collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel in Brazil post race interview - no class  (Read 3245 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Vettel in Brazil post race interview - no class
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
Yeah but it wouldn't have been true, at the end Mark fell back because he had used up fuel chasing Seb in the mid part of the race. Mark was warned several times by his team that his car was overheating yet he chose to keep trying to close on Vettel.

I'm not sure where you found that out.  I tried to listen to all the broadcasted radio transmissions, and have hunted the internet looking for quotes about Mark being short on fuel.  His car was running hot almost the entire race, so that isn't news. 

About 6 laps from the finish Mark got a radio message from the team to say he was now free to increase pace as Alonso was starting to get close. The BBC commentary then went on to agree that Mark's engineer had just indicated he could ignore fuel management mode and manage the gap to Alonso. The BBC also threw in for good measure that all the cars start with less fuel than it takes to complete a GP at top speed.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
About 6 laps from the finish Mark got a radio message from the team to say he was now free to increase pace as Alonso was starting to get close. The BBC commentary then went on to agree that Mark's engineer had just indicated he could ignore fuel management mode and manage the gap to Alonso. The BBC also threw in for good measure that all the cars start with less fuel than it takes to complete a GP at top speed.

I understood that to mean he could ignore the engine temperatures and dial it up so Alonso could not catch up.  I must have missed the BBC commentary about fuel management.  But anyhow, that's their guess, which is not better than yours or mine.  I haven't found anywhere in RBR or Webber quotes that fuel was ever an issue for Mark.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:25:43 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:59:45 PM »
Vettel is just like his hero Schumacher in that he is not a team player and never will be. He does everything for Vettel, not Red Bull, or that matter his higher points teammate.

Webber has the better chance to win the WDC so he should be given preferance over Seb but Horner is being so careful not to let anyone say he is using team orders he has let the pendulum swing too far the other way.

I agree with Canada Darrel that Vettel has no class but I can be found on this site saying the same about Schumacher as well and they are cut from the same cloth.

Yes, I understand the racers mentality and win at all cost attitude but you are still a team member and you did not get where you are alone.

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
I agree Willy.....cut from the same cloth......yes, you are a team member but if you don't want to win your not an F1 driver.  :P
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Ian

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »
Come on people, I'm not a Vettel fan but listen to the first part of what Vettel said about Ferrari smoke......." We would'nt wish anything bad on him(Fernando)"

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
In that case....I wouldn't want my neighbour to die a horrible painful death because he lets his dog bark all day but I wouldn't mind seeing the ambulance pull up next door!  >:D :tease:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »
Darrell, remind me never to upset you,  :tease:  :DD

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »

I understood that to mean he could ignore the engine temperatures and dial it up so Alonso could not catch up.  I must have missed the BBC commentary about fuel management.

I guess if you listen to the BBC often, you might have become immune to Martin Brundle explaining that the cars don't start with enough petrol to complete the race at top speed for the whole distance.  He brings it up every single race, usually in conjunction with a radio message about changing fuel settings.

It's a tough job, being a commentator like that.  You need to explain what's going on to anyone who's new, but you don't want to bore your long time fans either.  Personally, I'm a fan of Brundle.

And if Vettel is getting ahead of Mark while carrying more fuel... then he really is the better driver.  Otherwise, if Mark's engineer can't figure out fuel consumption... well, even my Ford Fusion tells me how long before I run out of gas...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »
Like Rom, I don't believe that there will be any circumstance that Vettel will move over for Webber unless forced to (i.e. they blow his pit stop).  Vettel is a selfish racer, and not a team player

I'm beginning to believe that, like Williams, Red Bull does not care about the driver's championship. They might like Vettel to win it, but not enough to take an active role in securing it. Also, they may be waiting for the last possible moment to decide. If Alonso somehow gets knocked back and is not in 3rd as they approach the finish, and Vettel is leading Webber, Vettel wins the championship on tie breakers. If Alonso lies 3rd then only Webber can win, and only by winning.  :crazy: I Think.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:32 AM »
It was only the second time I have listened to the BBC feed in years, so no, I'm not immune...however if Brundle said that, and he is correct, then I guess all the cars were struggling with their fuel management to finish the race.

Look, my point was simply that nobody at RBR said anything about a fuel issue, either in the race or post race.  Had it actually been an issue, surely someone would have used it as an excuse post race for why Mark couldn't catch Vettel.  They didn't. 

John was a bit harsh in his criticism of Webber in my opinion, and I was simply defending that. 
 :-*:-*

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:07 AM »
My point is that I think Webber used extra fuel whilst trying to chase down Vettel in the first half of the race which was fine whilst they had a big gap to the rest of the field. However the safety car threw a spanner in the works and Alonso was given a chance to close on Mark, where as Seb was able to pull a big gap in front. The engine temperature may have caused Mark to slow, but he had not backed off earlier in the race when he had a comfortable gap to third and he carried the problem from quite early on. Because Red Bull has won the constructors title the whole focus of their post race press undersandably has been about that, a small issue like fuel strategy especially as it did not change the result is unlikely to come up. I may appear to be hard on Mark but in my opinion he took an unecessary risk trying to match Seb's pace on the day.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:52:53 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
You're right - he took a risk - but I would say that it was Vettel and the team that created the situation where he felt he must take such a risk.  Necessary for him, but perhaps not others.   ;) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle