collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 232
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber has history on his side for WDC this year  (Read 5240 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Webber has history on his side for WDC this year
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »

Is history repeating itself? Well I wouldn't bet against Mark making it 3rd time lucky for OZ.  :yahoo:

In 1959, Jack Brabham became Australia's first Formula One World Champion. He won his title in a Cooper, the team's first Constructors' Championship win.

In 1980, Alan Jones became Australia's second Formula One World Champion. He won his title in a Williams, the team's first Constructors' Championship win.

This season, Australian Mark Webber is leading the Drivers' Championship. His team, Red Bull, is currently favourite to win its first Constructors' Championship.

pitpass.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Webber has history on his side for WDC this year
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
Will someone send this to Dieter and Marko so they stop mucking about?  :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
Fingers crossed for Mark that this all does mean fate is working for him!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »
Will someone send this to Dieter and Marko so they stop mucking about?  :fool:

They might get the Austria/Australia thing mixed up though...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 03:10:19 AM »
Webber and Vettel will go to Brazil a couple of points apart and since Ferrari was basically unpunished for team orders, Mark will be ordered to let Vettel through. When he refuses he will be yet another WDC let go by his team for the following year.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:36:57 AM »
Webber and Vettel will go to Brazil a couple of points apart and since Ferrari was basically unpunished for team orders, Mark will be ordered to let Vettel through. When he refuses he will be yet another WDC let go by his team for the following year.

Lonny

I've only been a fan for 20 years and can't think of a single driver who was "let go" by his team for winning a WDC!? Sure, a few have jumped ship but that was the driver'$ (and agent$) decision wasn't it?
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:02 AM »
Damon Hill ring a bell?   ;)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »

Lonny

I've only been a fan for 20 years and can't think of a single driver who was "let go" by his team for winning a WDC!? Sure, a few have jumped ship but that was the driver'$ (and agent$) decision wasn't it?

In addition to Hill... Alonso and Button also changed teams after a WDC.  Schumacher left Bennetton after a double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
But those two were at least offered contracts, but they chose to go elsewhere...I think Damon wasn't offered anything (i.e. He was fired).

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
Yes, I think Hill has been the only WDC dropped by his team recently. The others, as pointed out and I was only saying, left their respective teams for the almighty $.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
Yes, I think Hill has been the only WDC dropped by his team recently. The others, as pointed out and I was only saying, left their respective teams for the almighty $.

Webber is under contract to RBR for next year.  Seems unlikely that anyone would pay the defending WDC to sit on the sidelines.  I guess that's the advantage of the main sponsor owning the team.

If Mark could secure a ride at Ferrari or McLaren, he'd probably happily let RBR terminate him.  As it stands, very unlikely.

Also, Hill got paid more at Arrows than he was getting at Williams.  I don't know if Frank tried to keep Hill, but I suspect that with Villeneuve in his back pocket, any offers made to Hill must've seemed insultingly low.  In a world of What If, my Canadian point of view is that Villeneuve would've beaten Hill if they'd remained at Williams, in which case, it was a sound move. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »
Anyhow...the remark was about what would happen if Mark didn't obey team orders. 

As for Red Bull considering dropping Webber, it is possible, but I think they would be morons after he's shown he has not only the speed to match Vettel, but the maturity to beat him.

As for Webber considering Ferrari or Mclaren - why on earth??  If Red Bull keeps up their development (and Webber is likely to know as well as anyone if that appears to be the case) then they are clearly the team to beat, not Mclaren or Ferrari.  Those two are trying to catch up with each new innovation RBR comes out with.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
Anyhow...the remark was about what would happen if Mark didn't obey team orders. 

As for Red Bull considering dropping Webber, it is possible, but I think they would be morons after he's shown he has not only the speed to match Vettel, but the maturity to beat him.

RBR signed Mark's new contract AFTER the '#2 driver' controversy began.  They know what to expect from him.  Even if he doesn't follow team orders, I can't imagine they'll be too upset about a WDC.

From a purely practical point of view... if they plan to win a lot of championships with Vettel, they're going to make him want to stay.  If they believe that means mistreating Mark, it seems that's the mistake they're prepared to make.

All along I'd hoped that Webber would be mentoring Vettel.  I don't know if that's the case (or even the intention).  And if he is, he's not doing a great job!  Of course, as a race car driver, he's the best of the bunch. 

If he wasn't under contract for next year, and he barged ahead of Vettel agasint orders, I think there would be more to this.  As it stands, I can't see many scenarios where Webber is cut loose.

As for Webber considering Ferrari or Mclaren - why on earth??  If Red Bull keeps up their development (and Webber is likely to know as well as anyone if that appears to be the case) then they are clearly the team to beat, not Mclaren or Ferrari.  Those two are trying to catch up with each new innovation RBR comes out with.

Sometimes it's nice to be where you're wanted, and treated how you'd like to be treated.  If he's WDC, and feels like RBR is going to make him feel like a #2 driver, why not go to a (potentially) slower car and be happy?  There's no guarantee that RBR will be on top next year. 

(Personally, I'm hoping that F1F1 is on top... just to a) shake things up and b) prove that an F1 team can be built from the ground up in a short time - I can't imagine a better scenario for bringing in new sponsorship and teams into the sport)

Williamsfan

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »
Damon did go for negotiations for Williams but the story is his agent asked for way too much money and showed the team very little respect so was promptly shown the door.  However I am sure there are all sorts of stories on this! 

As for Webber, I think he is safe at RBR and a title for him would be celebrated but I cannot help but feel the celebrations would be bigger for Vettel!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
Frank Williams is well known to believe that a driver is just another component you plug into a car, and they're pretty much interchangable (except for Alan Jones). Mansell left after winning the WDC saying he got no respect from Williams, and I seriously doubt that Haas Indycar paid anything like F1 levels, most people believe he left to avoid teaming with Prost. Prost won the title and promptly left to avoid partnering with Senna. Damon Hill won and left alledgedly over things like his motorhome, passes for his friends and family, not over salary. Williams has never tried overly hard to retain WDC winners

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle