collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 551
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: WDC  (Read 2315 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

WDC
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:53:58 AM »
Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has spelled out his team’s policy ahead of the season finale. Red Bull boss: No driver favouritism, I don’t care if we lose (James Allen)

“Let the two drivers race and what will be will be. if Alonso wins we will have been unlucky. I predict a Hollywood ending. Worst case scenario we don’t become champion? We’ll do it next year. But our philosophy stays the same because this is sport and it must remain sport. We don’t manipulate things like Ferrari do.”

As I have said elsewhere, they don't really care if Mark wins or not. Can't help feeling if the spots were reversed they would be singing a different tune.

Lonny

Lonny

Offline Scott

Re: WDC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:13 AM »
What a croc!  He just gave Vettel the key to make Webber's career one of a WDC or not.   :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
Yeah, I also feel it would be a different story if Seb was the Red Bull in front.  Will Sunday's race be Webber's last in F1?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Come on guys do you really think so little of Seb that you can even contemplate him not doing the right thing if he can't win the WDC and Mark can?  :-[

Dietrich and his company are a hugely successful marketing operation and have always done unusual things contary to normal wisdom, this is about getting the biggest coverage in the worlds press, hence the pop at Ferrari, to keep everyone guessing until the race. He is quite right to say that there should be no team orders, they are against the rules so how can the pit lane or anyone else critisise his statement.

However if there are no team orders that also means they can't tell Seb not to allow Mark through if he chooses. This is a no brainer being milked for every newspaper line or second of airtime, in my humble opinion.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:18:36 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline littledave

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
I agree with many, if the drivers were switched, Red Bull would be singing a very diffrenet tune. However we are not in that situation so we will never know!

I think it's right that the team stick to it's stance of not supporting one driver and Vettell know what he needs to do should he need to do it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »
I agree about RBR and Vettel. If Seb were leading Mark, they would be going all out for him. I also wonder what they would be saying if they hadn't already locked up the Constructors Championship.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »
Come on guys do you really think so little of Seb that you can even contemplate him not doing the right thing if he can't win the WDC and Mark can?  :-[

Dietrich and his company are a hugely successful marketing operation and have always done unusual things contary to normal wisdom, this is about getting the biggest coverage in the worlds press, hence the pop at Ferrari, to keep everyone guessing until the race. He is quite right to say that there should be no team orders, they are against the rules so how can the pit lane or anyone else critisise his statement.

However if there are no team orders that also means they can't tell Seb not to allow Mark through if he chooses. This is a no brainer being milked for every newspaper line or second of airtime, in my humble opinion.

:good:

Agreed.

Given what Mark says doesn't match up with what he does.  ("Pretty Good for a Number 2 driver! / Where do I sign that contract?")  I suspect there is a more fascinating story going on behind the scenes.

It is putting the Red Bull name out there, which is the entire point of the team... in fact, I wonder if it makes a difference if they win or lose.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Cynical me thinks that Herr Mateschitz is pulling the wool over our eyes...similar to the way he does to consumers by charging $4.00 for a small can of sugary water......he HAS to be a P.T. Barnum fan.  ::)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

David

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »
Who else thinks that if the Red Bull tables were turned and Vettel was the driver needing back up to clinch the WDC that Webber would get the command???

I personally think DM comments are a load of s**t. F1 is a sport, this much I agree with DM, but it’s a team sport and if you want to win then you must play as a team. I'm not saying that manipulating race results like the Ferrari fiasco in Germany is correct and it should be no means as blatant as this. The way that was done was wrong and even me a Ferrari fan can admit I was embarrassed by the whole thing washed out. However I don’t believe there is anything wrong with a team member knowing what they have to do for the team to get the desired results. Team orders in principle are not illegal, manipulating race results by ordering drivers to switch places during the race is. If Red Bull don’t back up Webber then Alonso will be in a much stronger position.

Alonso for WDC  :yahoo: (I’d be happy to see Mark get a crack too but  ;) )

Offline greener_09

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
As much as i despise Vettel i cant help but think that he'll do the right thing if on the last lap hes in the lead with Webber right behind him.Surely he knows that by taking the win and costing Webber the WDC he will do imrepairable damage to his reputation with the fans and other drivers.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
Not sure how much Seb gets out on the net - or his behaviour should perhaps have already changed?  I think the guy is surrounded by 'Yes' men and hasn't a clue that he's not the most loved, best driver in the world.   :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Cam

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
hence the pop at Ferrari

Any chance to make Ferrari look bad, and lets face it thats what most discussion about team orders really is, and to get some airtime will be taken by Mr Mateschitz.

It is putting the Red Bull name out there, which is the entire point of the team... in fact, I wonder if it makes a difference if they win or lose.

Spot on. 

I think that Red Bull were not expecting Webber to be competitive with Vettel.  I think they  thought they had the type of situation Schumi had at Ferrari, always choosing a teammate who was quick enough to be useful as a technical reference and a tail gunner but never quite going to be a threat.  Webber didnt read the script however.

I think Red Bull will care deeply if neither of their drivers wins, but either one of them winning is a great story.

We are all working through the scenarios now and the one that comes up most is Vettel 1st, Webber 2nd, Alonso 3rd will give Alonso the WDC, so will Vettel move over (of his own accord!) for Webber?  My money says he probably will.  Heres a thought however (raised by Autosport), lets say Vettel lets Webber through, and then Alonso is suddenly out of the race, then if Vettel gets ahead again he wins the WDC.  I can imagine them coming to an agreement "OK, if Alonso is in third I will let you through but if he goes out or falls back you have to let me through again"  Or do they just leave it to the last corner.

Ive never particularly warmed to any of these three so dont have a huge preference, but living in Aus I would prefer Webber to win, next Alonso and last Vettel.  Take a couple of DNFs away (they weren't all his fault were they?) and Vettel would have wrapped it up long ago.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle