collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 594
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumi: That big joy is missing  (Read 3971 times)

Offline stealthhaggis

Re: Schumi: That big joy is missing
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Di Resta still isn't proven.  I don't think Merc could stand another year in the mid-pack if it takes him long to learn the car, or doesn't perform as well as his record.  Fine to bring him in as one of two drivers, but I would make sure the other driver has more experience than Hulkenberg.  Plus I thought Merc was aiming for German drivers, at least down the road.
I think most were assuming Di Resta would replace Schumacher and The Hulk would replace Di Resta at FI which would be as you say, both teams having one experienced-ish driver and one new-ish!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »

For all of you that respond with a count of his WDC's remember that he cheated his way to 3 of them and for most of the others he had the priviledged position of being a clear number one driver, in the best car and with a team built around him. If you go back to his early days he was regularly beaten by other drivers in similar machinery.
If Schumacher had an 'edge', it was his ruthlessness. I also think he was incredibly lucky. I witnessed him cause accidents on a number of occassions that he drove away from, while his 'target' was sidelined.

I pesonally would apply that same epithet to Senna. :P  Since his untimely death everyone seems to totally overlook just how ruthless and hardnosed he was. Perhaps it's what's needed to become a multiple WDC.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
It is a damm shame to see Michael struggling, also to here him say that he's not even enjoying what he's doing. If he gets the chin down there isn't a chance he will move forward, he may end up leaving the sport (again) prematurely, and I fear his status of one of the sports greatest will be damaged as a result. IMO that would be very sad.

What I would like to see is Merc improving and him getting a chance to mix it up for a few podiums this season. Then at the end of this season him gracefully retiring (forever) and DiResta getting his seat. He could then walk away and remain the great champion I at least remembered.

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
I'm not a big Schumi fan, either, but I felt truly bad for him. It was very sad to see an ex-champion with his love of the sport just washed out of him.

Have you seen his salary?? Don't feel too bad on his behalf!!!  ;)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:35 PM »
It is a damm shame to see Michael struggling, also to here him say that he's not even enjoying what he's doing. If he gets the chin down there isn't a chance he will move forward, he may end up leaving the sport (again) prematurely, and I fear his status of one of the sports greatest will be damaged as a result. IMO that would be very sad.

What I would like to see is Merc improving and him getting a chance to mix it up for a few podiums this season. Then at the end of this season him gracefully retiring (forever) and DiResta getting his seat. He could then walk away and remain the great champion I at least remembered.

It's not the same sport he was once the king of.

Modern F1 is about putting in great laps, about having the right car from your team.

When Michael was doing it (cheating or not) he did work hard developing the car.  Schumacher put in more laps in one season's testing than Vettel has put in his entire career.

Would Schumacher/Mercedes be better off with an extra thousand laps of testing?  Maybe.  Would Schumacher have come back to the sport if if it meant an extra thousand laps of testing?  I doubt it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle