collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 263
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12997 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Was Lewis penalised because Nando cried foul?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Was Lewis penalised because Nando cried foul?
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »

Coulthard suggests a whiff of something a bit off is swirling around the Hamilton/Alonso stewards visit in Maylasia. So Massa can move to block and squeeze freely whilst anyone in Ferrari's way must not defend a position?  :confused:

Let's hope the only fishy course served in China at the stewards office is at dinnertime.  :D

I was already at Kuala Lumpur’s airport, bound for Phuket and a couple of days R&R with my partner Karen, when news reached me of the stewards’ decision to award both drivers 20-second penalties; Fernando for causing the collision, and Lewis for ‘weaving’ in front of the Spaniard a lap earlier.

I was surprised about the latter penalty because I had not seen any weaving myself, but that is not to say it did not happen. In the commentary box we rely on the international feed and unless the director or a cameraman sees an incident, it is not broadcast.

The race director, Charlie Whiting, obviously did not spot it at the time, or did not deem it worthy of investigation. So clearly Ferrari and Fernando raised the issue when he went to see the stewards about the collision.

As always – and particularly, it seems, when these two drivers are involved – conspiracy theories did not take long to surface; Hamilton was ‘brake-testing’ Alonso and should have been held responsible for the collision, screamed Alonso’s fans.

Nonsense, countered supporters of Hamilton, the McLaren man was not only hit through no fault of his own, he was then punished for an entirely separate incident simply because Alonso happened to be going in to see the stewards.

On this last point I do not disagree. It seems a fair assumption that Fernando only reported Lewis’s weaving since he was already in trouble himself.

But that does not make his complaint any less valid. And once reported, the stewards have an obligation to uphold the rules.

The important thing — and this is my key point — is that they are consistent with their interpretation of the rules.

Fernando’s culpability was clear cut as far as I was concerned. I said as much on the BBC. Lewis’s weaving was less clear, and not just because I didn’t see it.

For a start, the rule in question is not an exact science. It says that “one defensive change of direction” is allowed but does not specify how large that change of direction might be. And if you then drift back slightly towards your original line, how much is too much?

It will be very interesting to see how the law is interpreted the next time it comes about.

I know quite a few people, including McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh, were of the opinion that both drivers had been punished enough by dropping to sixth and seventh respectively.

But surely that is immaterial. Stewards cannot make decisions based on subjective analysis or the system really will be open to abuse.

By David Coulthard, telegraph.co.uk, April 12.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: Was Lewis penalised because Nando cried foul?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
From what I saw, I'm confused as to why Hamilton got the penalty.

However, he has earned a reputation for 'weaving', and we all know that in sports you get penalised (or rewarded!) based on your reputation as much as any actual hijinks.

It does call up, once again, that the choices of penalties available seem to be ludicrous.  While on paper Hamilton and Alonso suffered the same penalty, the effects on the championship were far different - it's not the same penalty at all.

I think that points penalties are better than time penalties for those finishing in the top 10.  Deduct Alonso and Hamilton each 2 points (or whatever) and then the penalty is consistent and useful.  (This also eliminates the absurdity of a 20 second penalty for a race finished under a safety car that drops a winner out of the top 10.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
I like that too, but I wouldn't stop at the top 10 drivers - It still hurts the driver and team if the infraction takes place in a race when the car is out of the points.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:14:43 AM »
I agree. The penalties may have been the same, but the result was quite different and that is unfair. Hamilton unfortunately had the misfortune of messing with a Ferrari, so of course. the FIA struck back.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »
Coulthard said exactly what I was afraid to say on the grounds that I would be considered to be biased.
I believe that Massa was 'blocking' Button in Australia by weaving down the straights and then 'parking' his car on the apex. This pushes the rules to the extreme limit and is surely un-sporting.
Hamilton moved off line and then back to the normal racing line. The 'one move' was to drive off line. Returning to the racing line is not a 'move' it is an essential!
Alonso should have been more patient. It was obvious that Hamilton had problems so Alonso would easily pass in due course.
Alonso caused the accident yet Hamilton was penalised.
Massa caused Button to take to the escape road and yet Button was penalised!
I guess we can at least accept that there was some consistency.......Ferrari got the best result in both cases!  :fool:

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
@ Monty,
Just what I wanted to write (about Massa / Button).

Well, let's hope this penalty was a one-off, and that they're gonna be consistant again.
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Alonso should have been more patient. It was obvious that Hamilton had problems so Alonso would easily pass in due course.

I can hardly fault Alonso for being impatient.  Is there anyone who understands better what it means to the championship to be caught behind a slower car? 

It may be early, but with any luck every point will count again this year.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

I can hardly fault Alonso for being impatient.  Is there anyone who understands better what it means to the championship to be caught behind a slower car? 

It may be early, but with any luck every point will count again this year.

Pity the great Nando wasn't as impatient when it really mattered in Abu Dhabi with Petrov.  :P

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
Pity the great Nando wasn't as impatient when it really mattered in Abu Dhabi with Petrov.  :P

No kidding, if there was ever a moment to be IMpatient, it was certainly then, not race 2 of 2011.   :good:

Williamsfan

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »
That's exactly what I said in the Heroes and Zeros thread.  Alonso could afford to be patient in Sepang as it was only race 2 and Hamilton was indeed struggling big time.  Anyway, F1 wouldn't be the F1 it is today without some degree of double standards  ::)

Offline muttley

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »
lets hope its not the bigining of what to exspect from alonso,this is starting to look like it could be very entertaining,at the rear end aswell as the front.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Welcome muttley!

I'm not sure China wasn't a one-off, but I hope not.  It was a great race all through the field.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle