collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: After tax, now it's Visa problems for India GP  (Read 2877 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
After tax, now it's Visa problems for India GP
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »

One thing after another it seems, ::) hope the race is as exciting as the build up.  ;)

Many F1 team members and journalists are experiencing difficulties in obtaining visas whilst preparing to travel to Delhi next month. Nico Rosberg is reportedly yet to receive a visa to enter India for the country's inaugural formula one grand prix, according to the Times of India.

Rumours had begun to emerge in the Monza paddock last weekend.
"I just came back from Monza where people have been complaining about how difficult it is to get visas for the trip to India," said Team Lotus reserve driver Karun Chandhok, whose father Vicky is the head of India's motor sport clubs.

Amid the recent tax and customs issues the Indian government admitted this week that it does not regard the grand prix - organised by a fully private entity - as an "event of national importance".

One figure who has had his visa application rejected, according to the Times of India, is Mercedes driver Rosberg. The same is also true for "half" of the HRT team, the newspaper added.

Even the FIA's head of communications is still waiting for his visa. "If the government takes three weeks to process a visa application, almost 90 per cent of F1 people, me included, won't attend the race," Matteo Bonciani warned.

based on report by oneStopStrategyf1.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: After tax, now it's Visa problems for India GP
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
Sounds like they're giving the Imperialists a bit of a hard time, eh?   :tease: :tease:

Seriously, I'd simply tell as many news outlets in India as possible that if the Visa's aren't delivered in 48hrs for the entire F1 circus, then they can forget about an F1 race this year.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
F1 isn't a sport. F1 isn't an event of national importance. It does sound like the Indian government really is hostile to the sport.

Seriously, I'd simply tell as many news outlets in India as possible that if the Visa's aren't delivered in 48hrs for the entire F1 circus, then they can forget about an F1 race this year.

"Did we say a race in India? I'm sorry, that was a typo. We meant Indiana."   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Certainly part of the goal of the Indian GP is to generate interest in the sport in India.  I suppose by that definition, it's not of 'national interest'.  Of course, by the same token the Canadian GP is hardly of 'national interest' either.

From my very superficial understanding of Indian politics/culture is that there are various 'factions'.  Perhaps the people running the race are in an opposite 'faction' from the ones in government power?  It's not the sport they're trying to hamstring, but the promoters?

Or perhaps by leaving Rosberg out, they're trying to provide an edge for FIF1   (I presume that Shumacher hadn't had results when they granted his visa)  :P

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
Vijay is an MP in the government, the Indian NSA is largely run by the Chandhoks (traditionally friendly rivals to Mallya, dating back to when Vijay Mallya and Vicky Chandhok raced historic F1 cars against each other), Narain Karthikeyan's supporters form a third faction with little political power but lots of financial clout (who so far have been rivals of both the "traditional" factions), the circuit is being run by a group aligned with none of the above... ...it's all a big sticky mess.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:33 AM »
If the government can't expedite visas for the drivers and teams then I agree, tell them to get their act together and maybe we'll come next year. And stuff Bernie and his fee.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
The British government can't expedite visas for F1 either. It's just that the British embassies are generally organised enough and the systems well enough known that it doesn't matter.

What India needs are more helpful embassies who know how to get everyone's visas sorted as efficiently as possible. Unfortunately, even pulling the F1 race permanently is unlikely to make that happen.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle