collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 560
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso:Button will challenge for title  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Dare

Alonso:Button will challenge for title
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »

Fernando Alonso is fully expecting Jenson Button to be one of his main rivals for this year's Formula One world title.

Button finished last season strongly for Honda, outscoring Alonso and Michael Schumacher in the closing seven races as they battled for the championship.

With the start to the new season just two months away, Button and Honda have continuity on their side following a winter of change within the sport.

Seven-time king Schumacher has retired; Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen are with new teams, while there is now only one tyre manufacturer in Bridgestone, who have long been suppliers to Honda.

If Button can continue the progress he made at the end of 2006, he could finally fulfil the promise many know he has, but on which he has so often failed to deliver.

Alonso, for one, believes Button will be challenging as he said: "I think he can be one of my main rivals this year. I'm expecting him to have moved on.

"We will see how the winter tests go but, right now in January, he is one of the names on the table.

"Honda have got continuity, and maybe they can make something of that because this year it's down to the tyres.

"Whatever team can get used to them quicker will have the advantage."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Alonso is backing himself to win a third successive title, despite joining a McLaren team that failed to win a grand prix last season for the first time in a decade.

Yet after leaving Renault, who helped him win his two titles in the past two years, Alonso concedes he feels like a man re-born.

"What I have felt at McLaren is good professionalism, a team that is very determined and focused on the championship," added Alonso.

"There is a new atmosphere within the team, and I saw that when I went to the factory and met all the people. They are so excited.

"They really think that after a few years without success, this is the year to come back. No-one has doubts.

"That was a complete surprise to me, yet from my point of view, it was great to see all that optimism, and I feel more ambitious now - a completely new man.

"Sometimes after a tough season and when the winter arrives, you want to test as late as possible, to be on your holidays as much as you can.

"But now it's the opposite. I want to be in the car. I feel like when I arrived in Formula One six years ago. I just want to drive."

Alonso showed no hesitation when he was asked as to who were the favourites for the title this year, replying: "McLaren.

"I don't know about Ferrari and Renault, but I've full confidence in us.

"From all the information I have, everything looks so promising and I'm so optimistic.

"If the info on paper becomes reality on the track, then we will have a very good car. We will be strong."

We'll wait and see

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle