collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 550
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hulkenberg dropped for 2011  (Read 3050 times)

Williamsfan

Hulkenberg dropped for 2011
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »
Well, I guess I am not so surprised after Sir Frank slagged him off pretty badly yesterday ('I can't offer a lot of good words about him') but it seems pretty rubbish to me to toss aside a driver with clearly so much potential as Nico possesses.  We've stuck with him for several years but I guess money has done the talking?  Anyway, full story from Autosport:

Nico Hulkenberg will not race for Williams in Formula 1 next season.

The 23-year-old German, who clinched his maiden pole position in Brazil a week ago - the team's first in five years, announced this morning that he will leave the team.

"I heavily regret that," Hulkenberg said in a statement. "I would have been happy to stay with Williams.

"I want to thank the team for a great time and I wish Williams all the best for the future."

Hulkenberg's manager, Willi Weber, says he is in discussions with other F1 teams and is sure that Hulkenberg will have a drive next season.

"I am negotiating with other teams," Weber said. "Nico will have his seat in F1 in 2011."

Offline Dare

Re: Hulkenberg dropped for 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
money talks and good drivers walk

Here's to Sir Frank  :tease:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
Wow - I would have dropped Rubens before Hulk.  Unless Rubens is driving for free.

Weber probably went in and demanded something after the Pole Position and Frank told them to take a walk.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
I can only imagine that is true Scott.  The other thing is I wonder if Williams want to hang onto Rubens for next year to use his 'technical expertise' with the switch to Pirelli tyres and all the new things that come in.  Very disappointing though.  Rubens is very much the past whilst Nico is going to be big, I'm sure of it.

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Wow - I would have dropped Rubens before Hulk.

Well, you have to consider the following:

Williams looses a couple of sponsors, which means a great amout of money. Hülkenberg had just been a year around in F1, so you can't expect him to develop a car as well as could be done by an experienced driver. Like Barrichello. I agree Rubens isn't the quickest driver around in the field, but he is not around for 19 (!!) years for being just a bad driver!

So a loss of money can be solved in two ways: find a pay-driver (like Maldonado) or get as many points as you can get.

I suppose that sir Frank is trying both at the same time: getting the points and develop the car in Barrichello, and get a pay-driver in Maldonado. Too bad for Hülkenberg, that is.

So although it is a pitty voor Nico, I can fully understand the dilemma of Frank and Patrick (Head). It is only sad that the once so unbeatable team now needs pay-drivers to survive... Looks a bit like Brabham and Lotus in their last days. :(
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »

I think if the rumours of Williams wanting Hulk to sign a 5 year contract are true then there is a touch more to this. If Williams were planning to farm Nico out for next year, the first of his 5 years and maybe the year after, he could end up in the Jenson at Benetton/Renault situation; namely a Williams driver who might never get to drive in a Williams car again?

I'm thinking that his management didn't want him to sign a long contract and end up in tail end cars when they might get him a ride there anyway. Seems funny if Frank, who was singing his praises 2 weeks ago, has changed his opinion after just this one last race.  :confused:

I hope he stays on the grid, but as we all know money can trump ability for most teams.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
It's a shame, but money talks. With the loss of sponsorships, Williams will need a pay driver next year.

Besides, I gave up trying to figure out Sir Frank's driver choices a long time ago!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
I have not heard the rumours of Nico being loaned out, only the ones of Maldonado being loaned to HRT if he joined.  Interesting though! 

You definitely cannot predict who Sir Frank will go for.  I wonder if there is someone else other than Maldonado and his Venezuelan money signing for Williams (even if Adam Parr has been there in the last month on business)?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
I have not heard the rumours of Nico being loaned out, only the ones of Maldonado being loaned to HRT if he joined.  Interesting though! 

You definitely cannot predict who Sir Frank will go for.  I wonder if there is someone else other than Maldonado and his Venezuelan money signing for Williams (even if Adam Parr has been there in the last month on business)?

I read that Hulk was offered a multi-year deal but he would have been driving for HRT in 2011? If true could you blame him for not taking it? Would it have kept him in F1 as Karun Chandook had only a few drives this year but is still attched to the team.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »

I read that Hulk was offered a multi-year deal but he would have been driving for HRT in 2011? If true could you blame him for not taking it? Would it have kept him in F1 as Karun Chandook had only a few drives this year but is still attched to the team.

The funny thing is... HRT will be taking a step forward next season.  Can Williams say the same thing?  Getting in on the 'ground floor' of a developing team can work wonders for you career.  Just ask Button or Vettel!

Williamsfan

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »
They'll be taking a step forward using Williams technology...

Anyway, not convinced that they will move too far forward, they seem the weakest of the new teams and I am surprised they are even going to be around next season. 

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
Didn't Button first drive for Beneton?they were a 2 time
WC team that had fallen on hard times.

And Vettel had the TR that was almost a copy of sister
team Red Bull.TR took a step backwards when they had to'design their own car
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Williamsfan

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
Button first drove for Williams before being 'loaned' to Benetton, but the situation is still the same as you wrote Dare.

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »
Button first drove for Williams before being 'loaned' to Benetton, but the situation is still the same as you wrote Dare.

Refresh my memory on the Williams-Honda situation ,Williamsfan

Didn't Button have to pay Frank many million dollars to break
his contract?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
Didn't Button first drive for Beneton?they were a 2 time
WC team that had fallen on hard times.

And Vettel had the TR that was almost a copy of sister
team Red Bull.TR took a step backwards when they had to'design their own car

Button's years at Honda were certainly 'bottom'.

And anyone who expected Vettel to win in a Toro Rosso... even as a copy of the RBR, that wasn't exactly a winning design itself.

And I'm not suggesting HRT will be better than Williams, just that it might be a more rewarding experience for a developing driver.  Hamilton and Villeneuve are the only champions I can name who didn't have to go through a growth process to win championship.  Almost everyone else had start at the bottom.  (And Hamilton managed to create a unique opportunity for himself, while Villeneuve arguably had proven himself in an IndyCar much stronger than we see today.)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle