship“Yeah, I think everybody saw, no?” Massa was then quizzed over whether his 2010 title attack is now over, as long as Alonso is ahead in the points. “I don’t know,” he said. 

“For sure, we’ve lost so many points and we are many points behind the leader and I think, you know, in this championship it would be very, very difficult for me, you know? But, anyway, you never know.”

Finally, Felipe – whose anniversary of his near-fatal Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying crash was on Sunday – was asked if his championship position would have changed, should he have won in Germany. “I would have been happy,” he replies with a wry smile.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Massa: My decision to let Fernando past
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
As I said on another thread - penalize Massa in a huge way (points away and a massive fine).  That way he will know he should race his teammate...it doesn't mean he should block, and if his teammate has a real run on him down a straight, nothing wrong with giving him room, without slowing down.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
I agree, Scott. I'd even go so far as parking Massa for a race or two. This kind of race fixing has to stop.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
One word:-TEAM

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »

If the public believes that F1 drivers aren't trying to win every second of the race, that they're not in competition, that the results are predetermined, they will cease to watch. 

If we want scripted drama, there are books, movies, and plenty of TV shows that provide that.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
Are the vast majority of the fans cheering for a team or for a driver? This kind of result fixing belongs in the WWE, not F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Are the vast majority of the fans cheering for a team or for a driver? This kind of result fixing belongs in the WWE, not F1.

Well, actually the largest identifiable group of F1 fans are the Tifosi - and they are cheering for the team, not the drivers.

F1 is fairly unique, in that the athletes are simultaneously 'teammates' and direct competitors.  Other motor sports do have that aspect, but there is no 'team championship' in IndyCar or NASCAR... you might be happy to help your teammate once your chances are through, but never before.

The closest analogy would be when athletes on a team compete for individual honours.  Famously Jean Beliveau of the Montreal Canadiens received death threats for outscoring Maurice Richard, who was suspended at the end of the season.  (How upset were Montreal sports fans?  They basically wrecked the city in protest.  Maurice Richard is God in Montreal.)

David

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »

If the public believes that F1 drivers aren't trying to win every second of the race, that they're not in competition, that the results are predetermined, they will cease to watch. 

If we want scripted drama, there are books, movies, and plenty of TV shows that provide that.

F1 is a team sport as well as a single driver sport, like it or lump it. I actually cheer Ferrari as a team first and formost. For that reason I disagree with your comment Jeri.

My driver preference would be Massa, I don't actually like Alonso and never have (Sorry Ju, it stems for him beating Schumacher), but if he's doing the job then so be it.

I'm not trying to condone what happened on Sunday because it actually made me sick to the pit of my stomach, but at the same time I understand why.

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
IMHO F1 should be, first and foremost, a Team Sport.

The vast amount of money and sponsorship is aimed at the team and the cars, not to the individual Prima Donna Driver. Of the hundreds of employees, most are dedicated to the team, not any particular driver.

I firmly believe that Team Orders should be used freely and openly to benefit the team as a whole. There is nothing wrong if one driver's purpose in the race is to assist the other driver. The team manager should be calling the shots, not a driver who has enough to think about just trying to keep the car right side up. Thinking isn't a strong point with most drivers.

The Team Manager should have complete power over the events of the day, and should also be more in the spotlight and even be included in the podium press meetings.  Men like Flavio add much flavor to the sport (but deliberately causing a safety car parade might have pushed the envelope a bit).

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »

F1 is a team sport as well as a single driver sport, like it or lump it. I actually cheer Ferrari as a team first and formost. For that reason I disagree with your comment Jeri.

My driver preference would be Massa, I don't actually like Alonso and never have (Sorry Ju, it stems for him beating Schumacher), but if he's doing the job then so be it.

I'm not trying to condone what happened on Sunday because it actually made me sick to the pit of my stomach, but at the same time I understand why.

There was no gain for the team in what happened on Sunday David, Ferrari would have got a one/two finish if they had not issued the order. Not only is this race fixing this is also a blatant and public attempt to alter the outcome of the drivers championship, which is why everyone is so angry. We all thought this sort of stupid spectacle was a thing of the past with the new regs brought in after the 2002 debacle.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »

The Team Manager should have complete power over the events of the day

So, when Massa out qualifies Alonso, Ferrari should be allowed to switch them on the grid? Should we go back to the old days where, if the #1 driver's car blows up, he can take over the other team car?

If the teams are allowed to fix the races, than let's just go all the way to pro wrestling. I'd love to see Bernie out there like Vince McMahon.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
The WDC is a driver's championship, awarded to the season's best driver. It is the award most fans care about, the WCC just an afterthought. Without looking it up do you know who won the WCC in say 1983? Ferrari was likely headed for a 1-2 regardless of who won, so it was just an attempt to manipulate the WDC. Teams may use team orders all the time, but in being so blatant about it, Ferrari was showing their contempt for the FIA, the WDC, and all F1 fans. Disgusting

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
And here is Luca's contempt in quotes:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85587
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
And here is Luca's contempt in quotes:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85587

"With Ferrari's actions in covertly ordering Felipe Massa to sacrifice the lead for his team-mate..."

I'm not sure the writer knows what 'covert' means... if it was actually covertly done, I doubt there would be any problem at all.

Luca's an old school F1 guy.  Nothing wrong with that per se.  But the rules are the rules.  If Ferrari were to start picking and choosing which ones to follow, who's to say that McLaren might not start something else up?  (Might I suggest getting a Smedly sound alike, and a radio on the Ferrari frequency...)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »
Luca's attitude is all the more reason why Ferrari, Alonso, and even Massa should get a nuclear penalty. The Team orders and contemptuous attitude should guarantee that they do not benefit from their actions.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle