collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 590
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumi: That big joy is missing  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Dare

Schumi: That big joy is missing
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »

Personally I'd like to see him turn this year around but I'm afraid
it's not going to happen

After weeks of insisting that he's having fun, Michael Schumacher has finally admitted that the "big joy" of F1 racing is "not there right now."

When Schumacher announced he was returning to Formula One, the German quite clearly stated: "I want to have fun out there."

However, it seems that he's not having much joy these days.

Although he has often said since his comeback that he had "fun" out there even though he wasn't fighting for race wins or podiums, on Sunday in Turkey the fun finally faded.

With rumours suggesting he could be on his way out at the end of the season, Schumacher told the BBC that the "big joy is not there right now."

Starting P8 on the grid, Schumacher was involved in several battles, including one on lap three with Vitaly Petrov which sent the seven-time Champ into the pits for a new nose.

That dropped him down to 22nd place, from which he fought back to finish 12th.

"What happened with Vitaly Petrov, it was mostly my mistake - suddenly we got together and I lost my front wing," said Schumacher.

"There was lots of fighting and lots of action, but all for nothing."

He added: "Mostly I was able to go forward but the big joy is not there right now."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

Re: Schumi: That big joy is missing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
As we said on race chatroom today Dare, it's time for him to hang up his racing gloves, great shame really as he was the best.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »
I have to agree but I expect him to see the season out, who is reserve?
Good to chat earlieer I'll do it again.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:37:59 AM »
I have to agree but I expect him to see the season out, who is reserve?
Good to chat earlieer I'll do it again.

glad to have you Andy,we've been doing it for 5 years now
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »
As I understand it, Mercedes currently has no reserve whatsoever, so they'd probably ask Vijay nicely if they could possibly borrow Nico Hulkenburg if they got really desperate to send Michael away (or he left of his own accord).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »
I realise Schumacher has been struggling, and I am not his biggest fan (HA!), but I think there was something wrong with his car today. He was right on pace with the frontrunners until after P3, then couldn't get it going again. Not typical. I think he is suffering from what I speculated on when he announced his return, a lack of testing. I never thought he was a great driver, but he is probably the best test and development driver ever and he can't do that now. He can't whittle the car to his exact specs, but must deal with what he's got and I think it handicaps him.

Lonny
Lonny

Jugirl

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
As I understand it, Mercedes currently has no reserve whatsoever, so they'd probably ask Vijay nicely if they could possibly borrow Nico Hulkenburg if they got really desperate to send Michael away (or he left of his own accord).

I agree with you there Ali. Being young and German i think he would be first choice if MS was pushed or went on his own accord. I somehow don't think though they will push him out because it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth from Ross Brawn to someone he has had so much success with. Its more likely he will see the season out and then retire of his own accord.

Ju

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
Ok, mid season is one thing, but looking at next year, if Merc go after Hulk, they will remain a mid-runner.  They should be hunting down Vettel, or even Webber, maybe Massa (no, I'm not a fan, but he has shown he can drive pretty quick, unlike Hulk).  Even Button might be lured back to Brawn if it becomes too obvious that Hammy owns Mclaren, and the Merc car is on the rise.  Bottom line, Merc needs a top driver, especially if Rosberg is on the way out too.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:33:36 AM »

If, and I think it's still a big if, Michael walks away Norbert will bring in Di Resta, I'm sure that's the development plan and they would simply be enacting it a year early. IMO Hulkenberg is at F1FI because they know Paul possibly may only be there this year and would be moving to Merc sooner or later anyway. 

Whilst I don't rate Rosberg in the same league as Vettel, Lewis and Nando, he is now starting to look like a race winner if the car or circumstances allow. I see Rosberg's big problem coming when another younger man steps into the Merc if Shumi leaves, a new boy keeping up or even beating him might end Nico's silver arrows career.

Like Lonny says Michael seems to have trouble adapting to the extremly variable conditions that the drivers face at the moment, however he showed he can still turn on the speed with a very fast lap in practice so I don't think he will chuck in the towel just yet. The other big factor is how much his input is helping improve the car, if Nico is running up front because MS has found speed in the chassis maybe he may hang on.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Williamsfan

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »
I agree John, that's how I would see it going too.  Di Resta seems destined for Mercedes with the Hulk being his replacement.  Schumi's return is even more disappointing this year than it was last season. 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »
Shadow of his former self, especially in the grey outfit! Would love to see Di Resta given his drive and Nico stepping back into F1 after a decent enough first season. The younger guys deserve their chance, people who actually are enjoying themselves.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
Di Resta still isn't proven.  I don't think Merc could stand another year in the mid-pack if it takes him long to learn the car, or doesn't perform as well as his record.  Fine to bring him in as one of two drivers, but I would make sure the other driver has more experience than Hulkenberg.  Plus I thought Merc was aiming for German drivers, at least down the road.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
Many of you will know that I am not a fan of Schumacher (under-statement) and think his return to F1 was bad for the sport and stopped a younger (probably more talented) driver the opportunity of a drive.
For all of you that respond with a count of his WDC's remember that he cheated his way to 3 of them and for most of the others he had the priviledged position of being a clear number one driver, in the best car and with a team built around him. If you go back to his early days he was regularly beaten by other drivers in similar machinery.
If Schumacher had an 'edge', it was his ruthlessness. I also think he was incredibly lucky. I witnessed him cause accidents on a number of occassions that he drove away from, while his 'target' was sidelined.
I think Rosberg is clearly a better driver and there are plenty of young drivers on the Mercedes payroll that could replace Schumacher at much lower cost. I really hope that Di Resta is given the Mercedes drive next season.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
For all of you that respond with a count of his WDC's remember that he cheated his way to 3 of them

He cheated his way out of one too.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
I'm not a big Schumi fan, either, but I felt truly bad for him. It was very sad to see an ex-champion with his love of the sport just washed out of him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle