collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 273
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber Couldn't Fit in Car?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline cosworth151

Webber Couldn't Fit in Car?
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
Did I miss something?

I was just listening to the podcast of this past week's Midweek Motorsports:

http://www.radiolemans.com/

They were discussing that Mark Webber couldn't fit in the new RB7 when they got to Valencia. I can't find any other reference to it.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

Re: Webber Couldn't Fit in Car?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Well Newey does like to make his cockpits very snug so perhaps Webber was a bit too tall (although surely Newey should have known his height, not like he's new to the team?!)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »

I don't think it's a major issue of the tub not being big enough or anthing lke that, it's more about having to adapt the one car they took to the test from Vettel's settings to accomodate Webber's height.  I also don't think that the conversion took all the time he lost, I think the pit crew found other issues with a master cylinder failure they had to sort out. Below there's a piece on ESPNf1 from last Wedneday explaining some of the changeover problem and a snippet from f1paddock.biz talking about the master cylinder.

Mark Webber had to wait until the final hour of the second day of testing before finally getting out onto the track. "I didn't get so long in the car today," he shrugged, "so we'll start the real work tomorrow. There was a bit of a problem with the installation, something with the pedals, so it took a bit longer than we expected.

"It wasn't the smoothest day, but we're back tomorrow. It's great that the guys have got the car here for the first test and I'm looking forward to driving it more."

Sebastian Vettel, who clocked the second fastest time behind Fernando Alonso, enjoyed another good morning in the RB7. "Sebastian pretty much ran to schedule this morning; there were a few minor delays, but nothing significant," Ian Morgan, the team's head of engineering, said. "Unfortunately we lost some time changing drivers this afternoon due to some driver installation issues. Once Mark's testing session got underway, he was able to complete two runs and begin acclimatising to the new car."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd

Mark Webber declared himself satisfied with the initial performance of the Red Bull RB7 following his first representative run in the new car on Thursday.

After a master cylinder failure severely curtailed his running time on Wednesday, the final day went much more smoothly as Webber completed 105 laps and finished fourth fastest.

f1paddock.biz, Feb 3

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
The drivers are fitted to their cars early in the build process, so it's unlikely the car doesn't fit Mark. I think John is right, it was an issue converting from Seb to Mark as they are quite different in size.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle