collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Michael and Tomlinson to leave Williams  (Read 2540 times)

Williamsfan

Michael and Tomlinson to leave Williams
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
And Mike Coughlan (AKA, The McLaren spy cheat) to join....  Feel sorry for Sam, he was a bit of a scapegoat for the team but in fairness although his tenure matched Williams worst form, he had a far too big job to be able to do on his own.  People should have been brought on board to assist him, not replace him.  I expect him to end up at someone else and do a damn good job.

Full story from Autosport:
Michael resigns, Coughlan joins Williams   

By Jonathan Noble   Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 09:50 GMT

Williams technical director Sam Michael and chief aerodynamicist Jon Tomlinson have resigned from the team, as the outfit announced on Tuesday the appointment of Mike Coughlan as chief engineer.

On the back of a troubled start to the campaign, Michael and Tomlinson have both decided to leave the outfit at the end of the season when their current contracts expire.

Team boss Frank Williams said the departure of the two would allow the team time to sort out replacements that would help turn around its situation.

"Both Sam and Jon are talented and driven people who have worked hard for Williams over 10 and five years respectively," he said. "Nonetheless, they have recognised that the team's performance is not at the level that it needs to be and have resigned in order to give the team the opportunity to regroup and undertake the changes necessary to get back to the front of the grid.

"Both will continue to work in their present positions through until the end of the year to ensure that the team maintains focus and momentum during the 2011 season. We are very grateful to Sam and to Jon for their professional approach."

In the wake of the decisions of Michael and Tomlinson, Williams has signed former McLaren technical chief Mike Coughlan - who left the Woking-based team in the wake of the 2007 spy scandal - as its new chief engineer.

Williams said: "Mike Coughlan is a fine engineer with extensive experience across Formula One and both civil and defence engineering.

"He left Formula 1 in 2007 because of conduct which he acknowledges was wrong and which he profoundly regrets. His two year ban from the sport expired some time ago and Mike is now determined to prove himself again.

"Williams is delighted to be able to give him the opportunity to do this and we are very pleased to have one of the most talented and competitive engineers in the sport helping us to return to the front of the grid.

"This is the first step in re-building and strengthening our technical group. We will announce the next steps as they develop."

Coughlan added: "I am grateful to Williams for giving me this opportunity. My experience in 2007 was life-changing. Since then, I have endeavoured to put my skills to good use in the design of the Ocelot vehicle whose purpose is to transport soldiers in safety. I have also enjoyed my time with Michael Waltrip Racing: they are an excellent race team and I wish them well for the future.

"Now, I am looking forward to returning to a sport which I love and to joining a team that I have admired for many years. I will dedicate myself to the team and to ensuring that we return to competitiveness while respecting the ethical standards with which Williams has always been synonymous."

Offline stealthhaggis

Re: Michael and Tomlinson to leave Williams
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
Personally I am glad Sam has gone, really wasn't working out for him or Williams so best they go their separate ways and start afresh. Was hoping they would bring in Symonds and judging by the fact they are looking to bring in Mike Spygate Coughlan they clearly are not concerned about handling damaged goods, so can see it happening too!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
Ditto - I thought Symonds was the logical choice, but maybe they're still negotiating with him, or his price is too high.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »
I'm sorry to see Sam go. I agree with WF. He just had too much on his plate for one person to handle.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
I'd personally be hoping that we are negotiating with Geoff Willis and Pat Symonds, both are at teams well below where they should be and I am sure would help Williams greatly.  Either that or spending a massive sum and tempting Newey back with Brawn as his assistant... I can dream  :crazy:

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Adam Parr has revealed that he offered to step down from his post as Williams CEO following the team's decision to make sweeping changes and also confirmed that Patrick Head will retire this year.

The Grove outfit on Tuesday confirmed that technical director Sam Michael and chief aerodynamicist Jon Tomlinson will leave when their contracts expire at the end of the season.

The team also announced that former McLaren technical director Mike Coughlan will take up the post of chief engineer in June as they look to turn their fortunes around.

When asked if he had considered his own position, Parr - who has held the position of CEO since 2006 - replied: "Absolutely. I tendered my resignation to Frank [Williams], Patrick [Head] and Toto [Wolff, shareholder]. I am responsible and I took the responsibility to do whatever they wanted to do."

He confirmed that his bosses turned the offer down.

"They did, yes. But that doesn't mean I don't feel responsible for what happened," he added.

"I've addressed the whole factory and explained that I am responsible and have apologised for my part in this failure."

Parr also revealed that Williams co-founder Patrick Head will call it a day this year.

"Patrick has made it clear that he will be retiring this year, so at some point this year that will happen," he said.

"That's nothing to do with the restructuring, it's just the fact that he's turning 65 and had already signalled that it's time for him to move on to his next set of interests in life."

Head started the team with Frank Williams in 1977 and designed several of the cars that helped them to win multiple World Championships. However, he sold more than half of his shares when the team made an initial public offering earlier this year.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Here's a tweet saying that Symonds has gone to Virgin?!

tedkravitz13 mins Mike Coughlan at Williams, Pat Symonds at Virgin. Interesting ethical question for F1...

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
Yeah Stealth, Pat is at Virgin, his company is currently working on a consultation basis with the team, he is not actually part of the team unless something changed I didn't hear of! 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
Here's a tweet saying that Symonds has gone to Virgin?!

tedkravitz13 mins Mike Coughlan at Williams, Pat Symonds at Virgin. Interesting ethical question for F1...

On track the sport is about breaking rules and not getting caught.  It would be hypocritical not to follow those ethics off the track  >:D

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
Sam was too young and inexperienced for the job and he never grew into the position. Surprised Williams left him there as long as they did. They should be replaced immediately, not wait until season end. Why waste a half season before changes are made that could possibly effect the season outcome to the positive.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »
Because they developed this car, to preserve continuity. Coughlin will contribute but also start on next years car. I think Williams is still looking for someone with more experience to head up the team and try to replace Head.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Because they developed this car, to preserve continuity. Coughlin will contribute but also start on next years car. I think Williams is still looking for someone with more experience to head up the team and try to replace Head.

Lonny

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Lonny about Williams still looking for someone to take on the full leadership role. I suspect however that there are few top guys available which has led them to bring in Coughlin in the meantime.

I feel the lack of guys, or gals, with the sort of proven track record needed for F1 team leadership raises some of the same questions as the rookie driver situation. The big one being how to identify talent when there are so few opportunities for individuals to gain the right experience, thanks to the budget restiction measures. 

Maybe FOTA should be considering putting in place a scholarship type scheme requiring each team to have a couple of Interns as mangement trainees, I'm sure they can work out how to get a small pot of money to pay the trainees from, ensuring even the small teams take part. Mind you they should ensure these people aren't just used as gophers for their whole stay which preferably should be 2 years. Would be good for the sport's image politically and may bring on a few Tyrells, Todts, or even a Dennis or two.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
Good idea John, which probably means it will never happen.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle