collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 555
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault motivated by defection  (Read 1021 times)

davewilson

Renault motivated by defection
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:10:35 PM »
RENAULT made light of the loss of Fernando Alonso as it unveiled its new R27 car here on Wednesday, saying the double world champion's defection would be motivation for the revamped team.

The French team has made a clean sweep of driver and constructor titles during the past two years, but that was on the back of outstanding performances from Spaniard Alonso.

He has now defected to rivals McClaren-Mercedes, leaving Renault to launch its championship bid with the team of Italian Giancarlo Fisichella and rookie Heikki Kovalainen.

"Double championship success in 2005 and 2006 has earned Renault its status as a major force in Formula One," team president Alain Dassas said at the launch .

Managing director Flavio Briatore insisted that the loss of Alonso would act as motivation for the team.

"Like every year, we start the season hoping to win ... like Ferrari, like McClaren," he said.

"Alonso's departure has motivated the troops. Renault will be battling for the podium at every Grand Prix."

The R27 has a new chassis but will use practically the same engine as the previous year's model.

It contains just 10 per cent new parts compared with more than 95 per cent in previous years. One other change will be the switch to Bridgestone tyres, with Renault having used Michelins the past few seasons.

As the elder statesman in the team, a lot of pressure will be put on Fisichella's shoulders. He will be the third most experienced driver on the grid this season and he is sure he can deliver.

"The team has shown its confidence in me for the new season, and I am determined to repay that in the best way possible - out on track," he said.

"The team knows how to design winning cars capable of fighting for the championship. That means there is a fantastic opportunity for me this year, and I am determined to make the most of it."

Kovalainen is determined to push his new teammate after joining Renault as a test driver in 2002.

"It is a big privilege for a rookie driver to start his career in a race-winning car, and I am focused on doing it justice," he said.

Agence France-Presse

The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle