collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 558
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber raced the last 4 races with a fractured shoulder.  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Scott

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: Webber raced the last 4 races with a fractured shoulder.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Full marks to Mark then(no pun intended)no wonder I thought his form had fallen off, it must have still been very painful and you don't need that with those G forces.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »
He has so definitely got to give up the biking!!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »

Seems like Mark was at a disadvantage in the last few races, but hold on a mimute there is definetly something a little odd in all this. Mark claims he kept the information of his injury from the team - What?????? If this is true he may well find himself up before the FIA for a disciplinary hearing, failing to notifying the relevant authourities and not getting clearance to race when injured is against the rules of his super licence surely.  :confused:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
When I read the story on F1.com it said the only 2 that knew about it were his physio and the FIA doctor.... surely that would mean he's ok with the FIA, I'm just not so sure the team would be all that happy.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
I agree with WF: Dude, give up the bikes!

Simple broken shoulders (a single break of the clavicle) are treated with a figure 8 strap that goes around the shoulders and across the back. I can see how it could be hidden.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Well, publicly Horner is 'disappointed' so I am sure in private he is furious.  Not smart of Mark to do keep it a secret and then announce it in a book though.

From autosport:

Horner disappointed at Webber secrecy   

By Jonathan Noble   Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 09:05 GMT

Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner has expressed his disappointment at the failure of Mark Webber to inform the team about the shoulder injury he picked up before the Japanese Grand Prix.

News about Webber fracturing his shoulder emerged this week following publication of a new book - Mark Webber: Up Front - which the Australian has published in Australia.

In the book, Webber reveals that he crashed into a friend as they went out cycling on the Sunday prior to the Suzuka event. It was the first time Webber had been back on a mountain bike since he broke his leg in Tasmania at the end of 2008.

Webber kept the shoulder injury, which required pain-killing injections, secret from his team at the time - and did not even inform them once the campaign had finished.

That course of action has left Horner far from impressed - even though the team principal does not think the injury led to any drop in form from Webber.

"I didn't even know about the book, let alone the shoulder," Horner was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph. "It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it."

Horner also suggested that the cycling incident may point to the fact that Webber would be better off keeping clear of mountain biking while he is still racing.

"Our drivers have an obligation to make sure they are fit," he said. "It seems bikes don't agree with Mark so maybe it would be better if he stayed away from them."

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Oops, slapped wrist for Mark.  :nono:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:51:30 AM »
Isn't it a little stupid to indulge in a high risk sport during the season? I know drivers all think they are invincible but come on. And not informing the team could be grounds for dismissal. Not the brightest moment in his career. :nono:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline romephius

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:45 AM »
Not telling is one thing... but don't for 1 second kid yourselves... multiple drivers take part in risky activities during the season, Jenson with his triathlon, Kimi a couple years ago with his snow mobile race and those are the couple I remember.... Mark isn't the only one to take a risk, he got bitten by it, didn't tell and that's his only wrong doing... not telling the team about it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
I remember a few years ago when JPM missed a race or two from injuries he got playing tennis.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »
after being seriously injures once before on bikes I wonder
if RB had a clause in his contract forbidding in season biking?

This one may come bak to bite him :-*
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
I remember a few years ago when JPM missed a race or two from injuries he got playing tennis.

The rumor at the time, as I recall, was that he actually got hurt on a motorcycle or something similar and reported it as a "tennis" injury because he was in violation of some clause in his contract. Maybe someone remembers the details?

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
I think Montoya's accident was caused through an incident on a quad bike, but they did make out it was tennis related due to his contract. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
I doubt Webber's contract had anything about not riding bikes in it - most drivers train on bikes after all.  I would guess that he didn't tell the team because he didn't want them to pull him out of the car with 4 races remaining and him having the lead at the time.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle