collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 208
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11284 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Whiting may attend First Test Amid Legality Rumours  (Read 1098 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Whiting may attend First Test Amid Legality Rumours
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »

Charlie might check things himself in Jerez, says Daily Telegraph.  

"There are reports that the FIA's technical director Charlie Whiting may travel to Jerez next week due to concerns over the designs of the new cars." says Tom Cary, the F1 Correspondent for the Daily Telegraph.

Rumours are being generated that some teams are flying too close to the limits of the regulations with their new cars, notwithstanding the banning of blown exhausts. At the launch of the new McLaren, for instance, the exhausts and the diffuser were carefully hidden. Though I'm sure Macca are not the only team Charlie will want to run his rule book over. ;)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:39:13 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

Re: Whiting may attend First Test Amid Legality Rumors
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
As long as they are within the limits there should'nt be a problem, unless Ferrari lose out of course.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Whiting may attend First Test Amid Legality Rumours
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
Wait, in the past they didn't bother checking if cars were legal or not during testing?

I suppose cars are allowed to be 'illegal' during testing, but having someone on hand to give a definitive answer would seem to make sense.

Or is that my downfall, assuming the FIA makes sense?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:47 AM »
I can see it now:

Charlie runs into a garage at Juarez and shouts, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
The reasoning used to go along the lines of " We can't rule on the legality of a car until it is officially presented for technical inspection". There was some doubt that the Brawn would be allowed to run in '09.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
Wait, in the past they didn't bother checking if cars were legal or not during testing?

I suppose cars are allowed to be 'illegal' during testing, but having someone on hand to give a definitive answer would seem to make sense.

Or is that my downfall, assuming the FIA makes sense?

Until this year cars didn't even have to be crash tested ahead of testing. It makes sense that teams are allowed unrestricted testing to run new ideas which may or may not prove to be legal, then if the ideas don't work they never put them on a car for a race anyway.

I'm sure Lonny is right, you can run anything until you offer the car for pre race scrutineering.  However with limited testing in F1 now the teams will probably prefer Charlie's early decision on any controversial areas, giving them more time if they need to make changes before Australia.

One downside is that there may be fewer suprises for all of us, including the scrutineers, to get excited about on cars for the opening race.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:06 AM »
With pre-race inspections, we might never have seen things like ground effects, or even wings.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
The reasoning used to go along the lines of " We can't rule on the legality of a car until it is officially presented for technical inspection". There was some doubt that the Brawn would be allowed to run in '09.

That's what I thought.  He can privately tell the team that either they're dreaming if they think it will pass, or that it is no problem, but it isn't set in stone until the car is inspected at race 1 by the FIA team.  It can still fail, even if Charlie thinks it is 'OK'.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle