collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 637
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Meteorite hits fan at cricket match  (Read 723 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Meteorite hits fan at cricket match
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »

Close encounters at Third Man  :swoon: (well Square Leg boundary actually)  :P

I know, I know - what can you expect if you watch paint drying.... oops sorry I mean Cricket. :D

Two cricket fans' enjoyment of a county cricket match was interrupted when a meteorite sailed towards the boundary ropes, hitting one man in the chest.

Jan Marszel, 51, and Richard Haynes, 52, were watching Sussex players Luke Wright and Monty Panesar bat when a black object soared towards them.

The rock, five inches in length and thought to be up to 4.5 billion years old, crashed into the ground and broke in two just in front of their seats square of the wicket.

Mr Marszel, an IT consultant, told the Daily Telegraph: “We were sitting at the boundary edge when all of a sudden, out of a blue sky, we saw this small dark object hurtling towards us.

“It landed five yards inside the boundary and split into two pieces.

“One piece bounced up and hit me in the chest and the other ended up against the boundary board.

“It came across at quite a speed - if it had hit me full on it could have been very interesting."

Meteorite strikes are extremely rare, but Mr Haynes remains convinced the object that is now back at his home is indeed a lump of rock from outer space.

Mr Haynes, said: “We were quietly supping our pints, both looked up at the same time and saw a black object coming towards us - we didn’t know what it was.

“If it had come from the other direction we might have suspected someone had thrown it, but we saw it come in straight over the ground from quite a way out - it was definitely a meteorite.”

Dr Matthew Genge, a meteorite expert at Imperial College, London, said: “If this turns out to be a meteorite it’s very exciting and would be the first fall in the UK since 1992.

"Potentially it contains secrets as to the formation of our solar system."

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com, July 26.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Hampster

Re: Meteorite hits fan at cricket match
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
they're  worth a lot more money  when they hit ppl as well  :crazy:

Offline cosworth151

Re: Meteorite hits fan at cricket match
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
Since it went past the boundary ropes on the fly, did the batting team get 6 runs?  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle