collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa - I would rather quit than be no.2  (Read 4857 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Massa - I would rather quit than be no.2
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

Much as I like you Felippe I think your trying to convince yourself with this tosh, you are about four days to late with this response - which by the way should have been aired over the radio at Hockenheim ahead of you driving to victory.  :P

I also wonder if Schumi is really ready to face a title attempt next year with Haug's views at Mercedes.?

Felipe Massa insisted, today, he is not Ferrari's number two driver, confirming he is aiming for victory this weekend in Hungary.

Since Hockenheim, where the Brazilian obeyed a team order to let teammate Fernando Alonso win, Brazilian cartoonists have depicted Massa as a puppet.

"People will see him now as a 'yes man' who bends to the will of the company," David Coulthard wrote in his latest Telegraph column.

"And maybe they are right. Team player or stooge? The line is thin."

Mercedes' Norbert Haug said at a pre-race press conference in Hungary that the application of a driver hierarchy can affect motivation.

"If you say 'you are number two' ... it's a complex issue," said the German.

"If the drivers are not fully motivated you will not achieve anything. That needs to be kept in mind," added Haug.

Massa told reporters at the Hungaroring that he is aiming to win this weekend's race, where last year he suffered life-threatening injuries in a qualifying crash.

"The time I have to I say I am the number two driver, I will not race anymore," he pledged.

Earlier, he arrived at the Budapest venue with Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali.

OneStopStrategy.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Massa - I would rather quit than be no.2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »

"The time I have to I say I am the number two driver, I will not race anymore," he pledged.

OneStopStrategy.com, Today.

So I don't get it...is Fisi racing from Budapest onwards?   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
I guess we know who's going to be driving Mini's new WRC car next year.  ;)

Tell Kimi all the guys in Marinello say "Hi."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
Not sure what to make of this.

Massa was definitely a clear #2 to Schumacher, but I suppose when he came out ahead of Kimi in 2008, he must feel that he no longer has to wear that label (and rightly so)

In the greater scheme of things... if there was no rule against Team Orders, Massa did the right thing for his team, and he did it grudgingly, which is the attitude Ferrari wants.

So, can we take his statement to be he's going to do whatever he can to win, except let Alonso through if he's right behind?

Or has he lost enough sleep this week that we won't see a replay of last weekend at Hungary (assuming Ferrari is in that same position)?  That would explain the delayed statment.  I also hope it's true... I miss hearing Alonso complain on the radio.  If Bernie charged to listen to driver radios, I'd give serious consideration to getting it, just to listen to Alonso ;-)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
This is definitely locking the barn door after the horses have gone. I don't think Felipe could have made himself #2 any more clearly than he did.

Lonny
Lonny

David

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:35 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it after last weekend you are the #2 driver in the team. Unless you have a remarkable turn round of fortune and start to dominate over Alonso you will be until the end of the season. There is always next year, and you can be sure I and the rest of the Ferrari fans will be there cheering you from the first race onward.

Keep you chin up and drive the wheels off that car, your fans love you and always will. Go Felipe Baby.  :good:

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 02:09:17 AM »
As much as it pains me to say it after last weekend you are the #2 driver in the team. Unless you have a remarkable turn round of fortune and start to dominate over Alonso you will be until the end of the season. There is always next year, and you can be sure I and the rest of the Ferrari fans will be there cheering you from the first race onward.

Keep you chin up and drive the wheels off that car, your fans love you and always will. Go Felipe Baby.  :good:

yeah David, go FELIPE GO!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 02:18:09 AM »
Not sure what to make of this.

Massa was definitely a clear #2 to Schumacher, but I suppose when he came out ahead of Kimi in 2008, he must feel that he no longer has to wear that label (and rightly so)

In the greater scheme of things... if there was no rule against Team Orders, Massa did the right thing for his team, and he did it grudgingly, which is the attitude Ferrari wants.

So, can we take his statement to be he's going to do whatever he can to win, except let Alonso through if he's right behind?

Or has he lost enough sleep this week that we won't see a replay of last weekend at Hungary (assuming Ferrari is in that same position)?  That would explain the delayed statment.  I also hope it's true... I miss hearing Alonso complain on the radio.  If Bernie charged to listen to driver radios, I'd give serious consideration to getting it, just to listen to Alonso ;-)

thanks for such an enjoyable post Jeri

...yeah, felipe helped retire kimi early after kicking his butt last year and let us not forget HAMILTON fluked his WDC by one lousy point [I think?] i in 2008. So he has the goods even if his serious injury last year may have negatively impacted on him.

...and sssh ya naughty gal, as bernie may read ya post and decide to directly charge us for listening to the drivers' race radio talk.  :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:00:52 AM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 03:01:50 AM »
half way thru the season Ferrari named Massa the number
two driver by the Alonso is faster radio transmission,seems
I remember hearing that same Alonso is faster on Fisichella's
radio at Renault.

Who says Flavio is out of F1,maybe he ought to help his other
driver Mark at Red Bull
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

seenathkumar

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »
No doubt massa is from one of the best drivers. I don't know why he gone against sporting regulations of FIA World Motor Sport Council. Let's hope it will not affect his performance.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
So this is Massa's last season in F1 then.  :fool:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »
If Massa was a #1 driver he would have been able to beat Schumi, Kimi and Ferd.
No dice.

He also has not been the same since he came back from the head injury.

Time to step down Massa but don't blame it on the team.

seenathkumar

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »
Micheal Schumacher is one of the best driver in F1. Massa is also good. coming 1 or 2 is not the issue completing the race with technique is very important. Massa has come now but schumacher is one oldest and experienced F1 racer. He is 7 times world champion. It is just a matter of time

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
Micheal Schumacher is one of the best driver in F1. Massa is also good. coming 1 or 2 is not the issue completing the race with technique is very important. Massa has come now but schumacher is one oldest and experienced F1 racer. He is 7 times world champion. It is just a matter of time
You are quoting statistics (7 times world champion) this does not make Schumacher a great driver. Many truly great drivers never won a single championship. Schumacher (or his manager) made sure he was in the best teams. He then bullied his way to being a clear number one in the team. He cheated his way to 3 of the 7 Championship wins. He has never been a great driver and he has often been beaten by team-mates in identical machines.
It is true Massa does not have the ruthless streak of say Senna, Schumacher and Alonso. As a spectator that doesn't make him a worse driver in my opinion. However, in the dog-eat-dog world of F1 it probably does mean he will be a number two driver for the rest of this year.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
let us not forget HAMILTON fluked his WDC by one lousy point [I think?] i in 2008.

Does that mean that Kimi "fluked his WDC by one lousy point" the season before? Were Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Surtees and Piquet flukes, too? How about Niki Lauda, who won the 84 WDC by only 1/2 a point?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle