collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 548
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren film to launch today  (Read 3355 times)

davewilson

McLaren film to launch today
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »
The Bruce McLaren movie which we reported about recently is taking place today at Taupo in New Zealand, to coincide with the A1 Grand Prix event. The film is to be produced by Michael Garlick and Barrie M Osborne, the latter having been the producer of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Among those who are expected at the event are Patty McLaren-Brickett, Bruce McLaren's widow, his daughter Amanda, his sister Jan, plus Sir Jack Brabham, Chris Amon, Emerson Fittipaldi and former McLaren Racing directors Eoin Young and Phil Keer, plus Wally Willmott, one of the original team mechanics. The event will also be attended by New Zealand government minister Jim Anderton.

Cant wait to get to the local car boot sale for a copy:

The Stig
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:21:53 PM by The Stig »

Offline Wizzo

Re: McLaren film to launch today
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »
Has anyone seen or heard any publicity for this film?  :secret:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
Has anyone seen or heard any publicity for this film?  :secret:

The wife of motor-racing icon Bruce McLaren thinks Hollywood star Tom Cruise would be the best choice to play the part of her late husband.

A $140 million movie about the life of legendary Kiwi racing diver Bruce McLaren will be made in Wellington next year.

"I was talking about who could play the part this morning with my daughter, Amanda, and I thought Tom Cruise would be a good choice," Patty McLaren-Brickett said.

"He looks very similar to Bruce -- he is dark, he is the same height and has a similar build -- he is the only person I thought of at the moment - but he would be too expensive."

Barrie Osborne, who produced The Lord of The Rings trilogy, has confirmed he will produce the film, which has an estimated budget of US$100 million (NZ$140 million).

The film will follow McLaren's life from the hip problem that crippled him as a child through to his becoming one of motor racing's biggest stars.

The Formula 1 driver, who also designed and manufactured racing cars, was killed on June 2, 1970, when his Can Am car crashed during testing at the Goodwood Circuit in England. His name lives on in Team McLaren, one of the most successful in the history of Formula 1 racing.

Motor sport enthusiast Michael Garlick, who will co-produce the film, said the movie was already attracting interest from overseas.

"Bruce McLaren is the biggest story in the history of motor sport," Mr Garlick said. "Nobody has masterminded as many victories and successes as he did. That's why perhaps he is revered more outside of New Zealand than inside."

McLaren's daughter Amanda said the family, including her mother Patty, were thrilled that the film, which starts shooting early next year, was being made.

"My mother and I are very excited about it and fully support the project. I can't wait to see the final product," said Ms McLaren, a nurse who lives in Upper Hutt.

Few people in New Zealand realised her father was a Kiwi. "They see the name and they know it but they assume he was born in England because that's where the racing team operated from.

"A lot of New Zealanders are surprised to find he is a local boy. He was one of the great sportsmen of New Zealand and I think a lot of people don't realise that."

Diagnosed with Perthes' disease as a child, McLaren spent two years in traction at the Wilson Home for Crippled Children in Takapuna yet overcame his difficult start in life to become the youngest person to win a Grand Prix, at 22.

The film would highlight another great Kiwi story, his daughter said.

"I think it will do great things for the country. We have a tremendous sporting history and this is a huge, huge part of it."

McLaren's friend and fellow racing driver Chris Amon will advise on the film, as will school friend and leader of the Progressive Party Jim Anderton.

The script is being developed by Wellington screenwriter Matthew Grainger. Dan Hennah, who won an Oscar for his work on The Lord of the Rings, will be production designer.

Osborne, whose film credits include The Matrix and The Big Chill, said he was very excited about bringing McLaren's story to the world.

"As a kid growing up in New York I remember building a hot rod with my neighbour and we would always seek out McLaren motor parts. He's pretty big around the world," he said.

"We hope to capture the audience's imagination and bring the memory of Bruce McLaren to the forefront again."

Preproduction will begin later this year. The production will be based in Wellington but Mr Garlick said they would probably film several scenes on location around New Zealand and in Britain, Monaco, Germany, France and the United States. He was coy about who might play McLaren.

"We have a number of people in mind. A film with this sort of budget is going to demand a (big) name."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »
Great Information dare:
Now go and find us a copy?
If it is out there i know you will try

The Stig

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »

Thanks dare, you certainly seem to be a film buff.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »

Thanks dare, you certainly seem to be a film buff.

they don't start filming till later this year
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 12:42:09 AM »
So what is all the Hype about?
I thought it was already out like everyone else?

The Stig

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »
So what is all the Hype about?
I thought it was already out like everyone else?

The Stig

?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle