collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: EJ: F1 race in New Jersey will be huge  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Dare

EJ: F1 race in New Jersey will be huge
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »

Seems to me if Eddie is the big F1 expert he claims to be he has to
know this can be nothinh but another borefest.

Only thing in NJ I wanna see is Bada Bing and Tony Soprano

Eddie Jordan reckons F1 has chosen the right venue to showcase the sport in opting to race through the streets of New Jersey.

Earlier this week, it was confirmed that New Jersey would host a round of the 2014 F1 World Championship with the New York skyline giving the grand prix a unique backdrop.

"New York is one of the major cities in the universe," Jordan told the BBC. "We have been wanting to go somewhere like this for a decade now, this is huge news.

"It is the jewel in the crown, not just in terms of America, but in terms of grand prix racing and brand awareness, bases and venues.

"A race in the centre of a major city has huge upsides. There are difficulties in terms of getting around, but it pales into insignificance compared with the benefits for the teams, the country, the city, commercially for Formula 1 and just the whole euphoria of the thing."

The former F1 team boss turned pundit added that he believes New Jersey would also be a welcome addition because it will add more diversity to the calendar.

"The mix now is such that we have some very great classic venues like Spa and Monza and street circuits like Valencia, Monaco and Singapore," he said.

"The other circuits coming on stream are hugely important. We have focused very strongly on Asia and that showed vision and foresight in my opinion.

"While Europe is steeped in Formula 1 history, the major commercial bugbear for Formula 1 is that we haven't penetrated deeply enough into the United States.

"The States has always been one of those sketchy areas but this is the remedy of all remedies.

"Whether it can boost sponsor revenues or not, it will certainly maintain it. Global corporations will be able to say, 'wow now we can continue in Formula 1' or 'wow this is the time to come in'.

"It is the only sport that is able to offer that."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: EJ: F1 race in New Jersey will be huge
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
Dream on, Eddie!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
They haven't announced where the track is, but the last site Bernie chose was a park.  Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is technically a street circuit that is used as a park year round, with parts of it open to street cars.

If F1 can get a site like like that in NJ, the track itself wouldn't be a problem.  This isn't like Singapore or Monaco where they're showing off the local buildings, but rather trying to show off something in the distance.  It doesn't need to be surrounded by whatever passes for architecture in NJ, which means more flexibility in the design.

Indeed, like Ile Notre Dame in the Saint Lawerence they could just build their own island in the Hudson to race on.  Surely Bernie would love the idea of creating his own land, and not using someone else's.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
They have announced it. It will be on dockland in Weehawken. Not really a place one would want to be caught after sundown.  :stop:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
They have announced it. It will be on dockland in Weehawken. Not really a place one would want to be caught after sundown.  :stop:

Interlagos isn't really a great place to be during daylight, but they go there  :DntKnw:

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »
Still trying to ponder this one...how is it a world-class facility such as Indy could flop out after only a few races and now the US is worthy of 2 races????

Somebody is really going to take a bath on this looming fiasco...and it won't be Bernie.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Still trying to ponder this one...how is it a world-class facility such as Indy could flop out after only a few races and now the US is worthy of 2 races????

Somebody is really going to take a bath on this looming fiasco...and it won't be Bernie.

The guys behind this New Jersey race have taken great pains to point out that the investment required for a street race is only a small fraction of what's required for a new track build. All the roads that the New Jersey race will run on already exist so the infrastructure costs are way down, when they pack up and leave after the event someone else has to take care of maintenace for the rest of the year. This is obviously one of the reasons cities and countries have turned to street courses.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:02 AM »
The only person who thought Indy was a flop was Bernie, and that was because Tony wouldn't hand him the keys to the bank.

I just heard on Radio LeMans that the New Jersey track does go right past the sewage treatment plant.  :sick:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:46:50 AM »
When I say "flop" I mean "why the hell aren't they still racing there?" All that money spent and I thought it was a great track, especially the straight.

Maybe they're bring the race to NJ specifically to help dissipate the smell? :)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 03:35:42 AM »
I posted a track map elsewhere on the site. It actually doesn't look that bad. It has great access by ferry and light rail, but the key difference is Bernie has succeeded in persuading the government to pay the fee. At Indy the George family was trying to pay Bernie and make a profit, just not possible.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
I agree Lonny, the track looks pretty good.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
I posted a track map elsewhere on the site. It actually doesn't look that bad. It has great access by ferry and light rail, but the key difference is Bernie has succeeded in persuading the government to pay the fee. At Indy the George family was trying to pay Bernie and make a profit, just not possible.

The trouble with that is the fact that New Jersey claims to be broke. It's governor, Bobby Baccalieri, I mean, Chris Christie, loudly proclaims that the government shouldn't be spending money on such things. He's slashed schools, roads, police and fire protection in the name of "spending cuts." I can't see him handing a big sack of taxpayer cash to Bernie sitting very well with the voters.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

The trouble with that is the fact that New Jersey claims to be broke. It's governor, Bobby Baccalieri, I mean, Chris Christie, loudly proclaims that the government shouldn't be spending money on such things. He's slashed schools, roads, police and fire protection in the name of "spending cuts." I can't see him handing a big sack of taxpayer cash to Bernie sitting very well with the voters.

Maybe they have the same plan as Montreal:  stiff Bernie 2 years running by misreading the contract, and convince the teams they NEED a race in NJ.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
This is the area where the race is supposed to be.

― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »
Cossie, Cossie, F1 is never coming back to Indy. let go of the fantasy. Try to adjust to reality and enjoy the F1 that Bernie so graciously gives us.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle