collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 96
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16179 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13021 Posts
John S John S
11295 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are the tyres killing pole shoot out?  (Read 3808 times)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Are the tyres killing pole shoot out?
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »

Only 2 cars trying 2 runs in Shanghai final Quali is really Pants.  >:(         

It seems that preserving tyres for the race itself has become more important than going balls out for pole, from Paddy Lowe's comments below and the dismal one run efforts of most top ten runners it's hard to think otherwise. What are the powers that be going to do to stop the status and pride of pole position being eroded?  More to the point when are we going to get the nail biting tension back in the pole shoot out?

McLaren’s technical director Paddy Lowe says Hamilton has some fast learning to do after running out of tyres during the Malaysian grand prix last week.

"How you use the tyres in qualifying has a big consequence on your race result, which we saw to Lewis’ cost," Lowe said in China.

"Crucial phases of the race where he lost out were a consequence of tyre consumption that he had done in qualifying so (it’s a) great spectacle I think and a job for us to manage it well," he added.

Nextgen-auto.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

Re: Are the tyres killing pole shoot out?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
might as well go back to 1 lap qualifying at this rate
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »
Yeah, I had to drive the kids around this morning, and when I checked the timing it said everyone was in the pits.  I thought it had to be on demo mode, but it wasn't.  I don't like that they are trying to save tires for the race at all.  I doubt the broadcasters will be thrilled for very long if the Q sessions simply become 4-5minutes of cars on track.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
There are solutions:

More tires per race

Eliminate the rule requiring starting on q3 tires

Award points for qualifying (I've generally opposed this idea in the past, as getting the pole used to be reward enough, but if it makes things interesting, I'm all for it)

Get rid of this parc ferme crap.  Qualifying trim on Saturday, race trim on Sunday.  I don't see how it saves money.  Surely the expense is flying your crew over for the weekend and putting them up in a hotel, not spending 3 hours doing what they signed up for in the first place.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
More tires per race

Eliminate the rule requiring starting on q3 tires

I like these two best

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
I agree with the two you picked out there Scott, both make sense and would increase the action in qualifying massively.  Good calls Jeri!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »
Get rid of this parc ferme.  Qualifying trim on Saturday, race trim on Sunday.  I don't see how it saves money.  Surely the expense is flying your crew over for the weekend and putting them up in a hotel, not spending 3 hours doing what they signed up for in the first place.

Jeri, parc fermé wasn't primarily there to cut down on hours spent working on the car, though that was touted as a secondary effect that the FIA appreciated. The main reason was to stop the practise of putting on fast-but-fragile components that were only ever meant to do qualifying and then replacing them with slower-but-better-enduring components for the race. Having two lots of different bodywork per car is considerably more expensive than one, not only because of the cost of making the bodywork but the R&D needed to have two solutions to very similar problems.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
How about the softer the tyre the more you get?
Quali is going/has become boring!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »
I think if Lewis thought he had a legitimate shot at the pole he would have gone out again, but he knew Vettel was unreachable so he choose to save tires. How about qually only tires. Doesn't matter if they're hard or soft, everybody gets 3 sets Sat. morning, and they are collected right after qually.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Pirelli suggested you could do China with one stop...can you imagine the carnage if teams had tried that today?  Cars would have been running on their rims.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Pirelli suggested you could do China with one stop...can you imagine the carnage if teams had tried that today?  Cars would have been running on their rims.

Too true! They may have sugggested it but the drivers would have had to push their cars over the line.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »

Maybe Pirelli favour carnage and so wanted that exact scenario?  Still, the tyres are turning out to be great at the moment.  I would be happy if Pirelli stopped tyre development right now and left them as they are!  Really exciting last couple of races.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:52:49 AM »
Pirelli was expecting higher temperatures, which allow the tires to last longer. I wish they could keep the wear but lose some of the marbles.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:33 AM »
After China I say screw qualifying altogether and invert the field next race according to where you finished the previous race!!! So winner starts last etc etc

:good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »
After China I say screw qualifying altogether and invert the field next race according to where you finished the previous race!!! So winner starts last etc etc

:good:

If you want an massive shunt at the first corner every race I'd say that's the best the route to go.  :D  
I think they would have to change to a rolling start with an inverted grid and that's not F1.  :nono:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:03:01 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle