collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 141
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So team orders are now OK!! And other changes.  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Andy B

So team orders are now OK!! And other changes.
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »
After all the controversey over team orders they have cleared it all up and dumped the rule, historically there have always been team orders so once again it will all be transparent. :crazy:
There are other changes including the new engine which has also been agreed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9275796.stm

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: So team orders are now OK!! And other changes.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »

So it's a return to only penalising team orders if and when it suits the FIA to invoke the bringing the sport into disrepute rule.  ::) 

Just out of interest, does anyone know how a charge of bringing the sport into disrepute can be laid?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »
Just out of interest, does anyone know how a charge of bringing the sport into disrepute can be laid?
Anyway they like it - no judge would ever allow such a vague law to stay on the books in any country...only the FIA.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:07:24 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »
Rather than force teams to use 'green engines', just put a limit on how much gasoline a car can use for the weekend.  The efficient engines will follow very quickly... who knows, a V8 might be more efficient than a turbo 4...but let the engineers decide, not the FIA.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »
Back in the 80's (I think) the WEC ran a fuel rule, as well as CART. We had the spectacle of 1 or 2 or even 3 cars running out of fuel on the last couple of laps. While it was mildly interesting to see whose computer got it right, it wasn't really racing when the cars could only run at 90 to 95% of their potential. Oddly, Road and Track predicted the ultimate solution would be a large displacement, low revving engine, running a low boost turbo. Mercedes took that approach with their Silver Arrows Sauber chassised cars and indeed won the WEC. Welcome to the F1 Mobil economy run.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »

Back in the previous turbo era in F1 we had the uncertainty of just who could manage their fuel well enough to finish the race, caused more by miscalculations over fuel flows whilst using the boost on the turbos. Whilst I'm not sure the teams will get into that situation again there have already been suggestions this year that feams are chancing their arms by under fuelling to try to get advantage earlier in the race, fuel equals weight after all.
Surely any engine builder who can acheive better economy without loss of speed is destined to come out on top, unless of course teams using rival engines can outfox them with race tactics. I think we shall have to wait and see if the new moveable rear wing and the return of KERS makes any difference with overtaking, without the ability to pass more easily track position will still be a dominant factor.
Love or loathe them the new engines will certainly bring a much bigger than usual uncertainty to the 2013 season.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
Fixed races with chain saw engines.  :sick:

Looks like the end of any WRC hopes for Webber. I wonder what that Brazilian prosecutor will do if they try to fix the race at Interlagos.

I all but lost interest in F1 during the previous outbreak of turbo Tinkertoys.
Since the IRL won't have engines either, I guess I'll just watch USAC Silver Crown.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
At least the FIA admits there's no point in having rules that can't really be enforced.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
Oh boy, 1-2 photo finishes when the opportunity to the teams arises with #2 driver slowing to let #1 Golden Boy pass in the final corner? Yeeehaw, that's racin' boy. Heheh, oh well, if it makes it easier for GG picks then there may be a silver lining eh?  :good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
I hope Team Orders do not always end up with Team Obedience.

I liked the old rule simply because I think it made F1 more agreeable to the masses, but with mandated two car teams, it is a bit hard to enforce, even though a number of teams made fools of themselves by not even trying to be subtle. 

I still hope that some of the teams (for example Mclaren, as they always have) will continue to let the racers race.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
I must say I lost a lot of respect for Ferd at the German GP. If he's as good as he claims, he should have passed Felipe on his own. I doubt Massa will ever be the same. If it were me and the opportunity presented, I would nudge Ferd out into the boonies somewhere and say I thought he would respect me and give a team mate enough room.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline judy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »
I am not surprise at all with the decision to bring back team orders, with the ex-Ferrari president being the FIA president. I have expected absurd rules to be implemented to please some team bosses, the day the ex-Ferrari team boss was voted as the FIA president. Congratulations to the FIA president for bringing the F1 to move one decade backwards, to the bygone era, when the team bosses can manipulate the race results.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle