collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Scalextric 50 this year  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Neil.P

Scalextric 50 this year
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:06:35 PM »
Just saw on the news that Scalextric is 50 this year. I was well into this when I was a kid. Here's some of the cars I had:

Mini Metro, Silver Porsche 911, Gold Porsche 911, Police Rover SD1, Triumph TR7 (don't laugh), Ford GT40, Ferrari P1 (think thats what it was), Ferrari 288 GTO, a Truck with Trailer and a few others that I swapped body's and pickps with!

Anybody else come over all nostalgic at the mention of Scalextric?

Neil.P

Online cosworth151

Re: Scalextric 50 this year
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:17:48 PM »
Scalextric wasn't that big over here, but slot racing in general was huge in the '60s. When I was in junior high school, we all spent most of our time and money on them. Even a little place like my home town of Lancaster had three commercial slot racing places, each with several tracks. We re-wound and balanced the motors, hand built the frames, the whole deal. My best one had a modified, vaccuum formed Ford GT-40 Mk II body.

There still are a few commercial tracks around. One is about three blocks down from the Indy Speedway. Worth dropping in for a look during the USGP.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
My mates got a bloody great loft and boxes full of scalex and he's in the process of making a 4 lane circuit but he won't say which one it is except that it's pukka and true to the real one, can't wait
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »
My mates got a bloody great loft and boxes full of scalex and he's in the process of making a 4 lane circuit but he won't say which one it is except that it's pukka and true to the real one, can't wait

the old monza with banking
would be nice
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:04:44 PM »
Anybody else come over all nostalgic at the mention of Scalextric?

Certainly do! I remember as a wee lad having a set with F1 cars  from the 60's like the one shown below. Bearing in mind I was born in 1966 my Dad obviously bought this when I was very young indeed. Probably used me as an excuse to go out and buy one - like most Dads!  ::)

From what I gather things have moved on a bit since then with the digital systems available now. I haven't used any of them, are they much different from the original?
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
VERY LATEST RELEASE SET

LANE CHANGE CHALLENGE

Product Category: Sport Digital
Product Code: C1140

Production Details
Scalextric Sport Digital offers the ability to race up to 6 cars on the same lane.
The digital cars can also be individually instructed to change lane by pressing a button on the controller.

Compatibility: Ordinary classic and Sport track is completely compatible with the Sport Digital system and should be used to enlarge a Sport Digital layout.

The digital power base allows the selection of
* 7 race modes,
* lap counting,
* lap timing (1000th of a second),
* individual braking options for each car,
* False start detection with penalty options,
* Power control (Example: When race ends, cut power to cars as they cross the finish line. More options available)
More race mmode options included.

Set Contents:
1 x C2478DW PORSCHE BOXSTER - RED
1 x C2479DW PORSCHE BOXSTER - YELLOW
1 x LANE CHANGE TRACK Left Hand, OUT to IN
1 x LANE CHANGE TRACK Right Hand, OUT to IN
2 x LANE CHANGE SENSOR TRACK
6 x C8205 STANDARD STRAIGHT
8 x C8206 STANDARD CURVE 45 deg
5 x C8207 HALF STRAIGHT
1 x C8295 ELEVATED TRACK
1 x HAND THROTTLE - RED TOP
1 x HAND THROTTLE - GREEN TOP
1 x C7004 DC TRANSFORMER
1 x BORDER/KERB ASSY LEAD-IN - LH
1 x BORDER/KERB ASSY LEAD-IN - RH
4 x BORDER/KERB ASSY R2 CURVE
ACC PACK containing SHORT SUPPORTS, CLIPS and PILLARS
6 x STRAIGHT BARRIER

Track Length: 676cm
Area required: 217cm x 217cm

Note: Non-Sport Digital transformers/power supplies, controllers and cars are not to be used with the Sport Digital powerbase.

they have changed,change lanes,time laps,false starts,etc

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 07:27:17 PM by dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Wizard, according to the Managing Director of Hornby, who was on the news. With the new digital Scalextric you can control more than one Car :o and overtake and do all sorts!

Madness really, I could never control one, let alone two with overtaking :(

Neil.P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle