collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13027 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 tax row clouds Indian GP  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: F1 tax row clouds Indian GP
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
What I recall of USA 2001 is that the Schumachers panicked about security and everyone else carried on preparing without making any kind of cancellation threat at all.

Strange - in the UK, it was only the Schumachers that were anti-US GP. Bernie was adamant everyone was going and the rest fell into line, as they knew they'd have to even if they'd disagreed.

And do you really think that Bernie lost money on Bahrain? We have a story over here about Br'er Rabbit and the brier patch.

Unless you are suggesting that Bernie broke his contract to take the payment (bearing in mind 50% isn't even due until after the race and the other half is due 2 weeks prior to the race, meaning he had 0% in his hands at the time of cancellation), then Bernie cannot have made anything on the Bahrain race. It is mathematically impossible for him to have done so.

I far as I can tell, France is the only other county that had this policy with an F1 race. That problem was settled: there is no more French GP.

That wasn't why they lost the race, otherwise they wouldn't be going there in 2013. The tax laws are exactly the same in that respect; the difference is that the track is no longer in the middle of nowhere in a place where most of the living beings in the catchement area are cows. The track couldn't get the attendance necessary to afford even a discounted fee, so the organisers (not Bernie) pulled the race to stop making such huge losses.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
Strange - in the UK, it was only the Schumachers that were anti-US GP. Bernie was adamant everyone was going and the rest fell into line, as they knew they'd have to even if they'd disagreed.

I can't speak to what was in the British press. I only know what was in the papers and on TV over here. I know that friends in Indy weren't at all sure that there would be a race that year.

It is mathematically impossible for him to have done so.

I guess you just have much more faith that Bernie's dealings are all open & above board than I do. I wonder how much money is passed under the table.

otherwise they wouldn't be going there in 2013

We'll see if they actually do.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
They're going to Bernie's track in France (meaning Bernie gets to pocket half the "Bernie fee" as well as the usual money). Tax on 1/19th of the annual income still leaves him with a large profit margin. It'll happen.

It looks like the tax issue hinges on whether F1 is entertainment or sport. The difference is that the latter gets a tax exemption if it's a big enough event ("national interest" being the threshold, which F1 should easily meet). The former doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:30:11 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
The organisers have agreed to pay the tax on behalf of the teams if need be. Everyone can relax now.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »
I thought it was an income tax issue...this report is all about customs duties.   :DntKnw:

I don't think the drivers give a hoot about duties the teams have to pay.  The drivers might have to pay duty on their helmets and suits (maybe not if the team technically owns them) - what else?

These appear to be two separate issues - I would say that if India has such convoluted tax and duty laws and don't automatically give waivers considering the 100m strong worldwide audience, then they shouldn't be on the calendar at all.

This story is about income tax:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/09/uk-motor-racing-prix-india-idUKTRE7885LH20110909?type=formulaOne

The one Ali posted is about customs duties:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94543
 :DntKnw: :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:36:04 PM by F1 Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
Under the circumstances it wouldn't surprise me if both were at issue. You can add visas to the list - allegedly Hispania had half of their team visas rejected. That's not going to help Narain get his drive...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
So likely Bernie made a call and sorted it out that the organizers must fork out another GBP2m.   :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle