collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 563
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner promises driver equality  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Wats-on

Horner promises driver equality
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
Absolutely ridicoulus in my opinion. Why? Vettel has no realistic chance any more. I mean, for Vettel to become WDC, Red Bull must count on a DNF for Alonso. That won't be, I suppose. Alonso is to calculative for that.

Why not support Webber this year and next year we'll see. Webber can - with a little help from Vettel (and Hamilton) still be champion.

It seems more that Horner doesn't want Webber to be WDC. I feel sorry for the Aussie. It is - imho - a very stupid mistake to make.

«Horner promises driver equality

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner has said the team will not put its full weight behind Mark Webber's title bid despite his superior position in the drivers' standings to team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

Webber lies second in the drivers' standings, just 11 points behind Fernando Alonso with Vettel a further 14 points behind him. But Horner says that he will not force Vettel to play a supporting role with only two races remaining.

"We have two fantastic drivers and we will continue to support both equally in line with Red Bull's credible sporting ethos," Horner told Red Bull's official website.

"As we saw in Korea it is impossible to predict what will happen with five drivers being so closely in contention. For example, with 10 laps to go Sebastian had moved into the lead of the championship, with Alonso then moving into the lead following our bad luck.

"It just goes to show that situations can change very quickly. Ultimately as we now approach the end of the championship, the mathematics will speak for themselves and I'm certain that both drivers will do everything possible to achieve the best result for the team."

Vettel himself is also refusing to give up on the drivers' title although he admits his hopes are slim.

"My chances? They are how they are, but as long as I have a tiny chance," said Vettel. "We have two races to go and we saw in Korea how quickly things can change. Let's wait to see what Abu Dhabi brings." »

Source: ESPNf1.com
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:19:18 AM by Wats-on »

You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Scott

Re: Horner promises driver equality
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
At this rate, RBR could miss out on the Constructors AND the Drivers Championships.  Horner (really the mouth of Dieter or Marko) is going to be laughed out of the paddock if that happens.  What the team need right now is to focus on their best chance at the titles.  If they allow the drivers to fight among themselves, they seriously stand to lose the constructors title, regardless of how the drivers turns out. 

Massa pulling up close behind Ferd while the two RBR's duke it out and crash will end the season hopes for both titles.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »

Sorry guys I'm not in favour of team orders at all.  Now if one driver is clearly not able to win the championship himself, and they all know when that is, then and only then should he give way to his teamate. I seem to remember a lot of moaning when it was perceived that Red Bull was not being fair to Webber and, according to Mark, were treating him as a number 2, now people are openly asking for Mark to be given number 1 status - double standards I reckon.
As for the team losing the constructors title I think if that happens it's an unfortunate side effect of allowing your drivers to really race each other. I certainly prefer true racing to orchestrated results and if the man with the money behind Red Bull is prepared to let them slug it out surely us spectators are the real winners, so where's the beef.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
John,

I understand your point of view, but from a team-point-of-view you should be able to think in favour of your team. And what is better: to miss a championship because you do not want to favour one driver over another, or to support the one that is closest to the championship and let the other driver support him?

From a team-point-of-view, I would say the latter. Because a number '1' on your cars is always better then a number '3'. Besides, Horner suggest (imo) that he rather won't be champion (with Webber) if Vettel can't be the number '1' next year.

So, I think - due to all that has happened last year - that Horner thinks: "Vettel for champion or no champion at all". This way, they hand over the championship to Alonso. No way that Vettel can be champion this year, Webber can (but he needs support of his team).

Again: I understand your way of thinking and I agree, but also I don't understand the team at this point...
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
Thats virtually my opinion too John, I'd sooner Mark was WDC but let'em slug it out.

Sorry guys I'm not in favour of team orders at all.  Now if one driver is clearly not able to win the championship himself, and they all know when that is, then and only then should he give way to his teamate. I seem to remember a lot of moaning when it was perceived that Red Bull was not being fair to Webber and, according to Mark, were treating him as a number 2, now people are openly asking for Mark to be given number 1 status - double standards I reckon.
As for the team losing the constructors title I think if that happens it's an unfortunate side effect of allowing your drivers to really race each other. I certainly prefer true racing to orchestrated results and if the man with the money behind Red Bull is prepared to let them slug it out surely us spectators are the real winners, so where's the beef.

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »
I don't like team orders either, but after Germany I would hate for Alonso to win under any circumstances. The bottom line is, for Vettel to win Ferd must finish out of the points. Given Ferrari's reliability over the last half of the season that seems unlikely. On the other hand, if Mark wins the last 2 races, certainly possible, he is champion and it doesn't matter what Ferd does. If I'm a team owner that says to me, Vettel has some slow pit stops the rest of the year. I would rather see Mark win with team orders than Alonso.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
Team orders in the middle of a race to have someone pull aside I am completely against, however team strategy favouring one driver who has a good chance to win the championship vs the other driver who needs a miracle to win I am for.  What I mean by this is that everything is done to get Mark ahead in Q (a bit less fuel than Vettel in Q3 for example) and then bringing Mark in for tires at a time when he can either fly without traffic, or take advantage of a particular compound, while making sure Vettel is brought in so he doesn't interfere with Mark's race.

If, kind of like Lonny said, Vettel is in first and Webber in second, and they lose a wheel nut while changing Vettel's tire, then that would be ok for me.  Webber and Vettel do not fight well on track, so letting them duke it out is foolish.  If they fought clean, like Button and Hamilton do (or have), then I would reconsider.

It might all be moot after Brasil anyhow. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »

I have to agree with you there, and if Mark is clearly the only one able to be champ after Brazil, I'm sure Seb and all the team will fall into line behind him.

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:20:18 AM »

I have to agree with you there, and if Mark is clearly the only one able to be champ after Brazil, I'm sure Seb and all the team will fall into line behind him.

Although that might be too late for both Webber and the team...  :crazy:

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
Team orders in the middle of a race to have someone pull aside I am completely against, ...............If, kind of like Lonny said, Vettel is in first and Webber in second, and they lose a wheel nut while changing Vettel's tire, then that would be ok for me. 

Either way the team is manipulating the result, the only difference is that one of those methods takes the fans for complete fools.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
I don't like team orders either, but after Germany I would hate for Alonso to win under any circumstances. The bottom line is, for Vettel to win Ferd must finish out of the points. Given Ferrari's reliability over the last half of the season that seems unlikely. On the other hand, if Mark wins the last 2 races, certainly possible, he is champion and it doesn't matter what Ferd does. If I'm a team owner that says to me, Vettel has some slow pit stops the rest of the year. I would rather see Mark win with team orders than Alonso.

Lonny

In terms of reliability, I believe that Alonso's engines will have the most distance on them.  It wouldn't be that unlikely for him to suffer a fate like Vettel did at Korea.

I'd hate for the climax of a fantastic season to be decided by a blown engine... however, we're at this point in part because of blown engines earlier in the season.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

In terms of reliability, I believe that Alonso's engines will have the most distance on them.  It wouldn't be that unlikely for him to suffer a fate like Vettel did at Korea.

I'd hate for the climax of a fantastic season to be decided by a blown engine... however, we're at this point in part because of blown engines earlier in the season.

Yeah you're right Jeri, we are only discussing the topic in this tread because a blown engine in Korea had a big impact on the standings, as Murray and countless others are fond of saying, "to finish first; first you must finish". Motor racing is a hard game on machinery, bring on the battle. :yahoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle