collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 106
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16176 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11292 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Flying marbles!!  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Andy B

Flying marbles!!
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Its all very well having the Pirelli tyres spicing up the action but with all the marbles off line its making the circuits seem like its been raining and a dry line has formed.

Di Resta has also stated that his hands were hit by flying marbles which also cannot be good.
Petrov has stated that he thinks the marbles made him understeer off the circuit and take flying lessons.

Are the super softs going to make the problem worse?
From the TV pictures the marbles look very big or is that HD detail?

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Flying marbles!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
There were countless large chunks of rubber visible with the HD feed along with the other marbles. I could also see quite clearly why drivers would complain about getting hit with marbles. During the race DC told the audience that the tires do not pick up the rubber like they used to (all the drivers at the end of the race do this to add weight to the car lest they come in under weight) but with the HD feed I could clearly see the track clear up when a driver got off line and into the marbles. That tells me that if the tires aren't picking up the marbles then they are being thrown up and some are going to wind up hitting drivers in the helmet.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
I wonder if it is just more apparent this year due to the sheer amount of debris coming off the tyres than it was in previous years?  Bridgestone did a good job limiting the marbling from their tyres over time so the track rubbered in leaving a grippy line and a slippery remainder due to no tyre grip.  The Pirelli's don't seem to rubber in on the track and just cause the area of the track outside the racing line to resemble Donington Park after the Download Festival!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »
I watched the race in SD, and the marbles were clearly much greater than last year.

Formula1.com has last seasons edits in HD now, so you should be able to compare them.

Obviously the Bridgestones were designed to last, so it might be more fair to compare the marbles to the years of Goodyear?  Few of the current drivers would be familiar with that level of tire wear.  Too bad Rubens hasn't turned enough laps to offer his opinion on the matter...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
It did look like NASCAR level marbles out there. I wonder what the GPDA will have to say about them.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
Alonso has now raised concerns about the marbling asking Pirelli to look into reducing them. He has also said that on narrow track especially street circuits there will be carnage from going round back markers!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:19:21 AM »
Wouldn't it be more interesting to give them rock hard tires that produced no marbles? Do away with the pit stops, and let the cars slip and slide around. In the '60s and 70s if you made a pit stop you were out of contention, and there were plenty of great races. Modern drivers are totally spoiled by the level of grip available. I think it would be much more interesting if they had to control wheel spin with the throttle. Let the driver who can put the power down best take the win.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
I wonder if they should be concentrating on flying Russians rather than marbles.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
 :DD  :good:

Last night on first practice, Brundle (I think) said that Pirelli doesn't like the term "marbles.' He said they prefer "toffee."  :fool:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
:DD  :good:

Last night on first practice, Brundle (I think) said that Pirelli doesn't like the term "marbles.' He said they prefer "toffee."  :fool:

::)   I can understand 'Chewits' (or better still 'Gobbits'  :D). 

But "toffee" sounds like a Fudge to me.  :DD :DD :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle