collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 593
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: First of many 2011 innovations? - Renault front exit exhaust  (Read 7288 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
First of many 2011 innovations? - Renault front exit exhaust
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »

The boys at Enstone have pulled one from the hat but will it be a Hare or a Bunny?
Here's an explanation of just what Renault are trying with their novel front exit exhaust.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/renault-r31-front-exit-exhausts-fee-explained/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: First of many 2011 innovations? - Renault front exit exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
That's pretty cool. Hope it works!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

David

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »
You know I was straight onto the Ferrari web site to see if they had done something similar, but alas their exhaust exit remains a mystery. Renault haven't done this for nothing, could be the double diffuser, F-duct thingy for 2011.

Could you imagine the increase in noise for the driver with the exhausts right there beside him.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
 :DD :DD  Don't kid yerself...it's a mock-up for sure.  Exhaust pointing forwards and going past the rads and fuel cell and coming out against the airflow...what is this, April 1st?   :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
Who Knows? Its a good idea, but at the same time not...

In theory its brilliant! but there are way to many thing to get around

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with it (at least until teams spend millions trying to copy it!)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
And what temperature does carbon fibre melt at?  What about the front tire changers having their hands fried as they change tires?  The blogger himself mentions many of the 'hurdles' Renault will have to get over such as engine mapping, dealing with an exhaust that favours low revs, not 18k. 

I'm no engineer, but to me this smells like a pre-season hoax to get the photog's all interested in the wrong end of the car.  Wasn't it Ferrari or RBR that put fake exhausts on their new car a couple of years back for the same reason?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
:DD :DD  Don't kid yerself...it's a mock-up for sure.  Exhaust pointing forwards and going past the rads and fuel cell and coming out against the airflow...what is this, April 1st?   :DD :DD

I agree with wot e sed!! :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »

Others seem to be taking it seriously, here's a quote from a story on the Autosport website today about the subject. Might not be as crazy as it first appears.

"Although Renault is the only team that is running the exhaust configuration in Valencia, a number of other outfits are believed to already have the concept under development and are set to introduce it before the start of the season."

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
Whilst I kind of agree with Scott and am concerned about overheating sensitive areas of the car, to me Renault are making too much of this for it to be a ruse.  They've talked about it actively and I wonder if a device like this would make testing worthless due to the effects it would have on their aero performance if it had no actual purpose than to be a distraction?

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
I'll wait and see.  I wonder if the exhaust isn't actually exiting the car in front of the diffuser.  Mclaren and Merc seem to have jumped on board, but to me it makes little sense.  Apparently Mclaren have only admitted they have a 'radical' exhaust system, not that it resembles anything Renault have done.  

Not to mention that exhaust pipes are heavy - is it worth it to add a bunch of kg (although it's not a bad place to add it, I guess, low and central)?  It just doesn't make sense from a cooling perspective.  I can't imagine the amount or type of insulation that they would have to put in to protect the body (and driver for that matter - methinks the cockpit would become a much warmer place), and other components from overheating and failing.  The exhaust temperatures are up to 800c!!  The pipes glow red hot.  Normally an F1 engineer wants the exhaust to leave the car as quickly as possible so it doesn't cause damage.  We've all seen exhaust leaks and how much destruction they can cause.

I found this quote on F1Technical.net:

"At peak revs, a formula engine will blast out exhaust gases 95,000 times a minute. To scavenge maximum power the exhaust pipes need to be as short as possible. Unfortunately , to help generate maximum torque and responsiveness at lower revs, longer splender pipes are called for. As F1 regulations don’t permit variable-geometry exhausts, the answer lies in the best possible compromise.
The current preference for tailpipes that emerge upwards through the rear trim at either side of the car has made life easier for exhaust designers.

"F1 exhausts rarely completes more than 1200km since the need to save weight means they have to be designed close to the limit. The thickness of the heat-resistant steel adopted from the aerospace industry varies but is never more than 1 millimeter. But when eventually kills these waste-gas works of art is not vibration or temperatures of 1000 degrees and more, but stress, The different radii of the various pipes ultimately produce fatigue which leads to cracks where the stress is greatest. Not surprisingly, at this high level of performance even the best exhaust are soon exhausted"

I can't see teams sacrificing power and weight distribution for downforce and questionable reliability.

In conclusion, maybe it is a legit system (but I doubt it), however I expect there to be problems in testing or early races, and it will be abandoned.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
In another thread, I mentioned that I couldn't see the exhausts on the new Ferrari F150. I wonder if they are up to something tricky, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
I'll wait and see.  I wonder if the exhaust isn't actually exiting the car in front of the diffuser.  Mclaren and Merc seem to have jumped on board, but to me it makes little sense.  Apparently Mclaren have only admitted they have a 'radical' exhaust system, not that it resembles anything Renault have done. 

Could they possibly have the exhaust go to the rear wing and work like an F-Duct, or would there not be enough flow?

David

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Maybe the heat from the exhaust gases would be so quickly dissipated by the massive airflow round the car that it isn't a major problem.  :DntKnw:
After all they had blown diffusers last year, and the exhausts that exit out of the engine cover would blow hot gases over the rear wing. They did have any problems with either melting or over heating.
If it is a Renault hoax they fair play to them, we're all taking about them and looking at their car, the sponsor's will love that.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »

the Renault R31 was one of only 3 teams to put in over a hundred laps today in Valencia, they posted the 3rd best time for this season cars, so overheating doesn't appear to be a problem for the new exhaust system on their car. I don't think it's a hoax, even the Renault engine people are saying you can hear the difference in the engine note due to the work they've put in to make the front entry exhaust work.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 03:20:58 AM »
Apparently, not only does the exhaust flow add to the volume of air going to the diffuser, the temperature difference can be used as a boundry or barrier to direct the high pressure air at the front of the floor to the diffuser as well. Mercedes doesn't think the temperatures would be a problem.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle