collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 138
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16161 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12991 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Chevy to Return to IRL?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline cosworth151

Chevy to Return to IRL?
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
Stories are making the rounds that Chevy will return as an IRL engine builder in 2012. Chevy's last IRL effort was a Chevy-badged Ford-Cosworth V8 in 2005. Prior to that, it provided an Ilmor based unit.

An official announcement is expected Friday, 12 November.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Chevy to Return to IRL?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
Government sponsored racing.

Yay  ;)

Honestly though... if the government is going to own a car company, they could do worse than sponsor homegrown racing. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
GM is expected to pay back all the government money, and come out from under their control by emerging from bankruptcy with a new stock offering in the very near future. Though I disagree with some of the actions they've taken, they seem to have managed a near miraculous recovery. They haven't been gloating and paying bonuses like the Wall Street boys. If only Chrysler/Fiat were doing as well. Let's hope this time GM remembers they are more successful with car guys in charge and not bean counters.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

I agree with you there lonny, GM was basically a sound company, along with a lot of other global carmakers, who got caught out by a world shortage of orders for vehicles when the credit crunch bit. Most big producers are now pulling out of the mire and hopefully have learned the lesson not to overproduce cars no one wants.

However Chrysler is a different ball game altogether if Merc couldn't drag them into the 21st century, with the money and expertise they sank into them, what's the chance of Fiat doing? I know Fiat claims it gives them a readymade dealer infastructure in the US, but is the distribution & dealer network able to sell current Chrysler product let alone breakthrough with Fiat models in the States?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
It's official. Chevy will return to the IRL in 2012 with a Chevy-badged Illmor engine. Chevy will also supply an aero package. At the press conference, Randy Bernard acknowledged that Roger Penske made the call to GM that got the ball rolling. Derek Bell asked Penske, "When are you going to call Ford?"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:05:34 AM »

However Chrysler is a different ball game altogether if Merc couldn't drag them into the 21st century, with the money and expertise they sank into them, what's the chance of Fiat doing? I know Fiat claims it gives them a readymade dealer infastructure in the US, but is the distribution & dealer network able to sell current Chrysler product let alone breakthrough with Fiat models in the States?

I had a Fiat I was pretty fond of years ago, and I like the looks of some of the Fiat and Alfa models I see available in Europe. I have hopes.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
As long as Fiat doesn't 'dumb down' their lineup like VW and Ford, America is hungry for European cars.  Fiat could do well.  And incidentally, Chrysler is about the only American  carmaker to have a foothold in Europe (Ford Europe is a German carmaker).  Their minivans are everywhere, while I spot a GM product once a month or so (and I suspect these originated in America and were imported by someone on contract here). 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

Chrysler pulled out of it's European subsiduaries in the early eighties and has since set up a dealer network in Europe solely as an importer, Ford and GM have been using their own Europe brand networks to market American product so there has not been the push required to make the US models big sellers.

I'm not sure if Opel/Vauxhall, big in the German and British markets is still under GM control after the big slump, if not maybe GM in the US will set out it's stall again Chrysler style with a small dealer network in Europe for American models. I know both the German and British governments have given assistance to what was GM Europe, but I'm not sure if that bail out money was given in exchange for the equity in the companies. The Opel/Vauxhall marques continue to have models in the ranks of the best seller lists alongside Ford.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
Isn't that strange that if Chrysler is simply an importer, they have made much more impact than manufacturers with established networks?  I often wonder if Chrysler didn't make out better than Daimler on their failed partnership (at the time you could pick up just about any Chrysler product you'd like at a Mercedes dealership).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »
Sorry I think I made a bloomer in my last post about Chrysler subsiduaries, after leaving Britain & France in the 80's they started manufacture of Voyager models in 1991 at the Eurostar plant near Graz, Austria. Magna Steyer took over the plant in 2002 and production of Voyagers ended there in 2007.

I think the reasons why Chrysler have done better than GM and Ford with American product in Europe is twofold, (1) because they have made the effort to build any modifications required for the market, (2) the dealer network stands or falls by it's sale of core product, in Chrysler's case this is just US product, for GM & Ford the dealers will naturally concentrate on the mainstream European brands at the expense of the US imports.

Ford have a particularly difficult time in establishing a separate dealer network as the name gets in the way, but I must say it's suprising that GM never set up a stand alone network for some of their main US brands.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:27:07 PM by John S »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
GM does still own Opel/Vauxhall. They were going to be sold, but GM canceled the sale at the last minute. they have been pushing the Chevy brand in Europe, but they are mostly re-badged Daewoos.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle