collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 611
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2012 Grid Game rules  (Read 12050 times)

Offline Scott

Re: 2012 Grid Game rules
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
As long as you're more enthusiastic than Kimi  :P 

Good to hear from you Lon - hope school is going well.   :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 12:08:24 AM »
In 5 years of the GG it has always come down to the
last race,why change that

That said I was thinking of having a separate GG with team mates.
We would put all our names in a pool and draw for teams.
We have a few monthes to work out the details for the rules

Another good thing would be if you see your teamie hasn't made his
picks you could remind him by pm.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
Good to have you back, LoNeR! We've missed you in the Chat Room during the races.

I MISSED UUE GUYS TOO! Will be back with uue guys real soon! Getting my internet connection up at home by 24th Dec! Juz before christmas! HaHa! Right now juz haf to head down to my grandparents house everyday just to use the internet...
'The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
As long as you're more enthusiastic than Kimi  :P  

Good to hear from you Lon - hope school is going well.   :good:

We are both enthusiatic! And we are both motivated too! HaHa~

Anyway, NO MORE SCHOOL, HaHa! Graduated a few weeks ago from Secondary School. I thought that I did pretty well during the examinations, juz haf to wait till January to see if it is really the case.

Catch Up with uue guys REAL SOON! ;)
'The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
In 5 years of the GG it has always come down to the
last race,why change that

That said I was thinking of having a separate GG with team mates.
We would put all our names in a pool and draw for teams.
We have a few monthes to work out the details for the rules

Another good thing would be if you see your teamie hasn't made his
picks you could remind him by pm.

Thats a GREAT IDEA! So I wouldn't need to lose point for every race juz because I submitted my picks late two years ago... HaHa

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Welcome back LoNer, glad to hear that you think you done ok in your exams. You are going to be busy running backwards and forwards to your grandparents if you want to do the Advent competition.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
Welcome back LoNer, glad to hear that you think you done ok in your exams. You are going to be busy running backwards and forwards to your grandparents if you want to do the Advent competition.

Nah... Its not veri far away from my home... As uue noe, Singapore is a small country but I wun be able to do that everyday becuz I gotta wrk... So wun be participating in the Advert this year round. =(

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
The rules look good to me, Dare. Hopefully next year I will remember to actually make predictions for all the races and hand my wooden spoon over to somebody else...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline sprite

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:18:41 AM »
I'm happy with the rules.

Count me in for another year.

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
If there is no outright winner the player with the greatest number of
correct pole picks will be the winner.If the players are still tied the
player with the highest single non du race score will be winner.
If still tied Wizzo will draw a winner from his top hat
[hopefully a name will be pulled out and not the hat size label]

Any questions feel free to ask
for me, one thing i'd like to see eliminated is the 'prediction' of RAIN or not.. for all the effort of inputting our weather report checking,  it comes down to 'yes/no'... and then the complication of it raining but drivers ignoring the drizzle and staying on slicks ~  

the other question i have, is the number of participants. is there a max? a limit? i want to be sure to get my 'entry' application :)  but seriously,  if 40 people apply, how do you decide who gets to 'race'.. or what the cut off point is?  mostly just curious- i've no problem with any amount of players.

something that tickles the back of my mind, but i'm not sure what/how, is if we had the same number of players as F1 teams...and each player were randomly assigned a team that ...... and that's as far as i get :P   but there are so many creative minds here, i thought i'd toss it out there... feel free to toss it out - period :D
====================
ok i got it...  each player predicts the TOTAL finishing POSITIONS of his 'team'.... use this instead of Rain = yes/no.   
example:  i get Williams .. i have to pick where the 2 cars will finish (so i say 17) now they could finish 5th and 12th ... or 4th and 16th.. or 8th and 9th ~  any other combo is WRONG. but now, each of us will have to study his team.  -  NOTE! "his team" rather than "any" team, because that way the poor guy that does the calculations doesn't have to enter a different team/player each race.

'ey? now what do you think of THAT?  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:46:07 PM by bo bruce »
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline romephius

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:05 PM »
The current rule and scoring system is the way it is now to keep things simple (so newbies can play) and also fit within the capabilities of MS Excel.  The reason for the link to the capabilities of Excel is because before we created a scoresheet, Dare was calculating scores on paper and it was taking him hours.  We didn't want Dare sacraficing so much time for what should be a fun game for all.  So, I came up with an Excel spreadsheet and over several months we refined it and tweaked it, until, we finally got the version we run now, which only requires peoples picks be input (the most time consuming part) and then once the race is done, Dare inputs the results, scores are instantly calculated and displayed for him, including a season total and a tracker for who has used their double points.

Several people floated the idea of taking our predictions to 10, to match the current points system of F1.  Sadly due to Excel limitations I was unable to created a scoresheet that could process to 10 positions (8 is the maximum).  The system you are proposing is outside what I can do.

On a personal opinion though.... sorry, I'm not a fan of the proposed idea, but, as always this is just my opinion.  I have my reasons, but, none that I need to post here.  Unless asked to.

Offline Ian

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
My vote would be to keep it as it is, as I've said before, it's a fun game. I'm with you there Rom  :good: .
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »
I think anyone who finishes in the last 5 places should get an extra 20 points to start the new season  :tease: :tease: :tease: ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
Being a newbie, I dunno what the rules are - can someone direct me to them please? Thank you!

Jugirl

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »
I think anyone who finishes in the last 5 places should get an extra 20 points to start the new season  :tease: :tease: :tease: ;)

In that case Scott i think champions should get 2 extra DU 's  :crazy: :crazy:

I like the GG just the way it is  :good:

Keep up the good work Dare

Ju

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle