collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 539
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jaguar E-Type - an icon of British motoring  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Wizzo

Jaguar E-Type - an icon of British motoring
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
2011 marks the 50th anniversary of one of the most famous and enviable cars in automotive history - the Jaguar E-Type.

Back in 1964, a Low Drag lightweight Jaguar E-Type met with a crash at the Montlhery circuit in France. The crash took the lives of the driver Peter Lindner, along with another driver and two marshals. At that time, it was thought that it won’t be ever possible to restore the car.

But, it has actually happened now, thanks to Peter Neumark, owner of Classic Motor Car business, CMC, in Bridgnorth. Around 7,000 hours of restoration in Shropshire have resulted in what could be the most expensive Jaguar E-Type ever, worth £5 million ($8.2 million).

This is one of the most major restorations ever to take place in the world. Many said that it could not be done but they have proved them wrong. This E-Type was one of only 12 lightweight models built by Jaguar in 1963.

Interesting facts: Jaguar E-Type History

On its release Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari called it “The most beautiful car ever made.”

• The E-Type was presented to the world’s press at the restaurant du Parc des Eaux Vives in Geneva on March 15, 1961. It was initially designed and shown to the public as a grand tourer in two-seater coupé form (Fixed Head Coupé) and as convertible (Open Two Seater). A 2+2 version of the coupé was added in 1966.

• The E-type’s straight-six engine got Jaguar five Le Mans victories in the 1950s and by 1961, in 3.8-liter form produced 265bhp and 260lb ft of torque, making the car a genuine 150mph proposition and like its XK120 predecessor, the fastest production car in the world.

• At launch, the E-Type cost £2,256, which translates to £38,000 as of today.

• The E-Type’s stunning bodywork was the work of Malcolm Sayer, an aeronautical engineer by training. He began his career at Jaguar by creating two classic racing machines, the C- and D-types.

• The E-type remained in production for 14 years, selling more than 70,000 units, which make it Europe’s first mass-produced sports car.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Online cosworth151

Re: Jaguar E-Type - an icon of British motoring
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
I agree with The Commendatori. The E-Type (XK-E over here) was the most beautiful production car ever built. When it was first introduced, it looked like a space ship compaired to the cars of the day. Fifty years later, it doesn't look a bit dated.

Our annual British Car Show up in Columbus will be on the 15th. The E-Type will be one of the two Featured Marques.

The restoration of the lightweight looks fantastic. Glad to see it was saved.

One correction:

The E-Type remained in production for 14 years, selling more than 70,000 units, which make it Europe's first mass-produced sports car.

Over 100,000 MGA's were built between 1955 and 1961.

Cos (MG owner  :D  )
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »

One correction:

The E-Type remained in production for 14 years, selling more than 70,000 units, which make it Europe's first mass-produced sports car.

Over 100,000 MGA's were built between 1955 and 1961.

Cos (MG owner  :D  )

Quite right Cos, and other MG Sportscars were produced in even greater numbers around the same era as the E type. Even the MGB GT hardtop, a derivative of the B had 125,282 roll off the line in 16 years between 1965 -80. But a staggering 399,070 MGB roadstars were produced in 18 years between 1962–80.

Even the six cylinder Triumph TR6, only in production for 8 years 1969–76, had more units than the E type with 94,619 cars built.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Beautiful restoration, I would love to have a look round that car in the flesh.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
I always liked the shape of the production car a little better than the light weight. The C Type is my favorite though.

Lonny
Lonny

Online cosworth151

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
Wonderful restoration of an iconic breed.
The XK-E has always been my favorite British Car. A world leader in design.

I wish they had also restored the racing numbers as it was in full race trim.
Or maybe I am being macabre and in light of the deaths it is better to not go down that road.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
I always prefered the soft top version.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
I always prefered the soft top version.

me too Ian but the coupe would do in a pinch

and
they call them ragtops here
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
Wow - I'm surprised how good a job they did keeping it simple and classic.   :good: :good:

I'd buy one, but of course it would have to be black.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »
Make mine green, please!  :good:

And hold the waffle pattern upolstery. Just a nice tuck & roll will do fine, thank you.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 04:10:23 AM »
I'll take one in British Racing Green.
Very nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle