collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 597
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumacher could retire by 2011 - Jordan  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Dare

Schumacher could retire by 2011 - Jordan
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
I for one hope he doesn't and Mercedes has a
competive car next year to see if MS still has it

ESPNF1 Staff
September 17, 2010 « Lotus poised to sign deal with Toyota 
© Getty Images Enlarge
Related LinksProfiles:Michael Schumacher Teams:Mercedes Speculation around Michael Schumacher's career has been called into question, after it has been suggested he may retire at the end of this season by BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan

"I've a hunch something fundamental has changed. I believe he is disillusioned and thinking of quitting," said Jordan. "There are too many indications that now give me the feeling he is reconsidering his commitment to his three-year contract."

Jordan remains convinced that there will be some changes to the Mercedes team for the 2011 season. "There is far too much movement in the Mercedes motorhome involving managers from drivers from other teams. It's also rumoured that as a result of the lack of performance of the Mercedes car, expectations for next year within the team are not as high as they were at first."

Furthermore Jordan believes that the incident at the Hungarian Grand Prix, in which Schumacher was penalised for dangerous driving against Rubens Barrichello, will be another factor which will weigh on his mind.

"The Barrichello incident had an effect - he hadn't realised driver standards had changed so much, and that has surprised Michael. My guess is Michael has probably come to the conclusion that, despite his undoubted brilliance, just like this year he's not going to be able to drag that into being a winning car."

However Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn told BBC Sport "[There will be] no changes to the driver [for next season]."

Retirement rumours were also denied by Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm who told BBC Sport "Michael has no plans to quit at the end of the year."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

Re: Schumacher could retire by 2011 - Jordan
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
One person that annoys me almost as much as the well know cheat, M Schumacher is Eddie Jordan. His 'hunches' are normally nowhere near the truth and I for one wish he would keep them to himself.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

I think Eddie has been partying too hard and his marbles have become muddled. :fool: Or else he is just putting forward the hypothesis in order to be a smart Alec just in case if it were ever to happen, if it doesn't Eddie believes no one will remember his stupid comment - pratt that he is. ::)   

Schumi has a 3 year deal at Merc and he has been talking for the last couple of months about next year as the real focal point for him. Now if this was his second season and he was languishing so far down the order it would be very plausible for him to walk away, - but not this year. :nono:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
No question in my mind.  He was quite happy to hang out mid field in the Ferrari when he first started there until he had a car he could drive. 

He knows that Merc (Brawn) are now developing the 2011 car exactly to his liking, and will support him every way in 2011 and 12.  Eddie is just foaming at the mouth, with nothing bright to say.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
I too would be of the opinion that Michael is going nowhere and is biding his time for Merc to get it together. One part of me wants to see him racing at the top again and the other thinks of the Rubens incident and thinks screw him.

On another point , EJ rocks IMO.  :good:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
No question in my mind.  He was quite happy to hang out mid field in the Ferrari when he first started there until he had a car he could drive. 

He knows that Merc (Brawn) are now developing the 2011 car exactly to his liking, and will support him every way in 2011 and 12.  Eddie is just foaming at the mouth, with nothing bright to say.

Absolutely true about MS and Ferrari.

He quit because he was bored with F1... why race if he wasn't going to win?

Well, a few years in retirement, I bet he's found that 'why' again.  He'd obviously love to win, (who wouldn't?) but there's nothing quite like racing an F1 car, even if you're not the best of the best.  As long as he's getting what he wants out of the sport (whether it's the thrill, the money, or the weekends away from the family*), I don't see him leaving again:  he knows what awaits him this time.

*I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the Schumacher family, or their residence in Switzerland.  Merely suggesting that having Michael home all the time might not fit right for the family.  (Or maybe there is something wrong.  I dunno!)

Offline Cam

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
He quit because he was bored with F1

He quit becuse he was screwed by Luca Di Montezemolo, who hired Raikonnen and put Schumi in an impossible situation re Felipe.  He might have been contemplating the end of his career but he did not want it to happen then or that way.

Agree totally with those who say he is hanging out for next years car.  The only thing that concerns me is the way he has been consistently bettered by Rosberg this year, no matter how good next years car is I dont see how it could make that much difference.

Eddie Jordan is a mouth whose connection with any intelligent controlling function is getting increasingly tenuous.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
I've never bought that argument.  If Schumi really wanted to stay at Ferrari, he certainly wouldn't have cared a whit what happens to Massa.  He's not that sentimental. 

If anything he was intimidated by Kimi coming along, which would have meant that the team support was not going to be 100% behind MS, and it showed that he could no longer dictate who his teammate would be.  In that sense it was still Luca that screwed him, but he could have stayed if he wanted to.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:21:37 AM »
I too think he is now just waiting for next year. Both drivers have complained of under steer mid corner. But if they both are looking to take the new car in the same direction, I would not be surprized to see Nico besting him next year as well. If Ferrari, Red Bull and Macca are still working on this year's car to win the championships, then Brawn, er.. Mercedes may steal a march on them again next year.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Well, not to be bashing, but just thinking aloud.

Schumacher has had a problem with his neck
Schumacher is not as competitive as Rosberg, nor as he thought he would be (blame it partually on the car, partually on his absence).
As far as I can see, the development of the car is not at a rate as Renault, McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and Red Bull have shown

Still I think - and hope - that Shumi will prove me wrong and will be more up front next year, although I doubt it a little. Why? He is older then everybody else, and I think Mercedes will put more energy in Rosberg for longer term. I think personally that Schumacher will help Rosberg to win and put himself realisticcaly on a second level.

We will see, hope he will be there next year.
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
I'm hoping to see MS will be fully competitive next year too, by the way David, I like EJ too.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
Now Autosport is speculating that Schumi could replace Ross Brawn at the helm of the Mercedes team next season. I really don't see that happening.

http://www.autosport.com/subs/login.php?r=http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/3058&type=feature&id=3058
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Now Autosport is speculating that Schumi could replace Ross Brawn at the helm of the Mercedes team next season. I really don't see that happening.

http://www.autosport.com/subs/login.php?r=http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/3058&type=feature&id=3058

I know that in his first F1 stint Schumacher always said he had no interest in going on the other side of the wall.  Maybe things change.

I doubt he'd make a great team principal(who's the last championship driver who did?) but if it's something he'd like to try, then why not?  Normally the ex drivers end up on underfunded teams, so maybe an ex-champ with a big(ger) budget team can have more success?

(Okay, I answered my own question, StewartF1 may not have set the GP world on fire, but I think Sir Jackie knew what he was doing, and was on the right track.  It took a bigger budget to flush the team...)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
I don't think MS will give up driving until he dets a crack at a car he deems suitable to his style. He will drive next year unless Mercedes forces him out. Knowing Ross, I suspsct they are already far along on next years car hoping to repeat the success of 2009 in 2011.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »
I can't see it happening.  Schumi would do better to be a driver manager than team principal.  He could become Mr 30% or something.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle