collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 605
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA to toughen up flexi-tests yet again  (Read 3955 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
FIA to toughen up flexi-tests yet again
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »

Looks like Charlie Whiting has been ordered to try and make sure no one team runs away with the rest of the season, could mean the championship goes all the way to the wire, so it can only be good for us the fans.

The FIA is to ramp up its flexi bodywork tests further for the Italian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT has learned, in a move to stop teams gaining a potential unfair advantage.

Although it is widely known that the FIA is to increase the loads it uses to test deflection of the front wings from this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, sources have revealed that even more action is to be taken for the next event in Monza.

Amid mounting speculation that the lower front wings observed on the Red Bull Racing and Ferrari cars are being put into use through clever flexing of the car's floor, rather than the wings flexing down themselves, the FIA is to introduce extra tests on the underside area of the car.

In a document sent to teams during the summer break by Charlie Whiting, FIA technical chiefs have been informed that extra tests are to take place on the floor of the chassis - especially in the 'tea tray' area at the front edge.

The teams have not been told exactly what the tests will be - only that they will take place 380mm behind the front wheel centre line at points 100mm either side of the car centre line.

Furthermore, it is understood that the FIA is to revise the regulations regarding skid blocks, to ensure that joints in this area do not allow freedom that could help the floor to flex.

From the Italian Grand Prix it is understood that the skid block can comprise of no more than two pieces, and that no piece of the skid block can be less than one metre long. A number of teams are understood to use several sections of skid block on the underside of their floor.

To further ensure teams are not deflecting the floor, from Monza all joints, bearing pivots and any other form of articulation must also be fixed.

The move by the FIA comes on the back of weeks of controversy about flexible front wings - with Red Bull Racing and Ferrari's designs having come under intense scrutiny.

By Jonathan Noble, Autosport, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

Re: FIA to toughen up flexi-tests yet again
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »
After watching Indy racing I think F1 should have similar aerodynamics, they can get right up the car in fronts tail and get good slipstreaming allowing closer racing.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »
So... keeping costs under control is no longer a priority?

Changing the rules midseason, and forcing teams to redesign their cars?

I don't want to see anyone run away with the championship, but all the same, why bother trying if you know the FIA is going to pull the rug out from under you anyway?

The biggest mistake was writing the testing into the rules.  Say what you want (no wing/body flex) and let the teams wonder how that's going to be tested.  Could even leave it up to local marshalls.  For example, the British GP could load the car up with Bernie's fees.  The Italian GP could have Flavio jump on the wings to see if they flex.    :tease:

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
Keeping costs was never a priority.  It's only a ploy to keep the teams from trying to get more out of Bernie.   :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Keeping costs was never a priority.  It's only a ploy to keep the teams from trying to get more out of Bernie.   :P

What if HRT or Virgin don't pass these new standards?  Are they going to be rebuilt with SLOWER parts?

Or worse, what if the FIA breaks their cars?  Who pays for that?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »
They probably never figured out how to make their wings flexible in the first place, if they even thought of it.  If the FIA breaks their wings, then they weren't strong enough.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:24:12 AM »
I agree with Jeri (again  :swoon:), Why not leave the rules alone until the end of the season? You can't tell me McLaren isn't clever enough to figure this out, they just don't want to pull people off next year's car to do it. Speaking of the IRL, their wings are strong enough to hit another car without disintegrating, why not just beef up the F1 wings to that level; they wouldn't flex, I guarantee it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
I agree with Jeri (again  :swoon:), Why not leave the rules alone until the end of the season? You can't tell me McLaren isn't clever enough to figure this out, they just don't want to pull people off next year's car to do it. Speaking of the IRL, their wings are strong enough to hit another car without disintegrating, why not just beef up the F1 wings to that level; they wouldn't flex, I guarantee it.

Lonny

I don't know why McLaren would throw away a chance to win this year to focus on next year's car.  (See, we don't always have to agree.)  My guess is they're the ones pressuring the FIA to change rules enforcement.

IRL cars are a standard design.  It doesn't matter that the wings are three times as heavy as their F1 counterparts... everyone has the same wing.  F1 is about (and I hope to continue being about) pushing rules to the absolute limit.  Shaving grammes off parts here and there.  Driving a car through rule loopholes the size of a needle's eye.  Pointing out what the other guy is doing wrong, while hiding your own cheats is just part of the dance.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »

I think you are right Jeri some of the non flexi wing teams like McLaren, Mercedes and Renault are obviously pressuring the FIA about the situation, especially since the photos and video evidence has emerged clearly showing movement of RBR & Ferrari front wings beyond the tolerances set by the regs.

I think the argument between the RBR drivers over who got the latest upgrade of front wing focused attention on that area and it is this upgraded version that has taken the flexing to a level that most of the other teamss cannot ignore. For preference competitors want it declared illegal, failing which they will then have to throw much more money and resources to try and copy it; the operative word being try as most admit they are stumped for the answer. 

Today I saw a couple of comparative slo-mos on the TV coverage of practice in Belgium, the Red Bull front wings were wobbling like jellies whilst the mcLaren wings were as rigid as a well starched gents shirt collar. These were the only two they showed but I'm sure they could have used almost any other teams car in place of the McLaren to make the same point. There is obviously something for the FIA to get to the bottom of, under the regs front wings are not supposed to move as much as the RBR and to some extent Ferrari's appear to, which I presume is why the stricter testing regime is being brought in. I'm all for innovation and rule bending, it's lead to some great leaps forward, but I don't think the FIA want to be seen as sitting on the fence with the championship so finely balanced. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:19:08 AM »
Kudos to RBR for making it work, and to Ferrari for copying it so fast. I don't know for sure if McLaren would have to stop work on the 2011 car to develop this, but it's either that or they don't want to spend the money. And I think as long as it passes the FIA weight test, it's perfectly legal. Let the wing wars begin. :yahoo:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
Kudos to RBR for making it work, and to Ferrari for copying it so fast. I don't know for sure if McLaren would have to stop work on the 2011 car to develop this, but it's either that or they don't want to spend the money. And I think as long as it passes the FIA weight test, it's perfectly legal. Let the wing wars begin. :yahoo:

Lonny

Absolutely :good:

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »

I don't know why McLaren would throw away a chance to win this year to focus on next year's car.  (See, we don't always have to agree.)  My guess is they're the ones pressuring the FIA to change rules enforcement.

IRL cars are a standard design.  It doesn't matter that the wings are three times as heavy as their F1 counterparts... everyone has the same wing.  F1 is about (and I hope to continue being about) pushing rules to the absolute limit.  Shaving grammes off parts here and there.  Driving a car through rule loopholes the size of a needle's eye.  Pointing out what the other guy is doing wrong, while hiding your own cheats is just part of the dance.

love ya comment Jeri!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle