collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 141
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Dare

Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:52 PM »
Has anyone tried this and your opinions if you have

I have it installed now and I wonder how effective it is?

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
I use it and the latest version 2 was only just recently released. It gets great reviews from many sources and I have not had any issues. I install it on every clients machine i work on. It surprises me how many people actually still pay for virus protection when something this good is absolutely free.

Cheers
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
thanks Darrell I had been using AVG and when I
switched to Essentials it found 3 threats  AVG missed
on the first scan.Whether it was a actual threat or
a false postive I'm not sure
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

David

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Will this actually replace an off the shelf security package? I recently purchased Kaspersky 2011 which seems to be good and has picked up a few things, but it costs.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
I read the reviews before I installed it Dave and it got top
reviews.Yours is a top rated one too and I had Vibre before and
never had any problems.I'm in the mind sink though if you pay
for it it has to be better

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:34:04 AM »
Will this actually replace an off the shelf security package? I recently purchased Kaspersky 2011 which seems to be good and has picked up a few things, but it costs.

Yes, it will replace a $$$ security package. Lifehacker (btw everyone, Lifehacker is pretty much one of those MUST read daily websites! :) ) has a good writeup on it:

http://lifehacker.com/5714508/microsoft-security-essentials-2-released-still-the-best-darn-antivirus-around

David

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
Might seem like a daft question, but if you were to run this along side another security program would it enhance security or would they conflict with each other?

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »
It is never recommended to run more than one antivirus engine at once. I'd be willing to bet that I hammer on the internet more than your average user and I don't have problems with using just Microsoft Security Essentials along with their own Microsoft Defender.
The things that get most people in trouble, and I do this as a very poorly paying side gig  ;), is spending time on Torrent Sites and other file sharing systems such a Limewire. Using any of these types of sites is like playing russian roulette. Eventually you are going to get a nasty file disguised as "naked Britney" (or whatnot) or getting a cease-and-desist letter from the MPAA or RIAA via your ISP.
The other thing that gets a lot of people is those STUPID emails from your friends. We all have at least one person that sends out a dozen emails a day clogging our inboxes of jokes and links. I request to be taken off their lists and barring that their emails go to the permanent delete bin before I get a chance to even see it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle