collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 574
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Hungary - Heidfeld's fire  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Scott

F1 Hungary - Heidfeld's fire
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
They suspect it was a result of an extra long pit stop due to a tire problem, and the forward facing exhausts heating up the bodywork until it caught fire.  I always thought the forward exhausts might cause fires.

Can you imagine being on the pit crew of Renault?  If the exhaust is so hot it causes carbon fibre to burn, it must get pretty darned hot while you're changing a tire.

They also didn't mention anything about the explosion.  I sure hope someone is trying to figure out what happened.  KERS blew up or what?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93584

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1 Hungary - Heidfeld's fire
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
I don't think the stop was longer than the cars in the first few rows spend sitting still on the grid between the recon lap & the start. As quickly as that flared up and spread, I wonder if an hydraulic, oil or fuel line broke.

I suspect a KERS battery in the explosion too, Scott.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
I always said that Heidfeld is the now-a-days Amon. If there is any bad luck, it finds him...

Luckily he got out without injuries...
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »

In this vid of the car on fire it does look lke the explosion comes from infront of the engine so KERS battery looks a likely suspect, but I guess could also be an hydraulic fluid resovoir going up.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
That poor marshal wasn't limping because he was hurt......he just had something running down the inside of his trouser leg!

The cars have pressurised cooling systems. As the explosion happened there was a lot of white smoke. Could this have been steam, suggesting a radiator had exploded?

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
Its rare to see F1 cars catch fire these days, even if the causes were seperate I think both of Heidfelds fires this year should be investigated fully.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »

The team now says it's the small gas cannister, which supplies the pneumatic valve system on the engine, that exploded. The following is from GPupdate.com, Today. At least the marshall seems to have escaped relatively uninjured.  :good:

Although Technical Director James Allison is yet to publish a full report into the incident, it is highly expected that the issue began when one of the wheel nuts forced a lengthy stop - with normal procedure requiring the driver to maintain 18,000rpm as full throttle is applied with the pit lane speed limiter active.

As mechanics attended to the wheel problem, the car remained stationary for around 10 to 12 seconds as opposed to the usual three or four; this caused the forward-pointing exhausts to overheat and in-turn the bodywork caught fire.

The subsequent explosion of the left sidepod occurred as the cold fire extinguisher foam came into to contact with the aforementioned small gas canister, which all cars carry in order to feed the pneumatic valve system of the engine.

It has been confirmed by the Hungaroring that a marshal – hit by flying debris as the sidepod exploded – suffered no more than bruising to the leg.

Renault are expected to authenticate an official explanation on Monday evening.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the marshal is OK. The video John put up shows how much debris the cars exiting the pits had to run through.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
Looks like Nick might have done a bit in his trousers too, looked a bit shocked at the end of John's vid there, hehe.

Neil.P

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
Geez, time for a re-design on that little tank...maybe a safety valve or something? 

Still, I'm still a bit suspicious.  I've never seen an explosion like that on an F1 car, or ever seen a tank like that was described in debris. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
They're going to bring back the old Renault Fuego name for the car.
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
They now say it came from a crack in the exhaust.

It was an expensive fire. The car is a complete write-off.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93623
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 02:46:38 AM »
They think the actual cause was a new fuel map which caused excess heat, cracking the exhaust. The thing that got me was with the throttle open the exhaust temp rises 600' per second!! This is because they run a hot blown diffuser and there is raw fuel in the exhaust stream.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 05:19:04 AM »
They must've been trying to emulate a jet fighters afterburner technology and it backfired! :)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
They must've been trying to emulate a jet fighters afterburner technology and it backfired! :)

Never a good idea to use afterburners whilst stationary.  ;) :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle