collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 443
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bin Laden is Dead  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Jericoke

Bin Laden is Dead
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/bin.laden.raid/index.html?hpt=T1

Whatever one's politics and beliefs are, the world has sighed a collective breath of relief.

September 11, 2001 set off a dark period in human history.  Everything was tainted by the possibility of terrorism:  who wanted to travel?  who wondered if rising oil prices paid for terrorists?  who thought that in such a dark time, frivolous activities should be put aside?

This period is over.  People will be willing to travel more.  Oil prices will come back down.  People will be more inclined to watch 26 grown men play with oversized go-karts!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:09:10 AM by Dare »

Offline Ian

Re: Bin Laden is Dead (and that's good for F1!)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
It ain't gonna stop them Jeri, if anything they will want to avenge him, could get worse.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Jugirl

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
It ain't gonna stop them Jeri, if anything they will want to avenge him, could get worse.

My thoughts exactly, I am just glad the Brits didn't kill him

Ju

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
The sky high oil prices are being caused by greedy speculators. This won't have any effect on them.

I am just glad the Brits didn't kill him

Actually, I'm glad somebody finally did.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Jugirl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
It reminds me of a very funny comedy sketch i saw, i won't post it up due to the language, but it was on Live at the Apollo a few years ago and by Richard Hall.
In the first part of his sketch he talks about terror and compares it to KFC...

My favourite quote is " Just because the Colonel is on the bucket, doesn't mean he actually makes the chicken"

This is how i fear it will be now Bin Laden is dead, revenge attacks and it just getting worse. I think people are a bit naive if they think terrorism was caused by one man alone it won't stop here.

Ju

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »
I agree Ju, I am concerned that now Bin Laden has been killed that Al Qaeda or one of the tagger on type groups associating with them will launch another atrocity against the US or a European power.  Bin Laden was more of a peripheral figure in recent years anyway so although it is a positive step in the war against terrorism, there is a long way to go before the threat goes completely (if it is ever actually possible.)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
It reminds me of a very funny comedy sketch i saw, i won't post it up due to the language, but it was on Live at the Apollo a few years ago and by Richard Hall.
In the first part of his sketch he talks about terror and compares it to KFC...

My favourite quote is " Just because the Colonel is on the bucket, doesn't mean he actually makes the chicken"

This is how i fear it will be now Bin Laden is dead, revenge attacks and it just getting worse. I think people are a bit naive if they think terrorism was caused by one man alone it won't stop here.

Ju

There is a reason he was known as a terrorist 'mastermind'.

In F1 you can have the best drivers, the best designers, and all the money in the world, but if you don't have anyone to tie it together, you get Honda, or Toyota.

Terrorism is the same.  You can have the best bombs, the best targets, and all the potential 'martyrs' you want, but if they're not tied together, you get a guy with a dud bomb in his underwear.

Bin Laden could pull everything together.  9/11 took years to do - it was revenge for missles launched by Bill Clinton before he was impeached!  I do not think there is a pile of 'revenge' plots that were waiting for Bin Laden to be killed before going into action.  There may be plots in motion, even some set forth by Bin Laden himself.  However, as soon as these 'terrorists' start to rush things, it will unravel.

There will be continued fighting in Afghanistan, with or without Bin Laden.  I doubt his death will affect that at all.  I just don't see how it can get worse.  Indeed, without a 'face' to rally behind, will there be more or less enemies?  And if Bin Laden can be caught, who's volunteering to take his place as the public face of 'Death to USA'?  I doubt they'll last 10 years.

Lastly, given the stife in many mideast countries as of late... much of what Bin Laden wanted is happening.  He became a CIA stooge precisely because he opposed the autocrats that Americans hated, but did nothing about.  His followers are living better lives, with or without him.

I appreciate the joke, but I still believe that Bin Laden's end is good for our brand of civiliation, which includes F1 racing!

Jugirl

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
I see your point but i cannot believe something as huge and successful as Al Qaeda was solely held together by one man. I am sure he had generals and second in commands who are more than capable of filling his shoes and possibly carry out plans he may have made before he was killed to revenge his own death.

To bring it back to F1 for you, McLaren didn't fall apart when Ron Dennis moved aside, Martin Whitmarsh is doing a pretty good job of filling his shoes.

Ju

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
While people like Ayman al-Zawahiri (Egyptian- suspected successor to Bin Laden) and Anwar al-Awlaki (man behind the attempted cargo plane bombings last year) are still alive and able to gain supporters, the world is still not safe from threat.  Following on from the idea of Jugirl's joke quote, the expression 'The King is dead, long live the King' comes to mind.  I think more important will be the work done destroying the groups assets than the symbolic killing of their leader, but that is a personal thought.

Jugirl

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
I agree with you WF his followers will want his memory to live on as long as possible :(

Ju

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
Jeri, you've got a really good argument.  I was also thinking 'uh oh, when's the revenge attack going to come', but you make some very valid points.  

Al Qaeda seems to have been on the run in northern Pakistan for most of the last decade, so it hasn't been the most organized I imagine.  Organizing terror in Iraq or Afghanistan is not rocket science, especially with the help of the Taliban and various Iraqi warlords.

Losing their spiritual leader, philanthropist and the brains of the operation in one stroke (it's not usually set up that way) could well have been very effective in shutting them down.

Not to say there won't be a few copy-cat attempts, but like Jeri pointed out, they often fizzle out or are caught before they happen.

Let's hope so...at least until the next psycho comes along.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:38:48 PM by F1 Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
The London Bombings in 2005 had little to do with Bin Laden and lots to do with al-Awlaki, as did the Fort Hood shootings in 2009 and the failed bombings last year.  Not wanting to argue, it is good news what has happened but it is far from the end of everything.  To me it is not a case of waiting for copy cat stuff, the people out there who planned recent attacks are still there, just their symbolic leader has gone.  I'd love to be wrong though, seriously I would. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
I find the idea that we shouldn't have taken action against him for fear of reprisal absolutely unfathomable. If Hitler had been found alive in, say, 1960, should he have been left alone? After all, others had taken over from him.

At least he lived long enough to see his worst nightmare come true - Peaceful overthrow of middle eastern despots by moderate groups. That, more than anything else, will marginalize the terrorist groups.

As for al-Zawahiri, al-Awlaki and their ilk, I doubt that they will sleep very well over their few remaining days.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Jugirl

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
I am not saying it is not a good thing that he has finally been gotten rid of, or that it was a bad idea to get him in the first place. I am just saying it is far from over, his followers will not let this rest lightly and will plan revenge. In fact they have probably already started on some twisted plot already :( It is naive to think it is over so easily.

As David Cameron said on the news, " We will have to be extra vigilant in the near future".

Ju

David

Re: Bin Laden is Dead
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Like most I'm pleased to hear of the demise of Bin Laden, however I'm of the view it will make little difference to Al Qaeda activity. I'm also of the view that some poor American / Westener, or worse an number of poor Americans / Westeners are going to suffer in some sort of reprisal attacks. While the west poke their noses into others affairs around the world the risk of reprisals form some opposing group will always be there. The unfortunate thing is someone has to stand up for what is perceived to be right, and there will always be another party with opposing views or beliefs that are willing to counter attack. One thing is for sure, no matter what it won't stop me living my life, I give little thought in everyday life to terrorists and the risks posed. They day you give in to that is the day they win IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle