collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 617
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Brundle elbows Legard out of BBC commentary box  (Read 3868 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Brundle elbows Legard out of BBC commentary box
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »

Martin has got his way with Legard fired and Coulthard installed,
according to this article from crash.net. Not sure I can stand Couthard for the whole race distance, Jonathan was not the best but surely we need a sport commentator not a Red Bull apologist. Luckily we can hear Radio Five Live commentary with the FOM images on the digital platform and avoid both the old boys predjudices.

The BBC is set to confirm that Jonathan Legard will no longer form part of its F1 commentary team next year, and that he is to be replaced alongside Martin Brundle by David Coulthard.

We have learned from a source close to Legard that the former Radio 5 Live man's contract will not be renewed into 2011, following two seasons in the F1 commentary box during which the 49-year-old failed to hit it off with Brundle and committed a number of well-publicised gaffes.

Crash.net understands that Brundle – a favourite both amongst F1 fans and inside the corporation – has successfully persuaded the BBC to replace Legard with his fellow former grand prix ace Coulthard, a driver who triumphed 13 times in the top flight between 1995 and 2003. The Scot will dovetail his new commentating duties with his ongoing punditry role alongside ex-team owner Eddie Jordan and the Beeb's anchorman Jake Humphrey.

Whilst a BBC spokesman told us that 'we're still looking at our line-up for next year's F1 coverage', Crash.net has been reliably informed that Legard's replacement by Coulthard is a done-deal, with the lack of chemistry and personality clash with Brundle a key factor in the decision. MotoGP commentator Charlie Cox had previously been mooted as the most likely candidate to take over the reins.

Crash.net,Today.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:28:36 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

Re: Brundle elbows Legard out of BBC commentary box
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
I'm not surprised by this but Coultard in the box? :fool:
I thought that there are some good commentators out there, Ben Edwards for one.
I am surprised that the BBC lets this leak rather than have it on there own F1 site which is void of all news on it.
This will make a lot of people happy but then when Murry Walker stepped down that did too and he has become the standard to achieve.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
I won't miss Legard, I thought he started off well enough but he just got grating sadly.  Seemed enthusiastic enough about F1 but just lacked the spark with Brundle, they usually ended up talking about completely different things!  DC might be okay if he takes on Brundle's part and Martin himself takes the lead. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »
DC might be okay if he takes on Brundle's part and Martin himself takes the lead. 

I have to disagree as one of the things I like about Brundle is putting his own version of events against the commentator who ever that is I don't see him as the main commentator or DC come to that.
As the BBC have not made any statements on their web site it has to be speculation until they do. :DntKnw:

David

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
I won't miss Legard either, can't understand why the beeb didn't take on James Allen from ITV in the first place, I quite liked him and Brundle together. I don't think two ex drivers is going to work as a commentary team, I think the enthusiasts point of view rather than the experts will be missed. I just can't see either Martin or DC getting overexcited.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »
I'm pretty content with Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:46 AM »

Lonny

They're OK in a pinch but there's just something about a team of broadcasters and commentators who are actually at the event, not stuck in a booth half way around the world!  :DD :DD :DD
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:02 AM »
I'm lucky I get the BBC commentary for the race but miss the pre-race chat and grid walk and the red button after but cannot have everything. :good:

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:33 AM »
I'm lucky I get the BBC commentary for the race but miss the pre-race chat and grid walk and the red button after but cannot have everything. :good:

Same here, but I am able to download the other stuff you mentioned about an hour after the race. God bless the interwebs!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »

Same here, but I am able to download the other stuff you mentioned about an hour after the race. God bless the interwebs!

Thats interesting would you pm me more details on that?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »

Lonny

I'm with you on that, Lonny. Sadly, Time Worthless Cable doesn't carry Speed Channel here. It sounds strange, but it's far easier to get the BBC coverage on the net here in the States than it is to get Speed's coverage.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:01 AM »
Always sad to see someone lose their job, but I agree that Leggard didn't really feel 'right'.  Too many mistakes.

I'm not eager to hear Coulthard though.  Two drivers just doesn't feel right.

As much as I love Brundle... I don't know if they'll be able to get anyone to partner him.  The colour man really is supposed to be second fiddle.  Who could possibly come in and over shadow Brundle?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »

As much as I love Brundle... I don't know if they'll be able to get anyone to partner him.  The colour man really is supposed to be second fiddle.  Who could possibly come in and over shadow Brundle?

His wife I should think.  ;) :D :DD :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle