collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Lotus dumping Cosworth free up Renault race seat?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will Lotus dumping Cosworth free up Renault race seat?
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »
All the talk of a swap for Petrov from Renault to Lotus, for next year, could well be true now Lotus have freed themselves to become Renault engine/gearbox customers. This could make the 2nd Renault seat the only top drive open for next year, could be quite a scramble to get it. Anyone care to speculate?  

Cosworth has announced that it has reached an agreement to end its current engine supply deal with the Lotus team. The move paves the way for Lotus to sign a deal with Renault, with whom the team has reached an agreement in principle for a supply of engines, gearboxes and transmissions, as revealed by AUTOSPORT last week.

"Cosworth has reached an agreement in principle with Lotus Racing whereby the team's Cosworth engine supply agreement will come to a conclusion at the end of the current Formula 1 season," said Cosworth in a statement on Sunday night.

"This agreement is subject to contract and until the agreement is signed, neither party will be making any further comment."

Lotus driver Jarno Trulli retired from today's Italian Grand Prix with a gearbox problem, prompting team boss Tony Fernandes to post on Twitter: "Jarno retired [due to] gearbox. Oh well, making decisions easier."

By Pablo Elizalde, Autosport.com, Sept 12.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Will Lotus dumping Cosworth free up Renault race seat?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Lotus has said that Renault required them to take their engines in order to get their gearboxes. That seems like trying to cure a headache by blowing your brains out. I guess I'll be packing my Lotus stuff back up at the end of the season.

More about Lotus: Lotus has done a deal to use the name "Team Lotus" starting next season.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=386604&FS=F1
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
Heidfeld and Kimi would be the obvious 'top driver's available for a seat at a 'Top Team' next year.

Of the 'downfield' drivers, Petrov and Kobayashi seem to be the best, but Kobayashi is spoken for, and if Petrov is going to Lotus, then that would rule him out too.

Given the status of the new teams, there's not much point in evaluating their drivers:  they haven't been given a fair chance.  Does Renault run a development programme?  If so, who's at the top of that?  Otherwise, I guess top GP2 drivers will be given the chance, and I don't follow GP2 to know who that might be.

And there's always Villeneuve.  Sure, it didn't work out LAST time with Renault, but maybe THIS time...  :fool:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »
Heidfeld may be headed for Sauber.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22599.html
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
I would not be surprised to see Heikki end up at Renault once again if Petrov heads to Lotus.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:17 PM »
If I were Renault I would hire Petrov without the extra funding.  He's more than proven himself as a capable F1 driver, and only experience will make him better.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
If I were Renault I would hire Petrov without the extra funding.  He's more than proven himself as a capable F1 driver, and only experience will make him better.

If he's still a pay driver, why not take the money and let him drive?   >:D

He's earned a spot in F1 I think.  I don't know that he'll be able to beat any of the current 'top guns', but look at how long it took Webber and Button to round into championship form.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »
He's earned a spot in F1 I think.  I don't know that he'll be able to beat any of the current 'top guns', but look at how long it took Webber and Button to round into championship form.

I agree.  I think he has shown considerable improvement during the season, and I would expect him to continue to improve. If he also brings sponsorship too, so much the better.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Well, the Raikkonen to Renault rumours have surfaced yet again with the team suggesting Kimi has contacted them about the possibility of racing for the team.  Here is the article from Autosport:

Kimi Raikkonen is making a fresh bid to return to Formula 1 next year after approaching the Renault team for a drive in 2011, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Although it had looked likely that Raikkonen would remain in the World Rally Championship next year after his switch of discipline for this season, AUTOSPORT has learned that Raikkonen has renewed his interest in getting back to grand prix racing.

Sources have revealed that in the wake of Renault's impressive form at the Belgian Grand Prix, Raikkonen approached the French car manufacturer with the intent of putting a deal together.

It is not clear, however, whether Raikkonen spoke to Renault himself or if it was done through his management team.

Raikkonen has always insisted that he would only come back to F1 if he was in a competitive car - and that is something that Renault now appears to be able to offer him.

But despite Raikkonen's credentials, Renault is in no rush to advance talks with him - and it is still holding on for current driver Vitaly Petrov to prove he can deliver what the team is demanding of him.

Renault team principal Eric Boullier confirmed that Raikkonen had approached the team - and is in contention for a seat alongside Robert Kubica in 2011.

"It is true that the summer has passed and we have had more and more requests - and the guy you mentioned [Raikkonen] is on the radar now," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"He is on the radar because he contacted us."

Boullier has long said that the team will keep Petrov next year if the Russian can improve his consistency throughout a whole race weekend - and not make silly errors like his spin in qualifying in Spa and blocking Timo Glock in qualifying at Monza.

When asked what Petrov had to do to convince Renault that he is a better option than Raikkonen, Boullier said: "He is not very far away to be honest.

"It is still very complicated for him to have a complete weekend and be faultless, and that is where he needs to work and focus on, and develop clearly his commitment and dedication."

One of the attractions of Petrov is the commercial possibilities he opens up in Russia, and Boullier said Renault would have to change its approach if it decided to take the Raikkonen route.

"It would be a different strategy for the team," he said. "And that is not a question of personality or having a world championship title - it will cost me more if he is world champion than if he is not. It is not a question of this - it is a different strategy.

"You work differently if you have a rookie - and in supporting him - than if you have two experienced drivers. So it is different.

"We need to think about it. But the priority is Vitaly, and to see how he will develop. If we are convinced then we will keep him definitely. This is the first option.

But there are several other options, and one of them is Kimi."

Boullier said he expected a decision on Renault's 2011 driver line-up to be made before the end of the season.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »

Sounds to me WF that Boullier has got the Renault parent company hovering over his shoulder, with the main business now stabilised and getting back to health they want the F1 team with their name to play with the big boys again. Eric just seems happy being mid pack and covering his financial backside, it will be interesting to see which position comes out on top as Renault do not have a majority of the team's shares.

However even Eric admits Vitaly needs more experience which is exactly the reason I think Petrov will be parked at Lotus, like many young drivers who have been placed at Minardi, Sauber & others in the past he will gain experience, but crucially the funding he brings will stay inside the Renault umbrella.

I also think Sutil may be in with a shout for the 2nd Renault seat, I'm sure hard working Kubica would much prefer Adrian to the laissez-faire attitude of Kimi, but who knows? ;)

Williamsfan

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
I agree with what you say John, this sounds like a team not quite sure where it wants to be next year.  Petrov does need more experience but I wonder if a move to a back of the grid team will help him out, unless of course if he moves to Lotus as this rumour suggests.  But then, what of whoever he replaces?  I sense Trulli is less than happy with his move there so maybe he could move on/retire? 

Good call on Sutil, I think he really needs a move as well before his star begins to wane. 

I do love endless speculation :D

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »

Sounds to me WF that Boullier has got the Renault parent company hovering over his shoulder, with the main business now stabilised and getting back to health they want the F1 team with their name to play with the big boys again. Eric just seems happy being mid pack and covering his financial backside, it will be interesting to see which position comes out on top as Renault do not have a majority of the team's shares.

However even Eric admits Vitaly needs more experience which is exactly the reason I think Petrov will be parked at Lotus, like many young drivers who have been placed at Minardi, Sauber & others in the past he will gain experience, but crucially the funding he brings will stay inside the Renault umbrella.

I also think Sutil may be in with a shout for the 2nd Renault seat, I'm sure hard working Kubica would much prefer Adrian to the laissez-faire attitude of Kimi, but who knows? ;)

That is a good iea.  Petrov does need a little more time to 'mature'.  (Damn this lack of in season testing!  I'm pretty sure that's part of Hulkenberg's problems too.)  If you can get Kimi in your car, why not?

If they do go with Sutil for Renault, I wonder if Kimi might be a better fit for Vijay Mallya?  The Force India team will be competitive next year, and (a motivated) Kimi could steal them some wins.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 02:18:54 PM »

If they do go with Sutil for Renault, I wonder if Kimi might be a better fit for Vijay Mallya?  The Force India team will be competitive next year, and (a motivated) Kimi could steal them some wins.

Good thought Jeri, however I don't see Vijay though as someone who is prepared to pay Kimi's sort of wages, or anywhere near what Kimi thinks he's worth.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
There was another article about Kimi already publicly speaking to Renault about next year.  They don't appear to be keeping it secret.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
There was another article about Kimi already publicly speaking to Renault about next year.  They don't appear to be keeping it secret.

Then I guess they're seeing how sponsors might react to having Mr. Personality in a Renault.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle