collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Who's got it and who hasn't?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Andy B

Who's got it and who hasn't?
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
I was under the impression that all teams were using KERS this season but it seems not Lotus declare thay are not so who else is not using KERS? :DntKnw:
I would have thought this is going to hurt Lotus!!

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

Re: Who's got it and who hasn't?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Virgin and HRT aren't using KERS this season and Lotus
isn't at the start,so they may add it later
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »
Virgin and HRT aren't using KERS this season and Lotus
isn't at the start,so they may add it later

I was under the impression it was mandatory.  Are non KERS team required to carry extra ballast to make up for it?  Or are the teams that aren't going to score any points given a bit of a free pass because the sport is supposed to be 'affordable'?

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »
Here's the rule Jeri

KERS units will be optional for all teams, after not being utilised in 2010 following a team agreement banning the devices.[100] Although a proposal by Flybrid to provide mandatory units to the entire grid was not approved, to encourage all teams to run the system the minimum weight of the car will increase from 620 kilograms (1,367 lb) to 640 kilograms (1,411 lb), compensating for the extra weight required
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
I'm also not sure about what types of KERS will be allowed. I've read that only electrical sistems would be allowed, and I've also read that Williams would be allowed to use its mechanical (flywheel) system.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
Here's the rule Jeri

KERS units will be optional for all teams, after not being utilised in 2010 following a team agreement banning the devices.[100] Although a proposal by Flybrid to provide mandatory units to the entire grid was not approved, to encourage all teams to run the system the minimum weight of the car will increase from 620 kilograms (1,367 lb) to 640 kilograms (1,411 lb), compensating for the extra weight required

Yeah you're right Dare, article 4.1 of the technical regulations states -
Minimum weight : The weight of the car must not be less than 640kg at all times during the Event.
So cars without KERS will need to carry ballast if the team have not built in the weight.

On the question of type of KERS, this appears to be up to the teams as article 1.20 simply states -
Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) : A system that is designed to recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car.
The parts of article 5 on KERS only specifies amounts of stored energy, when it can be recovered, it's control & release. No mention of collection method.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:21:35 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
KERS is expensive. The new teams must either spend the money to develop their own system or buy one from an established team. I think they feel their money can make more gains for them in other areas. So far, only Lotus seems to have closed the gap to the midfield. OZ will be interesting.

Lonny
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
I can see a few advantages that the non-KERS teams might use. They can run a shorter wheelbase than the KERS teams. They can also better distribute the weight around the car.

As you say, Lonny, Melbourne will be interesting.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
I'm also not sure about what types of KERS will be allowed. I've read that only electrical sistems would be allowed, and I've also read that Williams would be allowed to use its mechanical (flywheel) system.
Williams may be allowed to but I read they were using a battery type for now.

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »
As far as I know now, only the three new teams - Lotus, Virgin and HRT - are non-Kers-cars all season (I've read that Lotus might be without it all year). I'm not so sure about Force India and Toro Rosso, though.
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle